Tuesday's talk in - 1 Question, what would it be!

I think he's keeping his powder dry now after getting done on the 'Marquee Signing" announcement. Its a difficult line to walk, trying to keep the support enthused, whilst trying not to over egg a potential target until they've actually signed.

tall and short of it is we just have to trust him and the squad as it stands on matchday, and be patient until he says business is complete. 

If you want some encouragement, and to draw the stark difference  of approach look at Livi..! Apart from securing Hardy on loan, and retaining Halkett they have had to hit the bargain bins for the likes of Sibbald, and are relying on their 38 year old manager to weigh in with the goals. Looking at them we seem like a decent outfit, even now.

20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think he's keeping his powder dry now after getting done on the 'Marquee Signing" announcement. Its a difficult line to walk, trying to keep the support enthused, whilst trying not to over egg a potential target until they've actually signed.

You beat me to it on this point.

He has hopefully learned to say as little as possible. Give the Drews, Pozbairds and a host of others absolutely no ammunition with which to spend weeks battering you.

Agree with that last sentence in principle but there are areas of the park where we lack either.

I feel it will take more than two players to solve the problem areas on the park. 

We lack cover at right back and we need another striker plus a left sided midfielder.

We have loads of players though.

We can maybe argue over their quality but that’s a different issue.

Yes that's fair.
If we had a left sided midfielder with some pace, and a couple of good strikers then I'd feel a whole lot better about things.
Sounds like we really are going to need to be patient and that none of those are going to be in place anytime soon.

But if we got in a half decent striker and a quality left sided midfielder it could transform the side.

I’d also like a centre half but still hopeful that Heaton will be the real deal.

27 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We lack cover at right back and we need another striker plus a left sided midfielder.

We have loads of players though.

We can maybe argue over their quality but that’s a different issue.

Given Stubbs' comments on Ross Stewart needing to develop, I'd even argue that we might be on the lookout for two centre forwards if Stubbs doesn't fancy him as quite ready at this level. I also think it's become quite apparent very quickly that he'll use Cooke very sparingly indeed if he hasn't really deemed him worthy of even another minute on the park since Spartans whilst other guys who toiled terribly that night like Jim Kellerman and Jeff King have both been given more game time since. 

Right back and left wing we are also painfully short of options and we'll hopefully have someone for both of those positions. 

On top of this, I think we are also quite short of options at centre half.

By my reckoning, that would be 4 or 5 needed to fill the squad out. Will that mean trimming players from other positions? It clearly will if the manager gets his way. I think we are very well populated in central mid and with plenty of quality... we could certainly reduce by one or two and it wouldn't affect the overall quality. All signs at present point to McShane and I dunno, perhaps one of the two youngsters to go out on loan for the experience? Think Cammy McPherson and Ethan Erharon will both struggle to find any sort of game time just now. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, div said:

Staggering if we've shipped out 16, replaced them with 8, been promoted and got £300K compo for Jack yet we've only got room for 2 more players on the budget.

Well we did blow 75k for a part timer to sit on the bench.

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Everyone will have taken a jump in wages after gaining promotion and the new players signed won’t be far off double the wage of players let go so not that surprising to me. P

Very much doubt that.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

tall and short of it is we just have to trust him and the squad as it stands on matchday, and be patient until he says business is complete. 

If you want some encouragement, and to draw the stark difference  of approach look at Livi..! Apart from securing Hardy on loan, and retaining Halkett they have had to hit the bargain bins for the likes of Sibbald, and are relying on their 38 year old manager to weigh in with the goals. Looking at them we seem like a decent outfit, even now.

Agree with your comment here.

Regarding Livi, have they lost any of their best players? We've lost Morgan, Davis and Reilly after all, if Livi have kept the bulk of their squad together they may not actually be looking as bad as it seems. And they did get 11 points in the League Cup. Wouldn't write them off too soon.

The lack of a striker and pace in wide areas is a real problem. The comment that we only have space for two more is baffling as we have let a lot of players go whilst also receiving compensation for jack , selling our most season tickets in many a day, have good sponsors in place and will have better crowds and tv cash. If the best we can do is Jeff king , Cody Cooke and the like then it’s going to be one awfully long season. The heady days of May when we were spouting in the media about being a top six team has vanished to be replaced with nothing of he sort. Alan Stubbs is right we need reinforcements and we need several as let’s be brutally honest here we are in a three team league with the current squad and Livingston have a striker in Miller who will possibly be the difference between winning 1-0 or losing. Smith and Mullen up front is relegation . Smith is a cracking player but he is not a 14 goal. Season out and out striker. Mullen is a good footballer but he is never. Striker . We also might add John McGinn cash but even without that we have to be able to bulk up the squad by a right few if we are to stand any chance of being competitive 

Edited by norrie82

Given Stubbs' comments on Ross Stewart needing to develop, I'd even argue that we might be on the lookout for two centre forwards if Stubbs doesn't fancy him as quite ready at this level. I also think it's become quite apparent very quickly that he'll use Cooke very sparingly indeed if he hasn't really deemed him worthy of even another minute on the park since Spartans whilst other guys who toiled terribly that night like Jim Kellerman and Jeff King have both been given more game time since.  Right back and left wing we are also painfully short of options and we'll hopefully have someone for both of those positions. 

On top of this, I think we are also quite short of options at centre half.

By my reckoning, that would be 4 or 5 needed to fill the squad out. Will that mean trimming players from other positions? It clearly will if the manager gets his way. I think we are very well populated in central mid and with plenty of quality... we could certainly reduce by one or two and it wouldn't affect the overall quality. All signs at present point to McShane and I dunno, perhaps one of the two youngsters to go out on loan for the experience? Think Cammy McPherson and Ethan Erharon will both struggle to find any sort of game time just now. 

We defo don’t need 4 or 5 to fill the squad out. The squad is filled out enough!

We had strikers in Mullen and Stewart. Stubbs himself signed Cooke. That makes 3.

Stubbs also signed 2 centre halves whilst 2 remain. Personally, I’d like to see us sign another one but as we already have 4, I just can’t see it!

We’ve got loads of midfielders with 3 arriving this summer alone.

A striker, winger and right back are all I can see coming in unless others leave.

8 hours ago, billyg said:

ailableIt looks like Stubbs was playing his cards very close to his chest , as far as I can see there was no reference by name to any potential trialists/targets , or was there ?  His comment about 2 , maybe 4 , hopefully 6 coming in means anything could still happen !

Or is it the case that he's guessing, hoping or praying?

So far he's used the budget to bring in players who apart from one look nowhere near as good or fit as those we have or had. If Liam Smith is still available, get him in.

So far he's used the budget to bring in players who apart from one look nowhere near as good or fit as those we have or had. If Liam Smith is still available, get him in.

Seems a bit odd to berate Stubbs for his signings then finish by suggesting we be bring back a player whose replacement was signed by Jack Ross!

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

Very much doubt that.

You don’t think there’s any chance that the new signings won’t be far off double what Stelios, Nathan Flanagan, Gary Irvine, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy and Darren Whyte were on in the Championship. 

I Wouldn’t have thought it would be that far off. 

1 hour ago, Jack the lad said:

A bit like most of the posters on here then.

It never ceases to amuse me about the amount of discussion on here that is based on finances that not one person here has any iota of an idea how much money is involved. In this case relating to players contracts and our former management team's compensation.

In your opinion.

53 minutes ago, davidg said:

You don’t think there’s any chance that the new signings won’t be far off double what Stelios, Nathan Flanagan, Gary Irvine, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy and Darren Whyte were on in the Championship. 

I Wouldn’t have thought it would be that far off. 

I'd imagine that wage would be available to the "marquee signings", surely the guys brought in so far from part time football or on loans aren't costing that much.  I certainly hope not anyway!

10 hours ago, paulsmfc said:

Good night. Thought Stubbsy spoke very well. Some of the questions were awkward and embarassing tho and it's clear some folk have some sort of a vendetta against him already.

The vendetta they have isn't necessarily  just for Stubbsy though . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

33 minutes ago, FTOF said:

A bit like most of the posters on here then.

It never ceases to amuse me about the amount of discussion on here that is based on finances that not one person here has any iota of an idea how much money is involved. In this case relating to players contracts and our former management team's compensation.

In your opinion.

Aye, opinions eh!

I'd imagine that wage would be available to the "marquee signings", surely the guys brought in so far from part time football or on loans aren't costing that much.  I certainly hope not anyway!

On another thread you are complaining about the budget being fully blown.

On this one you are claiming the new signings are cheap and there must be loads of cash left.

[emoji1]

Guest TPAFKATS

Seems a bit odd to berate Stubbs for his signings then finish by suggesting we be bring back a player whose replacement was signed by Jack Ross!

He didn't replace Smith with mcginn.
Smith's loan finished and he returned to his club.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

On another thread you are complaining about the budget being fully blown.

On this one you are claiming the new signings are cheap and there must be loads of cash left.

emoji1.png

Active imagination you have.

Being realistic, it is clear that we live by the same economic rules that any well run club observe. We have 4 players who are considered dispensible.  When/if they leave we free up wages for 4 players. We have a further available budget for 2 players.  That would mean up to 6 players could be brought in. 

Ross does need to bulk up and this can be done. I see a player there. My shopping list would be a pacy winger capable of switching wings, two strikers and cover at right back.