Saint Mirren v Dundee 4th August 2018

St.Ricky

Fantastic way to start the season. Half way through the second half I would have happily taken a draw but to have competed against and ultimately beaten Dundee with a team that is still work in progress was brilliant. 

Mullen and Smith both gave everything and I’m delighted they’re playing for us rather than against us. Need to mention big Ross Stewart, he’s a big improvement on the player he was before going out on loan. Hope the Ross County transfer isn’t the “done deal” some people are talking about. 

A massive improvement overall but still outstanding issues. Kpekawa needs to improve very quickly , as I said on previous thread , not fit enough and not fast enough ( one linked to the other ) would love to see Coulson attack a bit more on the flank, too often passed back inside and despite the win and Danny’s two goals we still need a striker (s)
Teams like Dundee are who we need to be taking points from , job done today . Onward & upward [emoji106]

7 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

We did win 2-1... More nonsense, drivel, rubbish, crap, piffle and bollocks (I know you enjoyed my last set of synonyms:D) from  Bud the Baker. 

As a wise man once said "If you don't have anything intelligent to say best to say nothing".........:P

Well then youd best say nothing - second best which you achieved is nothing meaningful! :1eye

Repay the £75k Stubbsy!

8 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Your the only one talking utter nonsense bud

……….and your argument is, erm, non-existant! :1eye

Repay the £75k Stubbsy!

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I understand that the club eventually opened the gates in order to let people in who were in long queues outside. Might account for the figure of 5730 rather than a very healthy 6k+.

Aye, so it did.

Maybe there were 500 street urchins who sneaked in when the doors were opened.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Delighted with that today. Perfect start. 

Out for a few well earned jars. 

@Shull .... Pick me up at top of new street about half 11. :lol:

Would somebody help him to his feet if passing ?

I dinnae work on a Saturday night,

He's one of our own. :)

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Arithmetic. Two goals to one. Saint Mirren Win. Attendance 2400 plus 2400 plus 1500 + 500 = 5730. Obviously!  Great day . Flag unfurling and opening day win.

Love the figures here. 

2400+ in the Main Stand that holds 2200...

I take it 1500 was the away end that was announced as 1200 ish...

And the West Stand had way more than 100 empty seats that you claim. 

Why do some people get such a hard-on about attendance figures. 

Anyway, great performance and result, no failures in the stripes at all. You could see it was a big jump in opposition from last season but they really did up their level of performance.

Big Ross Stewart was fantastic considering he’s making the move north next week.

Cammy Smith and Danny mullen, they don’t half put some shift in.

Great start to the season. 

Edited by davidg

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

Love the figures here. 

Are you new...................Ricky is well known for talking mince................and not only about attendances. :wink:

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

Love the figures here. 

In addition to this, the conspiracy theorists overlook the 150 seats that got taken out of the Main Stand to accommodate the disabled platform, so it barely holds 2000 these days.

I thought we started brightly but their goal knocked the stuffing out of us a bit and it took us 10-15 mins to work our way back into it and finished the 1st half well.

Not sure how we didn’t go behind at the start of the second as they looked like they’d score every time they came up the park with young Coulson being culpable on at least two occasions.

However, football isn’t about possession and creating chances. You need to take them. They didn’t and we did. On another week we may have lost that game but the guys battled away and got a foothold in the game to play the better football in the last 20 mins with Coulson, in particular, outstanding.

That is a very important 3 points and if we get the right quality in over the next few weeks it may well give us the platform we need to establish ourselves in the top league.

Well done to Stubbs and his team in particular. They were all active on the sideline, barking encouragement and instructions to the team and they responded.

ETA the crowd were magnificent as well. That actually felt better than the big games at the end of last season.

34 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Are you new...................Ricky is well known for talking mince................and not only about attendances. :wink:

Mince and tatties if you don't mind F Man

Pity "business" prevented you from attending.  Never mind. The next home game is via Livingston on 25th so you have time to plan things. See you there! 

I’d said to my daughter in the first half that I thought the Dundee keeper looked ‘dodgy’, imagine my smugness and credibility with said 14 year old when he makes a complete arse of himself to gift us all 3 points, very important that we beat teams like Dundee (particularly at home)!!

I’d need to see it again but at the time Cole was a lot closer to the ball and the Dundee forward started a good couple of yards behind him. Given the pace of the Dundee forward and the distance Samson would have to have covered, it’s Kpekawa for me.

There’s clearly a section of the St Mirren fan base who are absolutely choking for Samson to fail.

It’s a really bizarre grudge some people have against him.

The fact that he was a big part of us winning our only major title in the last 30 years is seemingly irrelevant to them.

Saves a penalty and makes other crucial saves in a 2-1 win today? Still can’t give him credit. They actually seek to blame him for the penalty being given, despite the defender clearly being at fault.

Strangely Salty.

Thankfully the majority of St Mirren fans appreciate the ginger ninja for what he is; A bonafide club legend who is the best goalkeeper this football club has seen in a generation.

I hope he retires here and gets the testimonial he deserves.

Just now, Ronnie said:
32 minutes ago, shull said:

I've posted all highlights with all 3 goals plus penalty over on Facebook but won't allow me to upload on to here as file is too big.

Could make 4 separate posts.