At this point, what do we still need?

In an interview just before the Killie game Stubbs was asked about how his squad was shaping up. My concern at the time was that he said that he was pleased with his new signings but made no mention of the guys that he already had. Maybe an oversight but it gave him a chance to praise the likes of McGinn, Smith etc and encourage integration but it came across that he was only interested in the players that he brought in. A few games later my concern now includes that he is pleased with his new signings. If he thinks all these guys are capable of playing in the Premiership then on the evidence so far he is deluded.

Just now, Sonny said:

In an interview just before the Killie game Stubbs was asked about how his squad was shaping up. My concern at the time was that he said that he was pleased with his new signings but made no mention of the guys that he already had. Maybe an oversight but it gave him a chance to praise the likes of McGinn, Smith etc and encourage integration but it came across that he was only interested in the players that he brought in. A few games later my concern now includes that he is pleased with his new signings. If he thinks all these guys are capable of playing in the Premiership then on the evidence so far he is deluded.

Spot on. Praising the new guys and neglecting to do the same for the guys who are already at the club will cause division. Happens in every organisation .

Trying to keep this as neutral as possible and not letting emotion cloud judgement but what does everyone believe we still need at this point in order to go into the new season with a bit more confidence than we currently have? 
If Stubbs swallows down his pride and accepts he was being hasty in his appraisal and that Gary McKenzie (once fit again) and Adam Eckersley have roles to play in this side, Magennis comes back soon and he gets Cammy Smith back playing behind the front man where he belongs rather than out wide where he's completely wasted and clearly not happy, I reckon we could get away with just bringing in a first choice centre forward, winger and another right back and the damage to the squad might not be as catastrophic as it seems just now. 

McKenzie and Eckersley are both the wrong side of 30 and neither are the fastest but both being involved would certainly improve the squad in its current state by being involved again in my opinion. 

11 new players and a manager. [emoji13]

10 hours ago, Hambud said:

I'm trying to not get my knickers drenched however seeing as you have asked what the similarities are here are the ones I see:

For me Jeff King really reminds me of Calum Ball.

Signing two guys of V9 fame reminds me of signing two wee guys from the Man City youth team. In that I know nothing about them but because they are the product of a big EPL brand then we should be dead excited about them.

We have signed a good left back.

Oh and I guess we are all pinning our hopes on a McGinn to drag us through....we will probably sell McGennis in January.

Oh and our current manager has managed Hibs and has Celtic connections just like TC.

Shit I've just depressed myself.

Hopefully none of these worries come to fruition but these are the similarities I see.

So, other than players you haven't heard of, what's the similarities?

Had you heard of Andy Dorman before we signed him? Had you heard of Goncalves? Newton & Dummett?

If Neil Lennon took over at our club, would the Hibs and Celtic connections worry you?

This wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular, just the general negativity based on a comparison which isn't particularly valid.

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I thought the interviewer was referring to the new signings, as we all know the guys who are already here. Seemed to sensible way to take the question to me, but obviously you've taken it differently so maybe not.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

I thought the interviewer was referring to the new signings, as we all know the guys who are already here. Seemed to sensible way to take the question to me, but obviously you've taken it differently so maybe not.

Well he was asked how the squad was shaping up not how the new signings were shaping up. At the time it struck me that he had made an error of judgement to only mention his signings.

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Well he was asked how the squad was shaping up not how the new signings were shaping up. At the time it struck me that he had made an error of judgement to only mention his signings.

Like I said, we disagree on that. Would seem strange for me if he spoke about the players we knew all about. I wanted to know how the new boys were shaping up as I know the capabilities of those who were here last season. Not to worry - we all at I differently.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Just move the game to the evening and he won't be able to play. 

He's only got a curfew at the weekends.

Sheriff John Rafferty imposed a community payback order with 12 months supervision, 200 hours of unpaid work and £200 compensation to McGowan’s victim.

He also placed McGowan on an electronic tag requiring him to be at his home address between 7pm and 7am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for the next two months.

The sheriff said that was so McGowan could continue to play midweek matches and carry out coaching duties in Dundee’s youth setup during the week.

He said: “Unlike many other people who appar in these courts you are someone who has a particular skill and talent – an advantage in life.

Quite lenient IMO.

Anyway, apparently Dundee were shocking yesterday. Their thread on P&B has striking similarities to many of the current threads on here. 

38 minutes ago, Sonny said:

In his post-match interview after the Spartans debacle, Stubbs acknowledged that it was the introduction of McGinn that changed the game. It was blatantly obvious to anyone in attendance, but in fairness to AS, he did make a point of highlighting it.

I've been pretty critical and downbeat in respect of Stubbs and how things are shaping up, but I do think there is a danger that we are starting to look for things to call him out on (myself included). Whilst that is reasonable to a degree, it probably isn't very helpful at this stage.

The bottom line is that he is in the hot seat, and we need to hope that he has a coherent plan lift things and set us up for a decent shot at the coming campaign. I think I'll be laying off the criticism for a few days, now, and will just await what transpires with interest.

Edited by Drew

12 hours ago, Mykey said:

If I had a backbone would I have accepted Craig, Murray and rae and given them more time, I'll bet you Gary Teale will be telling anyone who'll listen that if Craig was sacked earlier we'd never have been relegated. I know it's early, and of course he can't be binned yet. But there is no doubt that this is the same as the Craig season, the killie game the same as the first game against motherwell that year, played well and drew, but it was all downhill from there, unheard of non league English players, poor tactics, good players played out of position - any of this ringing a bell?

I think if a bell got rung you would run for cover

Unbelievable --- Support a bigot brother , you're to jelly for a provincial club

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

In his post-match interview after the Spartans debacle, Stubbs acknowledged that it was the introduction of McGinn that changed the game. It was blatantly obvious to anyone in attendance, but in fairness to AS, he did make a point of highlighting it.

I've been pretty critical and downbeat in respect of Stubbs and how things are shaping up, but I do think there is a danger that we are starting to look for things to call him out on (myself included). Whilst that is reasonable to a degree, it probably isn't very helpful at this stage.

The bottom line is that he is in the hot seat, and we need to hope that he has a coherent plan lift things and set us up for a decent shot at the coming campaign. I think I'll be laying off the criticism for a few days, now, and will just await what transpires with interest.

I posted my first reservation on his comments at the time and before the debacle of Spartans and Sunderland. At the time I thought it was the wrong thing for him to say. I take no joy out of the situation but am beginning to have deja vu here. I'll be at Hampden on Tuesday and see if things are improving which I hope they are.

Just now, Sonny said:

I posted my first reservation on his comments at the time and before the debacle of Spartans and Sunderland. At the time I thought it was the wrong thing for him to say. I take no joy out of the situation but am beginning to have deja vu here. I'll be at Hampden on Tuesday and see if things are improving which I hope they are.

I wasn't specifically aiming my post at you, mate (albeit I quoted you). I won't try to pretend that I'm not concerned. I am, and I'm surprised if anyone isn't, to be honest.

Everything is pretty demoralising just now. I suppose my point is that finding more things to stack on top might not be achieving a great deal. It is down to Stubbs to sort this out. Like you, I hope things improve,and fair play to you for going along tomorrow night.

Demoralising? A bit harsh. The season is 2 weeks away and the squad is only half built. JR would have finished his business by now, but Alan Stubbs is going about it differently. People need to calm down. If we go into the Dundee and Sevco games without adding significantly to the squad, then the doubts will increase, but ffs let’s wait and see

9 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Nothing wrong with a Saints fan being passionate. That’s how club fans should be.

You’re too much of a happy clapper. Stick to supporting Scotland. emoji12.png

Comparing this to Craig in July- oh well I will last longer than you incontinent types

Its hardly being a happy clapper supporting my team, and have a realistic viewpoint rather than a totally negative one

A fit and hungry team that are all pulling and fighting for each other. We need to realise that it’s going to be a tough transition to the top flight. We are not club the size of Hibs as far as fan base and budget and I think finishing one place above the playoffs would be a success, even with Livvy in the league.
Stubbs as pulled apart the team that we were all proud of, but most agreed we needed big changes for the step up.
Coulson looks fantastic going forward, so a solid left back to let him play further up, where he has played in the past would be good. I’ve always been a fan of Eckersley, but injuries have been an issue and Stubbs obviously doesn’t fancy him.
Magennis returning will be massive. He can play in the middle with McGinn or wide right bombing down the wing. I think Flynn has the vision and experience to create chances and looked excellent against Killie.
I still think we need a decent centre half, in the mould of McKenzie without the injuries. Heaton sounds like a good prospect and needs time to settle, but do we have that time? Kpekawa looks demanding in the air and likes a tackle, but lacks experience and fitness. Baird should be cover. He has a great attitude, but really struggles with the ball at his feet. We need experience in the centre of our defence.
We desperately need a decent goal scorer, but they are not easy to find. I think we will create chances, but need a poacher with an eye for goal. Mullen works his backside off and wins free kicks, but isn’t prolific in front of goal. We also lack pace upfront. Cammy Smith needs to play the number 10 role, not out wide.
If we can get Mikey Johnston that would be excellent. We also need the McGinn move to happen soon, as it will make a big difference to our budget and possible signings, although had that potential money been earmarked for the stadium.
Fitness still looks an issue in the squad, but that should be easily fixed. We also need the support to back the ‘new’ team and be as patient as we can be. The backing of our support was massive last season. The more we get on the players back the poorer they will perform.

4 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

Demoralising? A bit harsh. The season is 2 weeks away and the squad is only half built. JR would have finished his business by now, but Alan Stubbs is going about it differently. People need to calm down. If we go into the Dundee and Sevco games without adding significantly to the squad, then the doubts will increase, but ffs let’s wait and see

I don't think it is harsh to say that things are a bit demoralising just now. I feel deflated, and get the impression that plenty of others do too.

You talk about waiting to see how things develop which is the very point I've been making this morning. I'm trying to be balanced, here.

6 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

A fit and hungry team that are all pulling and fighting for each other. We need to realise that it’s going to be a tough transition to the top flight. We are not club the size of Hibs as far as fan base and budget and I think finishing one place above the playoffs would be a success, even with Livvy in the league.
Stubbs as pulled apart the team that we were all proud of, but most agreed we needed big changes for the step up.
Coulson looks fantastic going forward, so a solid left back to let him play further up, where he has played in the past would be good. I’ve always been a fan of Eckersley, but injuries have been an issue and Stubbs obviously doesn’t fancy him.
Magennis returning will be massive. He can play in the middle with McGinn or wide right bombing down the wing. I think Flynn has the vision and experience to create chances and looked excellent against Killie.
I still think we need a decent centre half, in the mould of McKenzie without the injuries. Heaton sounds like a good prospect and needs time to settle, but do we have that time? Kpekawa looks demanding in the air and likes a tackle, but lacks experience and fitness. Baird should be cover. He has a great attitude, but really struggles with the ball at his feet. We need experience in the centre of our defence.
We desperately need a decent goal scorer, but they are not easy to find. I think we will create chances, but need a poacher with an eye for goal. Mullen works his backside off and wins free kicks, but isn’t prolific in front of goal. We also lack pace upfront. Cammy Smith needs to play the number 10 role, not out wide.
If we can get Mikey Johnston that would be excellent. We also need the McGinn move to happen soon, as it will make a big difference to our budget and possible signings, although had that potential money been earmarked for the stadium.
Fitness still looks an issue in the squad, but that should be easily fixed. We also need the support to back the ‘new’ team and be as patient as we can be. The backing of our support was massive last season. The more we get on the players back the poorer they will perform.

Very sensible Balmullo

Edited by St.Ricky

I know everyone rips the piss out of England, but they went for a back three in the summer because it suits what they had at their disposal.

I wonder if we could do the same.

------------------------Samson----------------------

--------------Heaton - Kpekawa - Baird----------

McGinn-------Flynn-----McGinn--------Coulson

-------------------Magennis--------------------

--------------Smith-------------------------------

--------------------------Mark Kee----------------

Problem with that is you get pinned back by better teams (such as Croatia) but it lets us play Flynn, Magennis and Smith in the preferred positions. Coulson will be given licence to bomb on. We would just need a striker worthy of the name and a better RWB.

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I know everyone rips the piss out of England, but they went for a back three in the summer because it suits what they had at their disposal.

I wonder if we could do the same.

------------------------Samson----------------------

--------------Heaton - Kpekawa - Baird----------

McGinn-------Flynn-----McGinn--------Coulson

-------------------Magennis--------------------

--------------Smith-------------------------------

--------------------------Mark Kee----------------

Problem with that is you get pinned back by better teams (such as Croatia) but it lets us play Flynn, Magennis and Smith in the preferred positions. Coulson will be given licence to bomb on. We would just need a striker worthy of the name and a better RWB.

Well Ross Stewart has handed request to leave . We seriously need a forward as we wont have anyone on the bench either.

For now I will keep faith that Mark Kee is a good one ready to play and not with a 38 inch waistline