At this point, what do we still need?

It's not all doom and gloom.  Dundee got beat today by Dunfermline.  

The delay in bringing in players may be due to the McGinn delay.  I think we'll do alright and if we don't, I'd like to think there will be a clause in AS's contract saying if we're bottom of the league at Christmas then off you go and certainly, if we got relegated.  But let's not talk about that!!  AS has the awareness of what is required.  The trialists of Saturday are off - no messin'.  We'll be cheering on the 4th.

53 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

A wee bit of patience wouldn't go amiss,  we have 2 more games and 2 weeks before we face Dundee who themselves aren`t exactly pulling up trees, the manager needs to bring in a few quality signings he knows that,  The new guys are just in the door so far they haven't impressed, but give them a chance,

Correct! I for one was impressed by the showing g against Kilmarnock. I think most of us were.  But... Can we as fans make up our minds.  Is the Betfred Cup important or as many seem to suggest, merely friendlies in disguise?  If it is the former then we are in decent shape results wise.  If it is not then just like the match via Sunderland then we have had an opportunity to try things and people out.  As to quality signings... Happy to leave that to AS and TF. 

Edited by St.Ricky

We need to get past the Mackenzie / Eckersley thing.

Mackenzie is injury prone. He missed 22 league games last season. Eckersley is also injury prone and missed a third of last season. Coulson is a decent replacement.

We defo need at least 1 centre half, a striker and someone to replace Lewis Morgan (Micky Johnston potentially).

I like Magennis & McGinn in the centre of midfield but we need another to offer cover and competition.

32 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

It's not all doom and gloom.  Dundee got beat today by Dunfermline.  

The delay in bringing in players may be due to the McGinn delay.  I think we'll do alright and if we don't, I'd like to think there will be a clause in AS's contract saying if we're bottom of the league at Christmas then off you go and certainly, if we got relegated.  But let's not talk about that!!  AS has the awareness of what is required.  The trialists of Saturday are off - no messin'.  We'll be cheering on the 4th.

So your confident that Stubbs will use the money wisely. Not much evidence on his recruitment so far. Maybe he can spend a few more 75k's on National League North & South quality.

Edited by lenziebud

We need two players at least. One centre half who can cover at full back and a striker.

In 3 games we have lost 8 goals and scored 2.

As for Stubbs has been given a 3 year deal and any talk of him getting the sack any time soon is ludicrous. He has to be given and a chance to build his own squad and I will reflect on the start he has made after the 1st part of the season has gone.

Yesterday’s game was a glorified kickabout where we fielded a number of trialists. I would rather take this result now rather than in a league game. The game that bothered me was the Spartans as that was a competitive game. Friendlies are for experimenting results don’t matter.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Apart from the players, manager, coaching staff and board of directors all being completely different, what is it that reminds you of that season?

The complete disarray is vaguely familiar too !

49 minutes ago, billyg said:

The complete disarray is vaguely familiar too !

Top Man Jimbo: So Stubbsy, it's coming up to Christmas and we've still not won a league game at home. Have you got a message for the fans who are beginning to wonder if you'll consider your own position as manager?

Stubbsy: says nothing but just seethes for a bit with steam coming out of his ears before storming off.

On a more serious note, what do we need at this stage? I don't think things have been going well since May on the recruitment front for this season, and don't sense a lot of optimism about what the coming weeks will bring on the signings front. With that in mind, we need a decent percentage of the signings already made to work out well. Sounded out some friends who support Aberdeen and they all reckon Danny Rogers is a decent keeper and should do quite well.

Needs:
Proven 15 goal a season Premiership striker, quick left winger, experienced box-to-box midfielder in the mould of Steven Thomson, experienced Premiership centre half.

Would be nice:
Commanding experienced goalkeeper, two-sided full back, pacy striker, strong and experienced holding midfielder... and a miracle.

If only...

Eckersley and GMac are gone now. Stubbs can’t go back on that IMO. The whole defence is giving me fits the last two games. Even Coulson looks a bit ropey defensively so we need another centre half and a full back that is defensively solid.

A defensive midfielder that will start every week beside McGinn is a must and that will allow us to play Kyle wide right.

A wide man with pace and two strikers, one of which must be seen as the starter.

Pretty much all the holes we had when Stubbs joined. He’s not filled any of them adequately IMO although time will tell with Heaton.

ETA It’ll need to as we’ve given him a three year deal!

9 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Correct! I for one was impressed by the showing g against Kilmarnock. I think most of us were.  But... Can we as fans make up our minds.  Is the Betfred Cup important or as many seem to suggest, merely friendlies in disguise?  If it is the former then we are in decent shape results wise.  If it is not then just like the match via Sunderland then we have had an opportunity to try things and people out.  As to quality signings... Happy to leave that to AS and TF. 

The most sensible post on this thread.