Saints v Celtic, Friday 14th September

Just home. Great night. What a signing Ferdinand is , especially for Baird who I thought was superb. Great first half performance. When they went down to 10 men I thought for a brief moment we could win. 2nd half Celtic dominated the ball as we sat back however Celtic were bigger fitter faster and stronger, even with 10. Thought Scott Brown was immense tonight unfortunately. Our season started tonight and I am optimistic. COYS

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Most important thing for me about tonight is that we look like we have a defence again. Looked really solid and loads of spirit being shown with bodies being thrown in the way of shots etc.

Sure you could argue that it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity and perhaps we could have been a little more adventurous in the second half, but after the guff we’ve been treated to so far this season, I’m certainly not going to complain. 

Against any other team in this league, every one of them, including the Sevco EBT FC, I’m sure we would have been more adventurous. Against them though (just look at their brilliant quick counter attack goal against Sevco recently), it probably would have went badly. Kearney did exactly what was needed under tonight’s set of circumstances. 

Pride restored and a point against an ugly. Fine by me.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Brilliant performance from all. Thought Ferdinand strolled through the game.

We were by far the better team for the first half hour or so. I actually thought the sending off seemed to work against us. Second half we sat in too deep and let them come at us. In particular Boyata seemed to have the freedom of Paisley when he had the ball. Got to say brown was immense for the tic. 

All in all a fantastic debut for both manager and new central defender and a fantastic performance from all our lads.

one question I would ask is what position was Coulson playing when he came on? Flumuxed me.

I think Coulson was playing the ‘fresh legs and take some time off the clock making the substitution’ position. :D

Very proud of the boys tonight. Effort was fantastic. Maybe OK should get the magician in every week. Don't want to pick a MOM thought everybody was excellent. But pick one out. Ferdinand strolled through the game for his 73 mins. Considering he's not played since the end of last season. Always had respect for Brendan but to say that wasn't a sending is just ridiculous. If Stubbs had have boss tonight that's a point we wouldn't have had. Well done Oran and the boys. Hopefully the feelgood factor is back. Coys

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I think Coulson was playing the ‘fresh legs and take some time off the clock making the substitution’ position. :D

I thought that when he came on but he didn't really contribute. Looked out of sorts. Hopefully a temporary thing because I think we have a player there.

Second half we sat in too deep and let them come at us. In particular Boyata seemed to have the freedom of Paisley when he had the ball.

That was the game plan - sit and let them try pick us apart, and to be fair it worked... they rarely breached our disciplined lines.
Boyata is a donkey with the ball at his feet, we seen JR employ a very similar tactic involving him 2 seasons ago at Celtic Park in the cup game.

6 minutes ago, st jock said:

Just home. Great night. What a signing Ferdinand is , especially for Baird who I thought was superb. Great first half performance. When they went down to 10 men I thought for a brief moment we could win. 2nd half Celtic dominated the ball as we sat back however Celtic were bigger fitter faster and stronger, even with 10. Thought Scott Brown was immense tonight unfortunately. Our season started tonight and I am optimistic. COYS

Brown was immense particularly when he dropped back into defence.. I also thought our boy Edwards put in a massive shift. Just didn't stop closing Celtic down and is calm on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

That was the game plan - sit and let them try pick us apart, and to be fair it worked... they rarely breached our disciplined lines.
Boyata is a donkey with the ball at his feet, we seen JR employ a very similar tactic involving him 2 seasons ago at Celtic Park in the cup game.

Yes. But given the high intensive, counter attacking play we deployed in the first half I expected a wee bit more enterprise when they were a man light. I know I'm being picky as this was, considering the last few games, a monumental achievement for our guys and I'm delighted for them.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Anton Ferdinand never knew most of his team-mates names and was not match fit.

Edwards never knew most of his team-mates names and has just arrived.

Our new boss was making a huge step up to full time management and as above, hardly even knows the players names.

We were playing the Champions with top quality players.

We have been shipping four in under thirty minutes and have been out before it’s half-time.

Our record against that mob is hardly stellar, a 7-0 gubbing would not have been unthinkable.

... and we got a point. Personally, I’d have been happy had we just looked a bit more organised and had tried our best. Bloody great point...Sutton, you wank.

Isn't he just; at least Coisty et al were reasonably objective  ... he was just objectionable!  B)

In what way?
The most important thing tonight was to rebuild some confidence in the team and actually defend properly.
Great performance in both halves from us defensively.
Need to work on creativity though.

Absolutely , Stevie wonder could have noticed the difference in spirit , attitude and player performances both individually and as a team.

Our players gave everything tonight against a team with many international players.

Early days I know, but what a start [emoji106]

A lot of nonsense spouted tonight by Sutton about us getting a poor point as we never went all out for three against ten men.

How many domestic defeats have Brendan Rogers' Celtic had?

How many positive domestic results have they got with less than eleven men?

Great point! Well done Saints!