Three Questions Top Man Jimbo Could Ask Stubbs

Its called man management. Some players need an arm round the shoulder and made feel wanted. They are kids basically. If he had shown a bit more desire to keep him and a more tactful man management approach we would have a proven goalscorer in the squad rather than the two we are stuck with at the moment. 

It’s called he was hanging off to see if he could get a better offer elsewhere don’t kid yourself. He was dropped by JR for a reason in the final run in.

Eckersley seems to be the latest player who has became some kind of world beater since he’s dropped out the side.

There’s clearly some issues with the team just now, but Adam Eckersley isn’t the answer. Punting him is absolutely the right call.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Eckersley seems to be the latest player who has became some kind of world beater since he’s dropped out the side.

There’s clearly some issues with the team just now, but Adam Eckersley isn’t the answer. Punting him is absolutely the right call.

Aye, quite a wee list. :wink:

I happen to like Eckersley but I'd wager he'd have been gone, along with the other names that are out of the picture, if Ross had been here with less wailing. :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Eckersley is a solid and unspectacular hand to have in the squad and rarely let's us down. He'd certainly be able to at least do a reliable enough turn for a year. Punting a player is only the right call if you have the quality lined up to replace them, Lex. 

As it stands as of writing, punting Eckersley is absolutely not the right call. 

Eckersley is a solid and unspectacular hand to have in the squad and rarely let's us down. He'd certainly be able to at least do a reliable enough turn for a year. Punting a player is only the right call if you have the quality lined up to replace them, Lex. 
As it stands as of writing, punting Eckersley is absolutely not the right call. 

Well there’s over a month of the transfer window to go. I expect us to sign around 8 more players.

Eckersley was found wanting in several games towards the end of last season, Dundee Utd away being one that immediately springs to mind.

He’s never good enough for the Premiership and I’m sure Stubbs can see that.

We can’t be keeping players who aren’t up to Premiership level. Getting him off the wage bill (if someone will take him, and there doesn’t appear to be many clubs interested, which tells it’s own story) would be a real bonus.

But on the rest of the OP, the first two questions are fair enough.

Sign some proven SPFL Premiership players and no more diddies from the English non league and/or Scottish seaside leagues.

We’ve had enough of them over the last 5 years to last us a lifetime. Not one of them has made it since McGregor and it doesn’t look like any of this batch will change that trend.

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well there’s over a month of the transfer window to go. I expect us to sign around 8 more players.

Eckersley was found wanting in several games towards the end of last season, Dundee Utd away being one that immediately springs to mind.

He’s never good enough for the Premiership and I’m sure Stubbs can see that.

We can’t be keeping players who aren’t up to Premiership level. Getting him off the wage bill (if someone will take him, and there doesn’t appear to be many clubs interested, which tells it’s own story) would be a real bonus.

That may be the case but at this point in time, what do we have that is? 

As I said, I've no problem with a player leaving if a player of higher quality is there as a replacement.

At this moment in time, punting Eckersley will weaken us and I can only go on the previous surgery that has been performed on our squad so far, so forgive me for not being that confident that any replacement will necessarily be an improvement. 

Eckersley’s is a solid defender who I would like to keep personally but the manager has to be given time to build his own squad with his own players as he will be judged on that in time.

What I have noticed about Eckersley is that he has won the Championship 3 times with 3 different club and all 3 including ourselves have released him or in our case told him to leave.

8 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Which then opens up questions about Stubbs' management style. 2 senior-ish players with contracts for the season out the picture and picking up a wage not to play or feature as subs unless the players take the initiative and find a new club to make things easier for a manager who has ruled them out before he has seen them play for him even in a friendly game!

Perhaps the reasons stem from the time spent in LA Manga. He was clear that everybody had a point to prove to earn the right to play.  

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, quite a wee list. :wink:

I happen to like Eckersley but I'd wager he'd have been gone, along with the other names that are out of the picture, if Ross had been here with less wailing. :rolleyes:

Ross had worked with both players for 18 months and had them signed up for the season ahead. Stubbs dropped both after 1 week pre-season training and not seeing them in match action other than as a BT Sports pundit.

From what I've seem of Stubbs both as manager and pundit imo he comes across all chill and laconic, he seems fatigued with questions and frankly his demeanour is not exactly one that threatens to explode with bursts of inspiration and effervescence. Maybe its just me but he seems to have morphed into the Reverend I.M Jolly. As for the 'player turnaround' and the new broom and all that, it appears on the face of it to have been radical and almost too quick in some cases. The brief outings so far reveal a need to buff up kinda rapid................presently not a fan of the coaching staff or management style.

Someone else commented ( in another thread ?) that the change in nature, culture, feel of the club between winning the Championship  last season and now is incredible. For me the place feels entirely new and like something you bought at a sale and are trying hard to justify to like

Hell, who knows, early days I suppose, its all I've go so lets go all positive with Confucius.............better a diamond with a flaw that a pebble without.

We shall see.

Sign some proven SPFL Premiership players and no more diddies from the English non league and/or Scottish seaside leagues.

We’ve had enough of them over the last 5 years to last us a lifetime. Not one of them has made it since McGregor and it doesn’t look like any of this batch will change that trend.

I think it's way to early to make a call on the ability of the new signings. Give these.young lads time and I'm sure we'll enjoy wathing them flourish as the season progresses. Perhaps not all, but the majority.
AS does know a player when he sees one.

I don't think he ever had it in the first place.
I don't believe we have a dressing room at the moment. Too many new signings, young guys moving up from England, stepping up a level too. I don't believe it's divided, just not together. Guys like Cammy Smith and Baird need to step up and help McGinn get everyone settled in and focused.

2 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
15 hours ago, LargsBud said:
I don't think he ever had it in the first place.

I don't believe we have a dressing room at the moment. Too many new signings, young guys moving up from England, stepping up a level too. I don't believe it's divided, just not together. Guys like Cammy Smith and Baird need to step up and help McGinn get everyone settled in and focused.

Cammy looks unhappy and out of sorts. Big Jack seems to be revelling in it and gave one of the new boys a right earful against Spartans.

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Perhaps the reasons stem from the time spent in LA Manga. He was clear that everybody had a point to prove to earn the right to play.  

I fear you are correct St.Ricky. Unfortunately, it looks like Stubbsy has deployed some sort of wacky psychometric testing that didn't involve ability with a baw.

6 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

We could ask him, "why were you and DJ at the golf getting pissed on Thursday when you have a football club to get straightened out?"

You are right. He should be under house arrest and denied his liberty until loonies in our support are satisfied by his performance in preseason...

FFS

27 minutes ago, Soctty said:

You are right. He should be under house arrest and denied his liberty until loonies in our support are satisfied by his performance in preseason...

FFS

Really?   At this stage of the season he should be putting every effort into getting the little quality he has at his disposal into shape for a league campaign rather than whining to strangers that he hasn't been given a budget.

By all accounts, that team was poorly prepared on Saturday  and the trialists were particularly shafted.  Maybe, if he could have dragged himself to work 2 days before a meaningful friendly and got some prep done, we could have looked a bit more business like.

I am also bemused by the notion that pre-season is unimportant and that the real work starts in the league season.  Planning and prep hours are ten times more valuable than reacting to problems. 

50 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Really?   At this stage of the season he should be putting every effort into getting the little quality he has at his disposal into shape for a league campaign rather than whining to strangers that he hasn't been given a budget.

By all accounts, that team was poorly prepared on Saturday  and the trialists were particularly shafted.  Maybe, if he could have dragged himself to work 2 days before a meaningful friendly and got some prep done, we could have looked a bit more business like.

I am also bemused by the notion that pre-season is unimportant and that the real work starts in the league season.  Planning and prep hours are ten times more valuable than reacting to problems. 

He's allowed time off, just as everyone is. Regarding whining to strangers, I take it that's idle gossip that you're throwing into the mix, just to help the manager?

Who said pre-season is unimportant? Results are unimportant, performances are important but not the be all and end all - gaining fitness and sharpness is the most important thing of all. If we aren't ready and firing on day 1 of the league season, that will be a concern to me. The fact we haven't invested what we needed to in the playing squad is something that should be down to the board as much as - if not more than - the manager. By the whispers of his whining, it appears that others have the same concerns on that front.

You seem incredibly annoyed that the manager and assistant had a day off on Thursday. Can you detail their hours in the weeks since they've been in charge? Or are you content to simply throw mud at them, along with some tittle tattle that you've heard on the grapevine?

14 hours ago, TopCat said:

When's the "Alan Stubbs Must Go" thread being unveiled?