Contempt for buddies fans or the arrogance of the man STUBBS!

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

fans want results now.

It isn't really about results for me at the moment but about good performances and signs that we have recruited wisely. QP last night also fielded several new players. They are part-time and amateurs yet they passed better, ran off the ball more and were far quicker is setting up moves. Our back 3 killed the game constantly with sideways passing then a long diagonal straight out the park. The midfield looked like they were playing a game of statues. The build ups were slow and cumbersome. The part timers of QP showed more basic skills on the night and far better tactics and movement. That is what is concerning me, not results.

As I have said many a time on this forum Jack has been criticised for not getting results when he took over but anyone who attended games at that time could see a big improvement in performances and formation once he ditched the guys who weren't performing and brought in young guys who played a lot better. He also pushed on after his first transfer window integrating a complete new squad again showing good displays although it did take time for those performances to show results. That gave me hope and I believed we would come good. At the moment however I am am witnessing poor basic skills and little football intelligence.

I really want any manager of Saints to succeed, however, its the willingness here to get shot of Miles and Gavin and then look to Ross Stewart , with a transfer request in,to come on a save us?

That's poor planning.

Of course its early days, but first impressions and all that

Thankfully Dundee look in freefall so it should be a cracker

Stubbs is clearly a different type from Ross. As Ross was from Rae, and Rae was from Murray, and....

You get the point.

It seems a bit excessive to accuse him of holding the supporters in contempt. I imagine he is floundering a bit just now, and is under a fair bit of pressure. I'm not sure how happy I would be if he was patronising us by patting our heads and telling us that everything is tickity boo.

There is little point now in comparing Stubbs to Jack Ross. Jack is now history (it feels like ancient history). Things are looking a bit bleak just now, but they won't seem any better if we keep ruminating over what Jack did/would have done.

State of the OP.

while things aren’t going well right this moment, can we settle down a tad. If it’s the end of August, we are being pumped royally and have the same squad then maybe then it’s time to panic.

prospective signings may be looking at some of this shite patter and think “why would I bother?” 

15 minutes ago, Sonny said:

It isn't really about results for me at the moment but about good performances and signs that we have recruited wisely. QP last night also fielded several new players. They are part-time and amateurs yet they passed better, ran off the ball more and were far quicker is setting up moves. Our back 3 killed the game constantly with sideways passing then a long diagonal straight out the park. The midfield looked like they were playing a game of statues. The build ups were slow and cumbersome. The part timers of QP showed more basic skills on the night and far better tactics and movement. That is what is concerning me, not results.

As I have said many a time on this forum Jack has been criticised for not getting results when he took over but anyone who attended games at that time could see a big improvement in performances and formation once he ditched the guys who weren't performing and brought in young guys who played a lot better. He also pushed on after his first transfer window integrating a complete new squad again showing good displays although it did take time for those performances to show results. That gave me hope and I believed we would come good. At the moment however I am am witnessing poor basic skills and little football intelligence.

Jack is a special manager - no manager we got in was going to come close to him in terms of his charisma, rapport with the fans, and managerial skills. Most managers will take time to get things done, will struggle at times - at least give this one time to have his team fit and firing before writing him off because they aren't after 3 or 4 games.

Just now, Soctty said:

Jack is a special manager - no manager we got in was going to come close to him in terms of his charisma, rapport with the fans, and managerial skills. Most managers will take time to get things done, will struggle at times - at least give this one time to have his team fit and firing before writing him off because they aren't after 3 or 4 games.

I haven't written Stubbs off, yet. I am shocked that two part-time teams with new players and little training can out perform us in basic skills and football tactics.

I cannot believe how many of our fans are crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure and at the same time berating the manager and players for not stepping up.

The season hasnt started properly yet either.

It was the same last season.

And the season before.

And the 17 previous seasons to that.

Can these fragile souls not just find it within themselves to develop the slightest bit of backbone or are they just incapable of behaving like whiny, needy schoolchildren?

I will say it again. Watching grown men behave like OF fans is embarassing.

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I haven't written Stubbs off, yet. I am shocked that two part-time teams with new players and little training can out perform us in basic skills and football tactics.

Why?

Why are you shocked?

We have never in my lifetime found playing these teams to be easy.

Also the gap between the top and bottom clubs is usually wafer thin at this stage of the season.

Playing Saints is a Cup final for these smaller teams and it only takes a bit of mental rustiness for us to be in trouble.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Stubbs is clearly a different type from Ross. As Ross was from Rae, and Rae was from Murray, and....

You get the point.

It seems a bit excessive to accuse him of holding the supporters in contempt. I imagine he is floundering a bit just now, and is under a fair bit of pressure. I'm not sure how happy I would be if he was patronising us by patting our heads and telling us that everything is tickity boo.

There is little point now in comparing Stubbs to Jack Ross. Jack is now history (it feels like ancient history). Things are looking a bit bleak just now, but they won't seem any better if we keep ruminating over what Jack did/would have done.

We had a big rebuilding job even if Jack had stayed. Jack made a few signings, let some guys go and left. We then couldn't really do any signing business until Alan was appointed. Alan hasn't had much time to rebuild and seems to be unable to land the guys he wants. I assume he had some idea of who he wanted pretty much from day 1 or he wouldn't have been so quick to let players go. Unfortunately, this set of circumstances means we have missed out on guys like Sammon, Templeton etc who might have interested us and we have guys on contracts who know they are not part of the manager's plans. Letting players go before being able to replace them is looking like a gamble gone wrong at the moment and Alan does look to be floundering  but hopefully he will get some quality in. The whole squad including Alan by the look of it need a lift.

Just now, Wendy Saintss said:

Needs to be remembered though that he inherited Mallan, Morgan, McAllister, Naismith and even Hardie.

True, Stubbs also inherited Mackenzie, Eck,+ Reilly..................

Its just a feeling, after hearing about young Ross Stewart wanting to leave, that's a strange one 

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Alloa outperformed us in preseason last year, Thistle destroyed us. It's preseason - for me it's not a time to judge a player's or a team's ability.

3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

True, Stubbs also inherited Mackenzie, Eck,+ Reilly..................

Its just a feeling, after hearing about young Ross Stewart wanting to leave, that's a strange one 

IS there any substance to this Ross Stewart story? Or is it just hearsay? IF it is true, maybe the fact that he hardly got a look in last season and looks like being well down the pecking order this season is an issue for him. It's hardly a bombshell either way...

5 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Needs to be remembered though that he inherited Mallan, Morgan, McAllister, Naismith and even Hardie.

You can't for a minute suggest that Jack inherited anything good. That squad Jack inherited was the worst in living memory.

We were heading directly for the 3rd tier for the first time in our 141 year history.

Just because it was a while ago, don't forget how bad it was.

Just now, Soctty said:

You're right Billy - best not argue the actual point. A deflection is way more fun... :lol:

I'm actually arguing the point , you went to great lengths last season to sing the praises of Jack Baird. Ross Stewart is a decent footballer with a future at good level , Baird isn't , yet it's "hardly a bombshell" if Stewart leaves ? Stewart is mobile and has potential , there are probably about three other players at the club that could be described in the same way !

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Why?

Why are you shocked?

We have never in my lifetime found playing these teams to be easy.

Also the gap between the top and bottom clubs is usually wafer thin at this stage of the season.

Playing Saints is a Cup final for these smaller teams and it only takes a bit of mental rustiness for us to be in trouble.

If you were at the game last night and witnessed such a dire performance against a team that has just been relegated to the lowest division in Scottish football then maybe you would have been shocked as well. As I have said the result did not bother me but the lack of basic skills from professional players. QP were better than us and Sammy saved our blushes.

10 minutes ago, billyg said:

I'm actually arguing the point , you went to great lengths last season to sing the praises of Jack Baird. Ross Stewart is a decent footballer with a future at good level , Baird isn't , yet it's "hardly a bombshell" if Stewart leaves ? Stewart is mobile and has potential , there are probably about three other players at the club that could be described in the same way !

I agree with you on Ross Stewart - I like him. However, he isn't going to get a game, therefore it's not really a huge deal if he wants to leave. If you can't see this then I really can't help you.

Oh, and we disagree on Baird, who is a decent young centre back. Whether he'll develop in the Premiership or flounder remains to be seen. On the basis of a few preseason games it doesn't look good. Thankfully these are largely meaningless friendlies, regardless of their official standing...

ETA Nice to see you actually argue the point, rather than make a flippant comment and run away...

Edited by Soctty

14 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

You can't for a minute suggest that Jack inherited anything good. That squad Jack inherited was the worst in living memory.

We were heading directly for the 3rd tier for the first time in our 141 year history.

Just because it was a while ago, don't forget how bad it was.

That squad included Mallan, Morgan, McAllister, Naismith, Hardie, Mackenzie & Baird. You don't think they were any good?

24 minutes ago, Soctty said:

IS there any substance to this Ross Stewart story? Or is it just hearsay? IF it is true, maybe the fact that he hardly got a look in last season and looks like being well down the pecking order this season is an issue for him. It's hardly a bombshell either way...

Yes there is plenty of substance, he handed it in last Thursday. Its more about the why than the how come