Who would you call a marquee signing

23 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Did Stubbs ever use the term "marquee signing"? If he did I must have missed it.

All I heard was him talking about "a couple of exciting signings" or something like that.

He is quoted by the BBC as having said it here; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44828042

He said on the St Mirren TV interview we would have a couple of good players coming in this week, who obviously haven't arrived.  I assume therefore he was thinking of the boy from Celtic only for Rodgers to change his mind, and possibly even Stokes who has thankfully moved to Iran.

I'd imagine its back to the drawing board now.  As pointed out above we have had a few "big names" come in over the years only for them to be complete duds.  The important thing is getting quality players in the door, but we really could do with things moving along now.  There are only a couple warm up games left before we face Dundee.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

He is quoted by the BBC as having said it here; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44828042

He said on the St Mirren TV interview we would have a couple of good players coming in this week, who obviously haven't arrived.  I assume therefore he was thinking of the boy from Celtic only for Rodgers to change his mind, and possibly even Stokes who has thankfully moved to Iran.

I'd imagine its back to the drawing board now.  As pointed out above we have had a few "big names" come in over the years only for them to be complete duds.  The important thing is getting quality players in the door, but we really could do with things moving along now.  There are only a couple warm up games left before we face Dundee.

Yup.... The last part is on my mind. Not long 'till the season starts and would have been good to have a full squad. However, I guess it doesn't always work like that.

Lets hope we see some reinforcements soon.

1 minute ago, spankin_panda said:

Yup.... The last part is on my mind. Not long 'till the season starts and would have been good to have a full squad. However, I guess it doesn't always work like that.

Lets hope we see some reinforcements soon.

Kilmarnock, who haven't really had many changes in their squad, looked less prepared than us the other night.  I think parts of the squad are ready, but I can see us struggling to score goals at the start of the season unless we get the new strikers in over the coming few days.

Agree with all the above. There was a part of me thinking that we looked better as Killie were missing a few players (Boyd) and seemed lethargic. 

All in all, we looked good last Friday, however, the chances we crated and missed are a concern. I suspect you are right in that with the current team we look short of a goalscorer. Mullen works hard and is a good player but doesn't appear to have that killer instinct. 

Whats not helped is that last few seasons we have been able to make do without said type of striker as we have lots of goals from midfield (Mallan and Morgan)........ 

Hope I am wrong but I fear we lack in that department. 

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Did Stubbs ever use the term "marquee signing"? If he did I must have missed it.

All I heard was him talking about "a couple of exciting signings" or something like that.

"And Stubbs wants to sign more strikers before the league campaign begins.

"It is an area where we have got good players," he told BBC Scotland.

"But I want to add to that and, hopefully, fingers crossed, we can make a few marquee signings before the season starts."

Maybe Stubbsy misspoke?

26 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Most of Danny Lennon’s signings - Thommo, Teale, McGowan, Carey, Hasselbaink, Imrie were “marquee” signings. And by the way it’s marquis.

id say now a mackay Steven, Stevie May, Darren bent would be in the marquis category 

Don't ruin it now. Marquee will cover it.

6 hours ago, pod said:

Do you now that for a fact.

Is nationality a factual thing? How do you define Scottishness Pod? For me Rhodes totally fits the bill. Spent his early years growing up in Scotland. Cut about in a Scotland shirt as a kid. But probably more importantly than anything, at a point in his career when he was being touted as the next best thing, he chose to play for Scotland. 

Jordan Rhodes’s commitment to Scotland is beyond doubt.

If you want to bang on about Dominic Matteo or Phil Bardsley then I’m right behind you. Not oor Jordan though. Jordan is a Scottish as haggis as far as I’m concerned.