Who would you call a marquee signing

8 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Given the comments made by Stubbs about signing marquee players who seriously would you class as marquee. I fear these comments will come back to bite him. 

Any signing which is above the quality of our usual targets and that make other club's supporters worried.

Actually delivering for us on the park would be helpful too.

I would have called Victor and Archibald 'marquee signings' but that was at a time when we thought we could spend above our weight and the banks would support that approach.

Nowadays, I agree it would be someone who both other teams and Managers worry about if they are in our team.

I'd say any player who has performed consistently well for a club at the level we are currently playing at or above. That's a realistic benchmark.

Given that we are newly promoted, that would realistically be a case of nicking a good player from the likes of Kilmarnock or Motherwell (think Dargo, when he initially signed), or a fringe player at Celtic (eg  Johnny Hayes) or similar.

It could be argued that Camara and Djemba Djemba were marquee signings on the face of it, but few of us would want to go down that road (dark alley) again.

I would have said that Craig Dargo, Steven Thompson and Gary Teale were marquee signings. 

Dargo possibly more so than the others as we kind of felt that we were getting someone at their peak as opposed to guys who were now taking a step down for the latter parts of their career.

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Seriously though, how about a Scot trying to rebuild his career- Jordan Rhodes- might need to take a wage cut but hey ho 

He's English.  Opted to play for Scotland.  Never played for a Scottish club.