At this point, what do we still need?

Trying to keep this as neutral as possible and not letting emotion cloud judgement but what does everyone believe we still need at this point in order to go into the new season with a bit more confidence than we currently have? 

If Stubbs swallows down his pride and accepts he was being hasty in his appraisal and that Gary McKenzie (once fit again) and Adam Eckersley have roles to play in this side, Magennis comes back soon and he gets Cammy Smith back playing behind the front man where he belongs rather than out wide where he's completely wasted and clearly not happy, I reckon we could get away with just bringing in a first choice centre forward, winger and another right back and the damage to the squad might not be as catastrophic as it seems just now. 

McKenzie and Eckersley are both the wrong side of 30 and neither are the fastest but both being involved would certainly improve the squad in its current state by being involved again in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Trying to keep this as neutral as possible and not letting emotion cloud judgement but what does everyone believe we still need at this point in order to go into the new season with a bit more confidence than we currently have? 

If Stubbs swallows down his pride and accepts he was being hasty in his appraisal and that Gary McKenzie (once fit again) and Adam Eckersley have roles to play in this side, Magennis comes back soon and he gets Cammy Smith back playing behind the front man where he belongs rather than out wide where he's completely wasted and clearly not happy, I reckon we could get away with just bringing in a first choice centre forward, winger and another right back and the damage to the squad might not be as catastrophic as it seems just now. 

McKenzie and Eckersley are both the wrong side of 30 and neither are the fastest but both being involved would certainly improve the squad in its current state by being involved again in my opinion. 

Calm heads. Stop the ‘knicker-wetting’ and let the guy do his job. 

Defensive midfielder; centre forward; right full back (competition for McGinn), left full back (assuming Eckersley isn't getting a look in) as competition for Coulson, and to let him to play left wing on occasion.

Jury still out on centre half position, though an experienced CH would be good.  I don't think MacKenzie is dominant enough for the top league and his injury record is a concern.

I think a defensive midfielder is critical, as the defence needs support. We need another leader in the squad, as McGinn can't carry it on his own.

Arguably, we need 2 strikers, but I am trying to be realistic. I genuinely think that Stewart has something about him. I wouldn't be loaning him out unless we sign another two forwards.

So that is 4 additional players at the very least.

If I had a backbone would I have accepted Craig, Murray and rae and given them more time, I'll bet you Gary Teale will be telling anyone who'll listen that if Craig was sacked earlier we'd never have been relegated. I know it's early, and of course he can't be binned yet. But there is no doubt that this is the same as the Craig season, the killie game the same as the first game against motherwell that year, played well and drew, but it was all downhill from there, unheard of non league English players, poor tactics, good players played out of position - any of this ringing a bell?

33 minutes ago, Mykey said:

A holding mid, a centre half, and a manager

10 minutes ago, Mykey said:

. I know it's early, and of course he can't be binned yet.

But there is no doubt that this is the same as the Craig season

Ok then, a man that knows his mind. :lol:

What a fecking astounding statement. :hammer

Ok then, a man that knows his mind. [emoji38]
We've given the man a three year deal, of course we can't bin him before the league season starts, but there's no way this doesn't remind us all of Craig's season.

8 minutes ago, Mykey said:
15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
Ok then, a man that knows his mind. emoji38.png

We've given the man a three year deal, of course we can't bin him before the league season starts, but there's no way this doesn't remind us all of Craig's season.

Apart from the players, manager, coaching staff and board of directors all being completely different, what is it that reminds you of that season?

Edited by Soctty

28 minutes ago, Mykey said:

If I had a backbone would I have accepted Craig, Murray and rae and given them more time, I'll bet you Gary Teale will be telling anyone who'll listen that if Craig was sacked earlier we'd never have been relegated. I know it's early, and of course he can't be binned yet. But there is no doubt that this is the same as the Craig season, the killie game the same as the first game against motherwell that year, played well and drew, but it was all downhill from there, unheard of non league English players, poor tactics, good players played out of position - any of this ringing a bell?

Teale can say that, but he also lead us to a 0-5 pumping at the hands of Motherwell in a must win game. That was the nail in the coffin for him.

Teale can say that, but he also lead us to a 0-5 pumping at the hands of Motherwell in a must win game. That was the nail in the coffin for him.

Nail in the coffin was letting our main man go on a gentleman’s agreement on the last day of the window.

I think we need a minimum of 5 new players

wingers and strikers be the main area we need to strengthen then full backs for competition for mcginn and coulson.

I'm not defending Teale, I'm simply stating that when it fails it fails. Top cat looked like a Diddy when he started the tick tock thread, and believe me I'd be thrilled to be called a Diddy for these comments come the end of the season if Stubbs turns it round the way Ross did, and yes the players, manager, board etc. Are different from the Craig season, but a manager has just been given a long contract, the recruitment is similar, the lack of tactical nous, the playing players out of position, and given the marquee signing comments I wouldn't be surprised if a list of targets missed came out of Stubbs pocket at the q & a, nearly all of the feelgood factor has gone, the fans don't feel a connection in the same way, part of that is how articulate the manager is, and partly how much they sook up to us, and if everything is OK on the park these things don't matter as much, but when we're playing as we are now............

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Defensive midfielder; centre forward; right full back (competition for McGinn), left full back (assuming Eckersley isn't getting a look in) as competition for Coulson, and to let him to play left wing on occasion.

Jury still out on centre half position, though an experienced CH would be good.  I don't think MacKenzie is dominant enough for the top league and his injury record is a concern.

I think a defensive midfielder is critical, as the defence needs support. We need another leader in the squad, as McGinn can't carry it on his own.

Arguably, we need 2 strikers, but I am trying to be realistic. I genuinely think that Stewart has something about him. I wouldn't be loaning him out unless we sign another two forwards.

So that is 4 additional players at the very least.

I can’t see Stewart being here. He’s simply not at the level required. He probably isn’t even a championship player 

3 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

I can’t see Stewart being here. He’s simply not at the level required. He probably isn’t even a championship player 

We improved on Tuesday after he replaced Cooke, so take from that what you will.

Apart from the players, manager, coaching staff and board of directors all being completely different, what is it that reminds you of that season?
I'm trying to not get my knickers drenched however seeing as you have asked what the similarities are here are the ones I see:

For me Jeff King really reminds me of Calum Ball.

Signing two guys of V9 fame reminds me of signing two wee guys from the Man City youth team. In that I know nothing about them but because they are the product of a big EPL brand then we should be dead excited about them.

We have signed a good left back.

Oh and I guess we are all pinning our hopes on a McGinn to drag us through....we will probably sell McGennis in January.

Oh and our current manager has managed Hibs and has Celtic connections just like TC.

Shit I've just depressed myself.

Hopefully none of these worries come to fruition but these are the similarities I see.

Just now, Drew said:

We improved on Tuesday after he replaced Cooke, so take from that what you will.

I would have been an improvement. No harm to the lad but he hasn’t got the aggression in the air for a big guy and he simply isn’t sharp in front of goal. Does a lot of running but no end product. Sure he was signed by jack but I have absolutely no doubt he will play no part in our campaign

And if he is our striker then we will go down . Amazing this game three months ago riding the crest of a wave then the boss goes the new guy comes in and hasn’t managed to get players in and with just two weeks till the kick off we are all over the place without a settled side and any real idea of who plays where etc. Can you imagine Ibrox on Matchday 2 with our current lot? It will be horrible

I would have been an improvement. No harm to the lad but he hasn’t got the aggression in the air for a big guy and he simply isn’t sharp in front of goal. Does a lot of running but no end product. Sure he was signed by jack but I have absolutely no doubt he will play no part in our campaign

Cooke was signed by Stubbs.