Going to the match today I passed quite a number of Sunderland fans and exchanged a lot of good will which was returned in kind.  A good atmosphere I thought given the long journey those fans made to support their team and visit our ground.  As much as I like banter between fans, when I heard the cry of, 'If you hate the f**king English...' I thought it was totally out of order. 

If we decry the OF for their bigotry and hateful chants, then that was no better.

4 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Going to the match today I passed quite a number of Sunderland fans and exchanged a lot of good will which was returned in kind.  A good atmosphere I thought given the long journey those fans made to support their team and visit our ground.  As much as I like banter between fans, when I heard the cry of, 'If you hate the f**king English...' I thought it was totally out of order. 

If we decry the OF for their bigotry and hateful chants, then that was no better.

Assuming you haven't been to a saint game in England then ? 

4 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Oh lighten up FFS!

I'm sure I heard the Sunderland fans singing "God save the Queen" as a GIRUY to us.

I found it quite amusing.

The day that Scotland and England fans stop singing that they "hate" each other will be sad day indeed.

1 hour ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Been coming up for 35 years and have generally been  made to feel welcome and that I'm  amongst friends but pleased I wasn't  among the crowd today.  Did have to suffer the same anti English chant when we played Bradford a few seasons back and have to admit to wondering 'why bother' at the time. Geographically I'm English but don't  share the patriotism of those further South. I reckon I probably get as annoyed by some of the English fans and media as some Scots. History plays a big part of course and shouldn't  take such chants personally but sometimes  easier said than done.

Edited by john scott

Sunderland fans were at it with their chants most of the game!

Not a nice chant I suppose, but I don't think it was meant with much more venom than "hate Morton" etc and an understandable reaction to hearing God Save the f**king Queen in your home stadium.

16 hours ago, Kemp said:

Sunderland fans were at it with their chants most of the game!

Not a nice chant I suppose, but I don't think it was meant with much more venom than "hate Morton" etc and an understandable reaction to hearing God Save the f**king Queen in your home stadium.

I don't think you can compare "If you hate the fking English" chants to anything we sing against Morton. I go to most Scotland games and hate it when they start singing that. 

I don't mind calling a rival club all the b*st*rds under the sun but it can't stand it when its against a country/nationality. 

15 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I don't think you can compare "If you hate the fking English" chants to anything we sing against Morton. I go to most Scotland games and hate it when they start singing that. 

I don't mind calling a rival club all the b*st*rds under the sun but it can't stand it when its against a country/nationality. 

Yes fair point.  Being a Morton fan is, bizarrely, a choice rather than a nationality.

I just meant in its particular context yesterday it obviously wasn't being sung with any great malice as I assume the Sunderland fans were only signing Rule Britannia and GSTQ to get that type of reaction.  Could do without any of it though, I agree!

Absolutely spot on. I was disgusted the minute I heard it. Club could take action again on W6 and W7. Well out of order.

Oh lighten up FFS!
I'm sure I heard the Sunderland fans singing "God save the Queen" as a GIRUY to us.
I found it quite amusing.
The day that Scotland and England fans stop singing that they "hate" each other will be sad day indeed.
Why should it matter what other teams sing. Our only concern should be the good name of St.Mirren FC

54 minutes ago, Cairters_Corner said:

What about “you couldn’t hear the soldier song”? Sooner this stops getting sung the better. 

Wait, what? Why? 

No one is singing the Soldiers Song, no one is glorifying it. So by removing a passing reference to a song that one of the arsecheeks sing, we essentially deny it exists. The sentiment behind the song is that we pumped them off the park and shut their bile up. 

I totally get the banishment of the  FTPAFTQ lyric from several years ago and why it should stop being sung as although the reason behind us singing it was to distance ourselves away from bigotry, the action of doing so made us just as bad as those who spew it on a weekly basis.

However there is no need to remove a passing reference to one of their songs in a song we sing that is in no way sectarian or offensive. 

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Wait, what? Why? 

No one is singing the Soldiers Song, no one is glorifying it. So by removing a passing reference to a song that one of the arsecheeks sing, we essentially deny it exists. The sentiment behind the song is that we pumped them off the park and shut their bile up. 

I totally get the banishment of the  FTPAFTQ lyric from several years ago and why it should stop being sung as although the reason behind us singing it was to distance ourselves away from bigotry, the action of doing so made us just as bad as those who spew it on a weekly basis.

However there is no need to remove a passing reference to one of their songs in a song we sing that is in no way sectarian or offensive. 

“Deny it exists?”- I’ve read a lot of nonsense on here over the years, but this takes this biscuit!

No way offensive? I’ve supported St. Mirren for over 40 years and originally come from the Republic. Why not sing ‘Couldn’t hear the Celtic fans’ then?  It’s not “one of their songs either.

Football songs should only ever reference football. Leave my National Anthem out of it.

8 minutes ago, Cairters_Corner said:

Football songs should only ever reference football. Leave my National Anthem out of it.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the lyrics to our song. It IS purely a football song. That the Soldier Song is passively mentioned in the song is neither here nor there. 

It's a passing reference to our fans drowning out a song they sing (by definition, one of their songs) whether it's the Irish National Anthem or not. 

I really don't understand the offense taken by this lyric.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not sure if you're aware of the lyrics to our song. It IS purely a football song. That the Soldier Song is passively mentioned in the song is neither here nor there. 

It's a passing reference to our fans drowning out a song they sing (by definition, one of their songs) whether it's the Irish National Anthem or not. 

I’m fully aware of the lyrics. There is no necessity to mention the Soldier Song. A reference to Celtic fans rather than a National Anthem would then mean it was purely a football song. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, john scott said:

Been coming up for 35 years and have generally been  made to feel welcome and that I'm  amongst friends but pleased I wasn't  among the crowd today.  Did have to suffer the same anti English chant when we played Bradford a few seasons back and have to admit to wondering 'why bother' at the time. Geographically I'm English but don't  share the patriotism of those further South. I reckon I probably get as annoyed by some of the English fans and media as some Scots. History plays a big part of course and shouldn't  take such chants personally but sometimes  easier said than done.

Still in touch with a few Bradford fans who travelled up for that game. Clearly weren't too offended, one of the lads actually travelled up to watch us play QOTS. Had him singing Saints songs in the Spread Eagle :lol:

Plus isn't the soldier song the Irish national anthem. I might be mistaken. Feel free to correct me.

Guest TPAFKATS
I’m fully aware of the lyrics. There is no necessity to mention the Soldier Song. A reference to Celtic fans rather than a National Anthem would then mean it was purely a football song. 

I've heard other versions of this line. In addition to the soldier song reference, there's also
Couldn't hear the whistle go
and another making reference to celtic fans

I'm not sure what is offensive about the original though as its not referring to the national anthem of Ireland, its referring to a song sung by celtic fans.