Sign Shankland!

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It's all very clear, I know you're pedantic about English on a fan forum but if you require simplification. (even futher wow)

Playing in leagues further up the pyramid, generate clubs more money :rolleyes: In the case of Ayr, that figure, as evidenced is more than £100k. 

Sponsorship, merch, corporate, etc generate more income when clubs are in higher leagues

I have no doubt Ayr wouldn't stand in his way if a fair offer was to come in. The whole point is to say £100k is fair for your top goalscorer who has pledged to stay for another year at least is complete nonsense. 

I'm saying your estimation that Shanks is worth less than half what Mallan was worth to us is clearly garbage. 

Do you get it now? Is my English on a fan forum good enough for you? :lol:

We got Danny Mullen for £30,000 (if figures are to be believed) in fairly similar circumstances. He is 22 now and don't think Ayr would be entitled to much of a development fee if any. £100,00 profit, as opposed to turnover which is really your argument, would be a decent bit of business plus I'd guess he's one of their higher paid players. 

That said I like the fact that he appears to be paying a bit of loyalty to pretty well the only club to give him a chance last year and fair play to him for that.

2 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

We got Danny Mullen for £30,000 (if figures are to be believed) in fairly similar circumstances. He is 22 now and don't think Ayr would be entitled to much of a development fee if any. £100,00 profit, as opposed to turnover which is really your argument, would be a decent bit of business plus I'd guess he's one of their higher paid players. 

That said I like the fact that he appears to be paying a bit of loyalty to pretty well the only club to give him a chance last year and fair play to him for that.

Mullen, wasn't playing regularly for Livi, he certainly wasn't a goal machine for them, he hadn't just signed a new contract.

They wouldn't get a penny if his contract expired, correct but who's to say it will? He might sign a longer one.  Can you imagine you were an Ayr fan and after getting him tied down for another year, you sold him for what in real terms isn't big bucks? I know I'd be raging. £100k could be squandered on poorer players, £100k or a player showing all the signs he'll bang them in this season? I know what I would have picked. 

There's no danger a bid of £100k would be accepted, if it would be clubs would be bidding as we speak. Also not to mention he turned down bigger offers to re-sign already. 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Mullen, wasn't playing regularly for Livi, he certainly wasn't a goal machine for them, he hadn't just signed a new contract.

They wouldn't get a penny if his contract expired, correct but who's to say it will? He might sign a longer one.  Can you imagine you were an Ayr fan and after getting him tied down for another year, you sold him for what in real terms isn't big bucks? I know I'd be raging. £100k could be squandered on poorer players, £100k or a player showing all the signs he'll bang them in this season? I know what I would have picked. 

There's no danger a bid of £100k would be accepted, if it would be clubs would be bidding as we speak. Also not to mention he turned down bigger offers to re-sign already. 

Only because he was coming back from injury but irrespective of goal machine he was easily rated as their best player by a number of their fans.

Might's and maybes isn't really how business works the only current definite is that he's out of contract at the end of the season and only chose to sign a one year deal (a bit like Reilly with us last year).

Football fans are always raging, just look on here, but they keep coming back for more and clubs know this. Any fan that would chuck it over the selling of one player isn't that much of a loss.

Clubs will be keeping a watchful eye I'm but will also remember how poor he was latterly with us and at Morton.

Edited by WeeBud

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I play walking football run by Ayr Utd. & the inside word is that LS hired a personal fitness instructor and shed over a stone from his last season with us/Morton - congrats to the guy who  could've been just another washed  up "contender" at 22 but now he's earned himself another chance.

Probably the hot ticket right now & thus out of our price range but after spending big on Talent Show hopefools (sic) who knows? 

I’m sure I saw he qualified as a personal trainer himself and did it through Scott Agnew’s Fitness Training company

Shankland may turn out to be a superstar but lets not get carried away.

For comparison, Shankland scored 26 league goals last season.

Nick Clark scored 32 goals in the same division with QoS.

Andy Ryan managed 23 at that level with an inferior Airdrie side. He managed 4 last season in a higher division.

Even Allan Russell managed 28 goals in a season at that level!

And closer to home, our own Ross Stewart has managed 19 goals in 45 games at that level with Albion Rovers & Alloa. Jordan Kirkpatrick managed 14 from midfield at that level.

19 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Only because he was coming back from injury but irrespective of goal machine he was easily rated as their best player by a number of their fans.

Might's and maybes isn't really how business works the only current definite is that he's out of contract at the end of the season and only chose to sign a one year deal (a bit like Reilly with us last year).

Football fans are always raging, just look on here, but they keep coming back for more and clubs know this. Any fan that would chuck it over the selling of one player isn't that much of a loss.

Clubs will be keeping a watchful eye I'm but will also remember how poor he was latterly with us and at Morton.

None of that suggests me that Shanks will be a St Mirren player (or any other team bar Ayr) this season. He signed the contract when he had better deals on the table to show some loyalty. Nothing has changed, his form has just continued. 

It's also not an if, but or a maybe that being in the Championship generates more money than being in L1. If Ayr management don't take into consideration the importance he really could be this year versus the hit they'll take if relegated, they aren't very good at their jobs. So basically £100k or £50k and a player is not going to happen. 

Baffles me the same people thinking Ayr have a player that is such quality that SP clubs should pay money for him (given the majority of players at our level are free) do not recognise Ayr won't want to lose that asset for such a small fee. :blink:

18 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

New manager, premier league, mair dosh. Oh and our oustanding training facility with the expensive carpet.

New manager has had a mair of a start, Jack Ross would of been a more appealing boss. 

Turned down more dosh and two SP clubs to sign new deal with Ayr couple months back. 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:23 AM, Lord Pityme said:

We need goals - He scoring for fun

We need a focus point up front - he bursts through defences, makes it eadier for midfield to link up, great target for an out.

We need someone who is lean and hungry - he looks well toned, and strong

We need someone with the above capabilities, in our budget - this he is, with only avyear left on his current contract

get on it Tony & Stubbzo, buy the guy who scores!

He's coming home

he's coming home

oh buddies... Shanks is coming home..!

Ayr putting out the 'come and get him' statement to St Mirren.. 

Message from manager Ian McCall :” I wanted to respond to the media speculation over the last 24 hours surrounding Lawrence Shankland. 

There have been enquiries, over the last few weeks, about a number of our players including Lawrence Shankland. All of these players are under contract to Ayr United Football Club. 

It would be wrong of me to mention clubs names however we have had a number of enquiries about Lawrence from North and South of the border. All of these clubs have been informed that we would be extremely reluctant sellers and that it would take a significant transfer fee with a number of add ons for us even to consider it.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Absolutely no chance of Shankland re-joining us. 

I'm not sure he should ever have left, but there's nothing to say he would have kicked on if JR hadn't effectively bagged him.

But aye, he won't be back in the black and white stripes.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm not sure he should ever have left, but there's nothing to say he would have kicked on if JR hadn't effectively bagged him.

But aye, he won't be back in the black and white stripes.

Certainly not at 250k, we wouldn't pay that for an experienced proven premiership player, never mind one who has only ever done well at league 1 level. 

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Certainly not at 250k, we wouldn't pay that for an experienced proven premiership player, never mind one who has only ever done well at league 1 level. 

Jeeez oh, not anothe Bazil made up figure..!

it will be £100k- ish with sell on clause, appearances and international caps. The bid is in hence Ayr's statement.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Errr might want to reconsider that given we've accepted a bid for Stewart as part of the chain to sign Shanks.

A little quick with the gloating...even IF a plan to sign Larry is afoot then we should all know by now that such plans often don't go to plan.  As often happens a "big" club like Arthurlie or someone might come in with higher wages!!!!!

If I were minded like you I would wait and see if Larry signs for us and then post a "told you so" type retort and if he doesn't sign then you won't have posted anything thus you won't look daft. 

Constraint I say, constraint indeed