Saint Mirren v Dundee 4th August 2018

St.Ricky

From where  I was sitting it looked a bit of a near FU but after seeing this clip what a composed piece of play by Flynn and a great goal!

Yeah he does well.

The natural instinct for a player in that position is to lash at it and try score. Had he done that it would have likely been blocked.

Instead he took a touch, composed himself, got his head up and picked out the correct pass.

And cause of that we won; well done Ryan!

Game of 2 keepers. Our is a stallion and their was a donkey lost from Blackpool beach  :rolleyes:

Got to the ground at 2-45 and ended up in a queue 60 yards long and missed the flag and the K/O  :(

Anybody else get f**k due to the new card reader which seem to take everybody by surprise ?

Why no warning by the club and no thank to the ref for starting the game 4 mins early  :mellow:

With our game starting and finishing early at least we were top of the league for around 4 mins   :lol:

Fantastic day. Great result and atmosphere and a really enjoyable game. However, let's not get carried away. Dundee tore us apart at times and with better finishing would have pumped us. Thank god football isn't as simple as that. Stubbs clearly under no illusions form post match interview. We rode our luck today and got away with a lot of calls by referee... Baird for example handled ball twice. Couldn't fault the attitude of players but our manager surely could see the glaring problem in that second half where his midfield diamond required immediate surgery and an extra man as wave after wave of Dundee punts cut through it and put defence under pressure. Better teams will exploit this. Also l thought physically many players were struggling against a streetwise opposition. Mcginn, magennis, smith an willock looked at home in this league but others were easily pushed off ball. Nevertheless a great start and now looking forward to rest of season with lots of hope that as we develop we can avoid a relegation battle.

41 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Game of 2 keepers. Our is a stallion and their was a donkey lost from Blackpool beach  :rolleyes:

Got to the ground at 2-45 and ended up in a queue 60 yards long and missed the flag and the K/O  :(

Anybody else get f**k due to the new card reader which seem to take everybody by surprise ?

Why no warning by the club and no thank to the ref for starting the game 4 mins early  :mellow:

With our game starting and finishing early at least we were top of the league for around 4 mins   :lol:

What new card reader?

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

There’s clearly a section of the St Mirren fan base who are absolutely choking for Samson to fail.

It’s a really bizarre grudge some people have against him.

The fact that he was a big part of us winning our only major title in the last 30 years is seemingly irrelevant to them.

Saves a penalty and makes other crucial saves in a 2-1 win today? Still can’t give him credit. They actually seek to blame him for the penalty being given, despite the defender clearly being at fault.

Strangely Salty.

Thankfully the majority of St Mirren fans appreciate the ginger ninja for what he is; A bonafide club legend who is the best goalkeeper this football club has seen in a generation.

I hope he retires here and gets the testimonial he deserves.

I'm surprised at the people pointing the finger at Samson as well. From where I was sitting it looked a clear mistake from Kpekewa. I don't think he realised the striker was there. Samson did what he had to do, and with the rule change that meant he wouldn't be sent off, he was absolutely right to have a go at it. I thought Samson was brilliant today. All last season we saw "what you could have had" in the championship, and Samson was better than all of them, and that trend continued today. I'll also be surprised if that haddy in goals for Dundee today, whose been called up to Scotland squads, isn't being paid a good wedge more than Samson as well.

We've got problem areas in the squad, but goalkeeper is not one of them.

17 minutes ago, norman said:

I'm surprised at the people pointing the finger at Samson as well. From where I was sitting it looked a clear mistake from Kpekewa. I don't think he realised the striker was there. Samson did what he had to do, and with the rule change that meant he wouldn't be sent off, he was absolutely right to have a go at it. I thought Samson was brilliant today. All last season we saw "what you could have had" in the championship, and Samson was better than all of them, and that trend continued today. I'll also be surprised if that haddy in goals for Dundee today, whose been called up to Scotland squads, isn't being paid a good wedge more than Samson as well.

We've got problem areas in the squad, but goalkeeper is not one of them.

Apparently you can be sent off.

If the referee decides that the 'keeper makes no attempt to play the ball then he's off.

I thought that both Kpekewa and Samson could be deemed as liable for the penalty. Happily it didn't affect the end result.

I thought that both Baird and McGinn (P), were both pretty solid today.

Coulson, has a tendency to drift into the middle. Whether that's due to instinct or to losing concentration, it needs to be sorted. After the match , Stubbs commented regarding more talking on the pitch. I saw Brian Rice trying to communicate with Coulson, but his fellow players need to keep reminding him and others what to do and to hand out encouragement. He also did do a lot of solid defending and some great attacking too.

I have no idea what Kpekewa is going to do when the ball heads towards him, so every successful clearance or pass is a welcome surprise.

Edited by FTOF

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Apparently you can be sent off.

If the referee decides that the 'keeper makes no attempt to play the ball then he's off.

Aye, but he was always making an attempt to play the ball, that was the preferred outcome. It takes away one of the consequences of trying and failing to play the ball though, which means they don't need to think twice about it. You can obviously still be red carded if you rugby tackle the player as he's about to tap it into an empty net or something.

I’ve seen a few posts saying that Dee overran us at and I’m struggling to grasp this. They had good spells but on the flip side There were times when we overran them , the stats show we had more possession, more chances and more corners . Of course we rode our luck at times with a couple of dodgy handballs but so did Dee. I thought we just about ( and by a very small margin) deserved our win.

15 minutes ago, renfrew said:
1 hour ago, E=Mc2 said:
What new card reader?

Card reader at the 1st turnstile on the west stand was totally different to what used to be there.

Same as previous seasons at my turnstile in the main stand.

Always best to experiment with the proletariat.

Keeps them on their toes. 

The stats that say we has more possession etc...

We were lucky to get anything from that game, they overran us in midfield until Flynn was brought on.

Coulson had a howler, highlighting that we need cover at full back.

Delighted for Mullen but again we need cover.

The Dundee fans on PnB are raging, :lol:

I’ve seen a few posts saying that Dee overran us at and I’m struggling to grasp this. They had good spells but on the flip side There were times when we overran them , the stats show we had more possession, more chances and more corners . Of course we rode our luck at times with a couple of dodgy handballs but so did Dee. I thought we just about ( and by a very small margin) deserved our win.

I've saw the Baird hand ball/balls mentioned more than once none of these were even close to being deliberate imo (also obviously the referee had the same opinion) so don't think we were lucky there.

I don't agree either that we "got away with one yesterday" we had plenty good chances throughout that game and probably should have scored more goals.

I would take performance's like yesterday over the borefest we used to suffer under McPherson back in the day Stubbs called it in the post match interview Attack,Defend, Attack,Defend from both teams it was like a cup tie at times this it what Football should be like.

Watched the highlights there and we were well worth the win.

Even in dundee's spell after the break none of their chances were as good as they looked at the time. 

Kpekawa shouldn't have started and stopped his run at the penalty but the balls inside our box before the boy even gets a touch on it.

Samson should have went for it as soon as it was beyond the defence but he started to come far too late. Luckily he saved it. 

Great game , great atmosphere was going to be a mistake from ether team to get the winner. Dundee had us under pressure for 15/20 min spell in the second half so credit to Saints for sticking to the task finishing the much stronger team. Mullen was fantastic today his first goal was a old fashioned centre forwards goal very well taken from a slick move down the right. Big Ross busted a gut today for the cause will be sorry to see the big chap go if true.  Samson what a guy Stubbs gave him a big hug at the end of the game. Credit to every single player a job very well done.  Not getting carried away but can clearly see Stubbs is building a good team. The **** are not special we can cause them problems. 

The stats that say we has more possession etc...
We were lucky to get anything from that game, they overran us in midfield until Flynn was brought on.
 Coulson had a howler, highlighting that we need cover at full back.
Delighted for Mullen but again we need cover.
The Dundee fans on PnB are raging, :lol:

We sit in M6 so I only really got to see Coulson up close in an attacking sense (in the second half), on that basis I was quite impressed, he is quick and tricky and is good at throw ins.

I thought all the players (Mullen especially) worked their socks off too which was quite pleasing.

I thought it was was a pretty even game that ebbed and flowed throughout. Both teams had spells of dominance, and either could have won it without there being too much complaint.

Over-run at times? I'm struggling to see that, to be honest.

Enjoyed the game, ok performance, still a lot of work to be done. 

I was lucky that at my end of the family stand the queue to get in was minimal but I admit I was,and still am, confused by the new scanner, took a bit of time to work out what to do. 

A heads up from the club before hand would have been helpful. Given that they emailed me matchday info on Friday, including a short instruction would have been useful. Or alternatively switching to the new scanner for the cup games to give them a try at a lower attended game. 

Edited by DumboBud

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I thought it was was a pretty even game that ebbed and flowed throughout. Both teams had spells of dominance, and either could have won it without there being too much complaint.

Over-run at times? I'm struggling to see that, to be honest.

Drew.... Your glasses are more rose tinted than mine it seems. 

We won but Dundee had a very good spell in the early part of the second half where they dominated. 

Credit to them but credit to us that we held out and ran out winners from a great game of football. 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Drew.... Your glasses are more rose tinted than mine it seems. 

We won but Dundee had a very good spell in the early part of the second half where they dominated. 

Credit to them but credit to us that we held out and ran out winners from a great game of football. 

Rose tinted? It is how I seen it.

We created problems for ourselves with a spell at the start of the second half when we didn't press or close them down enough. They were dominant during that spell, as we were from about 65 minutes in.

I've already said that I thought it was an even game across the piece.

There’s a couple of things I don’t really get. One is that somehow Dundee over-ran us and we were somehow lucky to win that game, and secondly that Nat King is some sort of dreadful bombscare, an accident waiting to happen.

The way I saw it, Dundee had a great spell for fifteen mins or so at the start of the second half, but over the piece, both teams had spells where they were on top. In regard to Kpewkwakawa.... he clearly isn’t Willie Miller or Alex McLeish, but I’m really not shitting myself any time the ball goes near him. For every mistake he made yesterday, there were at least two good headers clear, or just hoofing it away from danger (fine by me)... plus, he tried some good balls forward, especially trying to play balls out wide to his right. The Baird / Nat King combination must have played all of five or six games together and certainly, a keeper and central defensive partnership need more time than that on the training ground to get it right between them.

Give the big guy a chance I say. I think ‘bombscare’ is dreadfully harsh after only one league game. 

Edited by pozbaird

42 minutes ago, DumboBud said:

Enjoyed the game, ok performance, still a lot of work to be done. 

I was lucky that at my end of the family stand the queue to get in was minimal but I admit I was,and still am, confused by the new scanner, took a bit of time to work out what to do. 

A heads up from the club before hand would have been helpful. Given that they emailed me matchday info on Friday, including a short instruction would have been useful. Or alternatively switching to the new scanner for the cup games to give them a try at a lower attended game. 

A head up from the club about the scanner certainly would have got fans in quicker. By the time the next home game comes round I will have forgotten how it works :lol:

9 hours ago, E=Mc2 said:

Same as previous seasons at my turnstile in the main stand.

Always best to experiment with the proletariat.

Keeps them on their toes. 

They were new at the north stand as well so I expect the main stand will be next to get them. Enjoy trying to get in :P