Unbeaten in Competitive Matches

If the boot was on the other foot the same would apply. We might have felt aggrieved had we been the ones going out, but the rules have been known since this format was unveiled two years ago. And everyone knew what they had to do going into the last game to qualify, even if some - like us - were relying on a couple of results to go our way.
If the boot was on the other foot I'd like to think we'd have been moaning about oir failure to beat/score heavily against part ters rather than complaining about the format of the competition which,as others have pointed out already, we're well publicised and the same for everyone.

Now we are back in the Prem i am not the biggest fan of this format of the league cup. You only have to read some of the rampant hysteria on here over what were four pre-season games where we actually dominated, and almost won all of them in ninety minutes, to see it really distracts managers, coaches, players and fans from just wanting to get everyone onboard and match fit for next Saturday. That was, and rightly should be Stubbzo only aim for these games.

that said this format gives teams from the championship down a real opportunity to progress, sttay involved and make them a few bob from visiting big club fans. Better for them than going out after one game in July, not sure its a beneit to the likes of us now.... 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I reckon everyone knew the rules of the competition before it started, it's now in its third year of this format, so there's no justification for eejits crying about things.

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Beat me to it.

We all knew the rules before the competition kicked off - its been that way for two years.

Teams should be basing there tactics around what points they need from the known framework and not bump their collective gums when they fail.

Just because we knew the rules before the competition started doesnt mean they are any good.

I don't think the guy was suggesting changing the rules half way through or anything.

The format is a bit of a farce for multiple reasons. Another not mentioned is the fact that Aberdeen, Celtic etc can get to a national cup final on the back of playing 3 games.

4 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Just because we knew the rules before the competition started doesnt mean they are any good.

I don't think the guy was suggesting changing the rules half way through or anything.

The format is a bit of a farce for multiple reasons. Another not mentioned is the fact that Aberdeen, Celtic etc can get to a national cup final on the back of playing 3 games.

That was also the case prior to the format change.

We've been a bit of an anomaly this season but while I'd be mildly annoyed if the situation had been reversed them's the rules and it's not a situation I see as being repeated regularly.

Just now, buddies1877 said:

Were they even in the 1974 World Cup?

Did they lose on penalties then? If so that means they lost we didn’t

Scotland went out without losing a game in 1974

1-1 with Yugoslavia

0-0 with Brazil

2-0 with Zaire

13 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

And ?

People can keep making as many pointless example from 1800s makes no difference.

We didn’t lose a game we’re still in the cup

I think the point he is making very clear.

After you had correctly rubbished some nonsense about Belgium in the 1974 WC, he correctly pointed out that in fact Scotland had suffered that fate.

So to use a slightly amended version of your statement............We didn't lose a  game and were out of the cup.

So if you are still in any doubt about this highly convoluted and ambiguous notion.....

You suggest that not being beaten was a rationale for not being out of the cup.

Someone else gave you an example of why that rationale is a load of bollocks.

Here to help.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Never said whether I thought the rules were good or not - just that there's no justification for them crying about it.

I think the point he is making very clear.
After you had correctly rubbished some nonsense about Belgium in the 1974 WC, he correctly pointed out that in fact Scotland had suffered that fate.
So to use a slightly amended version of your statement............We didn't lose a  game and were out of the cup.
So if you are still in any doubt about this highly convoluted and ambiguous notion.....
You suggest that not being beaten was a rationale for not being out of the cup.
Someone else gave you an example of why that rationale is a load of bollocks.
Here to help.

True but it’s also a load of bollocks when we are clearly discussing a cup competition in Scotland in 2018 that has recently changed but people are trying to relate it to a World Cup in 1974

35 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

True but it’s also a load of bollocks when we are clearly discussing a cup competition in Scotland in 2018 that has recently changed but people are trying to relate it to a World Cup in 1974

Hate to be pedantic, but your post said simply...

"It’s a cup competition we never lost a game why shouldn’t we be in it"

So I'd say the WC (which is a cup competition) is completely relevant in response to your statement.

It's also very relevant in the sense that it's a cup competition with a league format. So, the prospect of going out without losing a game is very realistic. Your statement would only have made sense in a straight knock out competition.

Not sure the relevance of the year.

It's ok to admit you were wrong now.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Hate to be pedantic, but your post said simply...

"It’s a cup competition we never lost a game why shouldn’t we be in it"

So I'd say the WC (which is a cup competition) is completely relevant in response to your statement.

It's also very relevant in the sense that it's a cup competition with a league format. So, the prospect of going out without losing a game is very realistic. Your statement would only have made sense in a straight knock out competition.

Not sure the relevance of the year.

It's ok to admit you were wrong now.

My statement made sense to the fact the topic was the Scottish league cup that has completely different rules and also as far as I’m aware st Mirren have never and will never make a World Cup.

Oh wait I should of mentioned we were discussing st Mirren aswell my fault sorry again

Is also more of a question than a statement to pedantic.... f**k question mark shoot me dead now

7 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

My statement made sense to the fact the topic was the Scottish league cup that has completely different rules and also as far as I’m aware st Mirren have never and will never make a World Cup.

Oh wait I should of mentioned we were discussing st Mirren aswell my fault sorry again

Is also more of a question than a statement to pedantic.... f**k question mark shoot me dead now

I have nothing to add to my previous factually correct posts.

16 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Its ok at least you were pedantic

Ok let’s try this one (last) time and I’ll keep it relevant to this year’s Scottish League Cup.

I think there were many scenarios that could have seen us go out without losing a game but let me give you a specific example. 

Had we only won 1-0 on Saturday and ICT had only lost 4-0 on Sunday, we would be out the competition without losing a game.

NOW will you admit that your comment was stupid?