Saints v Celtic, Friday 14th September

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM, DougJamie said:

Good point, u don't even get that in a Champions League final

Championship Winners v Premiership Winners.  This game sums up what gaining promotion was all about. A busy and noisy stadium and a visit from the top teams in the country. Looking forward to the game.

Great. W7. Prepare to make some noise. 

Whilst I accept that Celtic are Scottish champions and that the match attracts a big crowd, I do baulk a little at some of the sycophantic pish about “these are the nights you dream of” or “this is what promotion was all about” nonsense. Maybe it’s because I come from an era when we gave the likes of Celtic a reasonably regular scudding that this sort of patter gets my goat a bit. 

Might try big Cole at left back for this one, seems that is where he started his career.  Paul McGinn back to right back .

Unsure of midfield but hope McGennis can pick up his Scotland form and deliver a performance on big stage.

Centre defence remains a worry as does striker.

Concerned about Forrest for them, hope we can keep him quiet.

Wish all us Buddies have a night to remember.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Whilst I accept that Celtic are Scottish champions and that the match attracts a big crowd, I do baulk a little at some of the sycophantic pish about “these are the nights you dream of” or “this is what promotion was all about” nonsense. Maybe it’s because I come from an era when we gave the likes of Celtic a reasonably regular scudding that this sort of patter gets my goat a bit. 

I can only go back to 1974. During that time I recall a number of good wins against Celtic but also some drubbings.  Hasn't put me off.  The games against Aberdeen at their peak were ones that I really enjoyed. Winning cups has been great.  Winning promotions has been great.  Relegations have not.  So.. I am personally going to enjoy looking forward with child like enthusiasm to playing the Champions of the Premiership.. Celtic.. Double Treble Winners.. Now that doesn't come around often.  Do I hope we can take something from them then the answer is yes.  But it's a free world. Our opinions on this differ. 

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I can only go back to 1974. During that time I recall a number of good wins against Celtic but also some drubbings.  Hasn't put me off.  The games against Aberdeen at their peak were ones that I really enjoyed. Winning cups has been great.  Winning promotions has been great.  Relegations have not.  So.. I am personally going to enjoy looking forward with child like enthusiasm to playing the Champions of the Premiership.. Celtic.. Double Treble Winners.. Now that doesn't come around often.  Do I hope we can take something from them then the answer is yes.  But it's a free world. Our opinions on this differ. 

Nah sorry to disagree with you Ricky. I couldn’t give a monkey’s who are the champions unless it’s St. Mirren. Also, unlike you, in the same era, I looked forward to playing Aberdeen a damn sight less than I did Celtic as I’m pretty sure we beat Celtic a helluva lot more times than we did Aberdeen 

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Nah sorry to disagree with you Ricky. I couldn’t give a monkey’s who are the champions unless it’s St. Mirren. Also, unlike you, in the same era, I looked forward to playing Aberdeen a damn sight less than I did Celtic as I’m pretty sure we beat Celtic a helluva lot more times than we did Aberdeen 

Aberdeen were tough to beat then and we had to be at the top of our game to take anything from them.  strangely. I liked that.  Celtic were more up and down.  When they were flying they gave us a few big hidings but we could also score 4 against them from time to time.  Like you,  I am a Saint Mirren man to the core but I do like seeing top players live on either side and Celtic have some top players.  Ntcham I like.  Will be good to see how we set up and how we do against the top teams. Just my take.  To have a game you need two teams.  To have atmosphere,  you need home and away fans.  Playing teams in Europe who had players like Platini was great.  The best we can do at the moment is to Play the Double Treble Winning Side coming to Paisley tomorrow.  Now that is a first.  Each to their own though,  I agree. COYS

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I remember when we broke the Scottish transfer market and could compete with the likes of Celtic. Unfortunately the football map has changed somewhat from these day's.  Celtic have a team full of International stars worth millions. To put St Mirren v Celtic into some sort of context its bit like Celtic v Barcelona.  

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

But.....these are the games that being the Premiership is all about. A big crowd and playing the best opposition in the country.....same goes for playing Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts. A win in one of these games is something to remember, certainly beats playing in front of an empty stadium against Dumbarton or Brechin.

I draw the line at Sevco though, would rather watch a reserve game against East Kilbride than breath the same air as those f**king mutants.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

these are the nights you dream of

FECKING BE QUIET I'm dreaming.

A fairytale in Paisley

Once upon a time Jack fecked off.

Leaving Tony’s team terrified of the giants

but OKy had magic beans

and Oky went to BAWA land

Oky used his magic Beans

Chopped down the bigots beanstock

and the Saints were on their way

I’ll win the league or a cup said Oky

and the BAWA lived happily ever after,

Sounds weird......................does he have a dungeon? [emoji14]

Perhaps ‘found 3 Saints fans’ sounds sinister [emoji23]

He met 3 Saints fans today or last night, guessing they are on holiday, so hopefully they enjoy ( like us ) a surprise Saints win.

I honestly believe the team will put on a great performance tonight [emoji4]

Saints to win 2-1

Dreading watching Brown getting away with kicking, bullying the midfield and allowing the remaining Celtic midfield to run over us.  Like him or loath him, he brings that Billy Abercrombie, Goodwin strength to the mid-field that we are severely lacking these days.

Just hope the young guys don't get caught up in his antics.  He always seems to get sympathy from refs, while our guys get booked for first tackle!

Early to bed tonight, then up in middle of night to watch game live on internet!

2 minutes ago, bonzoboys said:

Dreading watching Brown getting away with kicking, bullying the midfield and allowing the remaining Celtic midfield to run over us.  Like him or loath him, he brings that Billy Abercrombie, Goodwin strength to the mid-field that we are severely lacking these days.

Just hope the young guys don't get caught up in his antics.  He always seems to get sympathy from refs, while our guys get booked for first tackle!

Early to bed tonight, then up in middle of night to watch game live on internet!

Exactly the type of player Scotland were missing on Monday night.

As shite as Albania were they ran straight through us at times. 

Back on topic....................if it's 0-0 at half time we'll have them, we're a good 2nd half team. :wink:

58 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Exactly the type of player Scotland were missing on Monday night.

As shite as Albania were they ran straight through us at times. 

Back on topic....................if it's 0-0 at half time we'll have them, we're a good 2nd half team. :wink:

And they would have ran straight through Brown also. 

He is a protected species in the SPFL Premiership and gets away with the majority of the shite he produces. 

Scottish Referees should be red carding him every match. 

54 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It's the Final Countdown. (Cue Music) to the Clash of The Champions. Scarf..ready. Season Ticket..ready. Parking Ticket...ready. 1877 Club Card...ready. Saint's Song Book..ready.

Don't care about them being champions. 

Everything they win is achieved via Sectarian hatred in Scottish Football. 

FECKEM