At this point, what do we still need?

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I know everyone rips the piss out of England, but they went for a back three in the summer because it suits what they had at their disposal.

I wonder if we could do the same.

------------------------Samson----------------------

--------------Heaton - Kpekawa - Baird----------

McGinn-------Flynn-----McGinn--------Coulson

-------------------Magennis--------------------

--------------Smith-------------------------------

--------------------------Mark Kee----------------

Problem with that is you get pinned back by better teams (such as Croatia) but it lets us play Flynn, Magennis and Smith in the preferred positions. Coulson will be given licence to bomb on. We would just need a striker worthy of the name and a better RWB.

I reckon that could be making the best of our middle-to-front players - it's certainly a better option than sticking Cammy Smith out wide! 

I'd still be concerned about those particular 3 CB's. I've not seen Kpekawa yet but hear mixed reviews.  From what I saw of Heaton in the Spartans game he is miles off and will be a work in progress for him to realise the potential that Stubbs believes him to have - unless of course he was just extremely nervous in that 1st game. 

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

I don't think it is harsh to say that things are a bit demoralising just now. I feel deflated, and get the impression that plenty of others do too.

You talk about waiting to see how things develop which is the very point I've been making this morning. I'm trying to be balanced, here.

I think people have to let go of the past and move on.  We were on a high.  Now we face the reality of recruiting for the premiership and getting match fit whilst playing competitive games.  The transfer window has a good bit to run and still 2 more games to go before our league debut at home to Dundee.  Am I worried at this point?  No.  Neither am I complacent. Let's deal with Gus MacPherson and Queens Park on Tuesday.  You can be sure that Gus will have them wound up for this  one.  Unusual to be facing two teams in a row managed by Trophy Winning Ex Managers. 

12 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I think people have to let go of the past and move on.  We were on a high.  Now we face the reality of recruiting for the premiership and getting match fit whilst playing competitive games.  The transfer window has a good bit to run and still 2 more games to go before our league debut at home to Dundee.  Am I worried at this point?  No.  Neither am I complacent. Let's deal with Gus MacPherson and Queens Park on Tuesday.  You can be sure that Gus will have them wound up for this  one.  Unusual to be facing two teams in a row managed by Trophy Winning Ex Managers. 

If Gus beats us 6-0 I will however review my optimism :P

23 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I know everyone rips the piss out of England, but they went for a back three in the summer because it suits what they had at their disposal.

I wonder if we could do the same.

------------------------Samson----------------------

--------------Heaton - Kpekawa - Baird----------

McGinn-------Flynn-----McGinn--------Coulson

-------------------Magennis--------------------

--------------Smith-------------------------------

--------------------------Mark Kee----------------

Problem with that is you get pinned back by better teams (such as Croatia) but it lets us play Flynn, Magennis and Smith in the preferred positions. Coulson will be given licence to bomb on. We would just need a striker worthy of the name and a better RWB.

Best player on the park against Killie was Coulson. Second best was McPherson. I think Cammy should now be considered a first team regular.

Well Ross Stewart has handed request to leave . We seriously need a forward as we wont have anyone on the bench either.
For now I will keep faith that Mark Kee is a good one ready to play and not with a 38 inch waistline
When did that happen ? There is a player in there. I'd like to see Stewart start tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Best player on the park against Killie was Coulson. Second best was McPherson. I think Cammy should now be considered a first team regular.

That's completely fair - I didn't want to over-complicate my selection by putting any and/ors in there :lol:

But yeah, he was great against Killie and he was playing with a lot of confidence. 

30 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well Ross Stewart has handed request to leave . We seriously need a forward as we wont have anyone on the bench either.

For now I will keep faith that Mark Kee is a good one ready to play and not with a 38 inch waistline

Do you know who are favourites for Stewart’s signature? Someone did mention Partick Thistle were interested but not sure if that was just made up with the Doolan rumour? Would be delighted if he did end up at Firhill 

6 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
32 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

When did that happen ? There is a player in there. I'd like to see Stewart start tomorrow.

Happened Thursday. Transfer request submitted.... not a happy boy

Just now, partickman said:

Do you know who are favourites for Stewart’s signature? Someone did mention Partick Thistle were interested but not sure if that was just made up with the Doolan rumour? Would be delighted if he did end up at Firhill 

Yes I mentioned Thistle, was possibly part of a swap deal, I am not clear who though, more than likely Doolan or Erskine

I have expressed doubts about Stubbs' leadership, tactics and general recruitment however the positives for me so far are -

Cammy McPherson - looks like an exciting new player. If we had just signed him I think we would be raving about him.

Coulson, though I would prefer to play him as a wing back and not as a full back.

Kpekawa looked decent against Killie though less so against Sunderland. But could come good.

Kirkpatrick also looked very good against Killie but could be out for 12 weeks so that kind of negates his involvement.

Paul McGinn looks ok to me and a decent squad addition.

I'd personally like to see Stubbs admit his mistakes and try out what I believe to be our strongest 11

Samson

McGinn    Gary Mac      Kpekawa     Eckersley

Flynn              McGinn               Magennis/MacPherson              Coulson

Smith

Mullen

The most concerning thing for me right now is that we haven't made those 4 or 5 signings that Stubbs seemed so confident off after the Killie match. The manager will identify targets - it's up to the club to do the deals. He did say he thought the board might be not too happy with what he wanted to do, and by their lack of activity to back him up it seems that he was right, albeit one or two seem to have fallen through for reasons beyond their control.

The guys from the National League and League 1 in England will not have been high earners, and I am assuming were being brought in with a view to them settling in and playing a part as the season progressed. We must have a decent amount of budget left, and failure to back the manager in getting the players he stil wants - the marquee signings - will only add to my concern.

We still need a couple of quality attacking players, including a goalscorer. We still need an experienced central defender, and we still need a ballwinning central midfielder. With 4 quality additions, as well as the return of Magennis in midfield, we would be a different proposition. Without these, we're looking like we may be in for a long, hard season.

My immediate wish would be for us to get the strongest 11 out now for the next two games, and be as ready and solid as we can be for Dundee.

Samson

McGinn Baird Kpekawa Coulsen

McGinn McPherson

Magennis Smith Flynn

Mullen

Would be my first eleven at the moment, with other new players getting their chance from the bench as and when required, and marquee signings added as a matter of urgency.

May have been posted elsewhere , but worrying all the same !

@gg_rufc 

stmirren Whats your early thoughts on Stubbs? Sounds like he's already started doing to you what he did to #rufc. Totally ripped our squad apart, let a few key players go and replaced them with absolute shite. Has no management skills at all and shows no respect to the fans.

15 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Really? Why would St Mirren fans reaching agreement about the status of the Betfred Cup in the grand scheme of things help us prepare for the season ahead?

I think i was more implying the fact that the post had no sense of panic within it and it was a fair assumption that with these games being so close to teams returning for pre-season, they are starting to feel like our pre-season. If we can't fit in friendlies around these games (Betfred), then i would rather we used these for building fitness, testing formations and tactics in general. Stubbs has inherited a squad and he is adding to it and he needs time to get it right prior to the season kicking off. No other club in our league outside the Old Firm have recruited anyone that would suggest so far, they are ahead of us in terms of building a competitive squad.

St Ricky mentioned about leaving the manager to bring in the signings, i second that.  Signing targets is not as straightforward as it may seem.

30 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I have expressed doubts about Stubbs' leadership, tactics and general recruitment however the positives for me so far are -

Cammy McPherson - looks like an exciting new player. If we had just signed him I think we would be raving about him.

Coulson, though I would prefer to play him as a wing back and not as a full back.

Kpekawa looked decent against Killie though less so against Sunderland. But could come good.

Kirkpatrick also looked very good against Killie but could be out for 12 weeks so that kind of negates his involvement.

Paul McGinn looks ok to me and a decent squad addition.

Totally agree on Cammy McPherson. I would prefer Paul McGinn to be back up RB as his distribution is poor. Splash out on Liam Smith Mr Stubbs.

I think the board have shown under Jack Ross' reign they were quite happy to back the manager in the transfer market - indiscriminately I would say.

Jack Ross' signings over 18 months:

1. Craig Storrie

2. Rory Loy

3. Pal Fjelde

4. Josh Todd

5. Stellious

6. Cammy Smith

7. Stephen McGinn

8. Adam Eckersley

9. Harry Davis

10. Billy O'Brien

11. Ross Stewart (goalkeeper)

12. Jordan Kilpatrick

13. Ross Stewart (striker)

14.  Craig Samson

15. Gavin Reilly

16. Dale Hilson

17. Ian McShane

18. Darryl Duffy

19. Liam Smith

20. Jamie McCart

21. Danny Mullen

22. Gregor Buchanan

23. Ryan Flynn

24.  Mark Hill

25. Myles Hippolyte

26. Massimo Donati

27. Paul McGinn

28. Jim Kellerman

(I've not included Jack handing out contract extensions to Josh Todd, Cammy Smith, Gary Irvine, Gary Mac (x2), Jack Baird (x2), Kyle Magennis or giving youth team players like Nathan Flannagan a first team contract)

Successful Signings: Cammy Smith, Stephen McGinn, Harry Davis, Adam Eckersley, Ryan Flynn, Gavin Reilly,  Craig Samson, Liam Smith

Guys Who Did A Job Without Being Great in the long term: Stellious, Billy The Fish, Rory Loy, Danny Mullen, Ian McShane

Signings Which Didn't Work Out: Craig Storrie ('the one who will save our season' trust me copyright IOBS), Pal Fjelde, Josh Todd, Ross Stewart, Ross Stewart, Dale Hilson, Darryl Duffy, Jamie McCart, Gregor Buchanan, Mark Hill, Myles Hippolyte, Massimo Donati

Signings Which Might Work Out (Maybe):  Jordan Kirkpatrick, Paul McGinn, Jim Kellerman.

My understanding is the money from the sale of Kyle McAllister, Stevie Mallan and Lewis Morgan had all been spent on backing Jack Ross in the transfer market in his first 3 transfer windows, and my opinion is that Jack Ross's reputation in transfer windows for us rest entirely on how good Stephen McGinn, Cammy Smith and Harry Davis have been for us.

I doubt very much that having reached the premier league and doubled season ticket sales that Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott have lost any enthusiasm for helping the manager sign players.

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think the board have shown under Jack Ross' reign they were quite happy to back the manager in the transfer market - indiscriminately I would say.

1. Craig Storrie

2. Rory Loy

3. Pal Fjelde

4. Josh Todd

5. Stellious

6. Cammy Smith

7. Stephen McGinn

8. Adam Eckersley

9. Harry Davis

10. Billy O'Brien

12. Jordan Kilpatrick

14.  Craig Samson

15. Gavin Reilly

16. Dale Hilson

17. Ian McShane

18. Darryl Duffy

19. Liam Smith

20. Jamie McCart

21. Danny Mullen

22. Gregor Buchanan

23. Ryan Flynn

24.  Mark Hill

25. Myles Hippolyte

26. Massimo Donati

27. Paul McGinn

28. Jim Kellerman

(I've not included Jack handing out contract extensions to Josh Todd, Cammy Smith, Gary Irvine, Gary Mac (x2), Jack Baird (x2), Kyle Magennis or giving youth team players like Nathan Flannagan a first team contract)

Successful Signings: Cammy Smith, Stephen McGinn, Harry Davis, Adam Eckersley, Ryan Flynn, Gavin Reilly,  Craig Samson, Liam Smith

Guys Who Did A Job Without Being Great in the long term: Stellious, Billy The Fish, Rory Loy, Danny Mullen, Ian McShane

Signings Which Didn't Work Out: Craig Storrie ('the one who will save our season' trust me copyright IOBS), Pal Fjelde, Josh Todd, Ross Stewart, Ross Stewart, Dale Hilson, Darryl Duffy, Jamie McCart, Gregor Buchanan, Mark Hill, Myles Hippolyte, Massimo Donati

Signings Which Might Work Out (Maybe):  Jordan Kirkpatrick, Paul McGinn, Jim Kellerman.

My understanding is the money from the sale of Kyle McAllister, Stevie Mallan and Lewis Morgan had all been spent on backing Jack Ross in the transfer market in his first 3 transfer windows, and my opinion is that Jack Ross's reputation in transfer windows for us rest entirely on how good Stephen McGinn, Cammy Smith and Harry Davis have been for us.

I doubt very much that having reached the premier league and doubled season ticket sales that Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott have lost any enthusiasm for helping the manager sign players.

I think your lists and the previous one highlights why we have no dosh and can't really commit to any decent signings since an entire wage has been spent on just one transfer fee

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

My understanding is the money from the sale of Kyle McAllister, Stevie Mallan and Lewis Morgan had all been spent on backing Jack Ross in the transfer market in his first 3 transfer windows,

I know that is not true.

GLS is on record as saying , in November 2016 , that we are a Premiership club , and finances would be made available to get us back there. Now that we're back , it would seem folly to not try and stay there !

Edited by billyg

35 minutes ago, billyg said:

May have been posted elsewhere , but worrying all the same !

@gg_rufc 

stmirren Whats your early thoughts on Stubbs? Sounds like he's already started doing to you what he did to #rufc. Totally ripped our squad apart, let a few key players go and replaced them with absolute shite. Has no management skills at all and shows no respect to the fans.

Why did our board not take notice !. It was obvious to anyone who did a bit of digging !

9 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

1. Craig Storrie

2. Rory Loy

3. Pal Fjelde

4. Josh Todd

5. Stellious

6. Cammy Smith

7. Stephen McGinn

8. Adam Eckersley

9. Harry Davis

10. Billy O'Brien

12. Jordan Kilpatrick

14.  Craig Samson

15. Gavin Reilly

16. Dale Hilson

17. Ian McShane

18. Darryl Duffy

19. Liam Smith

20. Jamie McCart

21. Danny Mullen

22. Gregor Buchanan

23. Ryan Flynn

24.  Mark Hill

25. Myles Hippolyte

26. Massimo Donati

27. Paul McGinn

28. Jim Kellerman

Did Jim McIntyre not get canned on this forum for too many players at Ross County ??.  

Utterly fantastic job in his first season at RC, went onto win League Cup. Managed successfully for 3 season in Premiership. Disgracefully sacked in his fourth and club then relegated.

Bet we wish we could rerun the interviews again !