Saints v Celtic, Friday 14th September

I would like to emphasize the part played by Magennis in subduing Celtic's most dangerous player, Forrest.  I thought he played really well in what was a very difficult task. 

Bringing on Coulson to play a forward role was good thinking by OK.  I think Coulson is probably a better forward than he is a fullback.   It's a pity he didn't have  more time to prove himself in this new position.

Congratulations to all tonight.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

3 hours ago, Russian Saint said:
3 hours ago, cambiebud said:
Yes he has. Claims he doesn’t like to criticise officials but thought the sending off was wrong! Claims Ntcham didn’t touch him. Brendan son, wrong wrong wrong. Wonder if he’ll admit it when he watches it on replay

I thought his first booking was a bit harsh, as was Edwards (all be it I haven’t seen replays) Ntcham’s second booking was foolish and probably done out of frustration, but a booking none the less. So he had to go.

His first booking was for persistent fouling (for three fouls that on another day; each might have been given a yellow for) ergo not unwarranted and his second was his ego, because he lost the ball he thought I can't let that go and hence the second (correctly given) yellow. A schoolboy error.

2 hours ago, Yflab said:
3 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Sutton said that our dressing room was poisonous. If it was it was his pals Stubbs and Jackson that made it that way.

Sutton’s a cnut. And we all hate Darren Jackson!

Why they don't paint Sutton green and put him in  a leprechaun outfit I don't know?  I mean that way he would not only be acting like a clown but look the part!  :lol:

Anton Ferdinand never knew most of his team-mates names and was not match fit.
Edwards never knew most of his team-mates names and has just arrived.
Our new boss was making a huge step up to full time management and as above, hardly even knows the players names.
We were playing the Champions with top quality players.
We have been shipping four in under thirty minutes and have been out before it’s half-time.
Our record against that mob is hardly stellar, a 7-0 gubbing would not have been unthinkable.

... and we got a point. Personally, I’d have been happy had we just looked a bit more organised and had tried our best. Bloody great point...Sutton, you wank.

^^^^^^^^^^^
100% spot on.

All I hoped for was effort, organisation and team spirit which we got, plus some. We have our club back.

Absolute night and day compared to the previous games this season. Players looked motivated, confident and committed. The one thing they didn't look was fit enough to play with a high enough level of intensity in the second half, but that will come. It's just a real pity we couldn't take one of those first half chances.

Thought Ferdinand and Edwards had very promising debuts. Mullen, Smith, Magennis and Baird all looked like new signings and a special mention for Hodson, playing out of position against James Forrest. I thought he did really well. Mind you, he did get a bit of a breather for that half hour where Rodgers inexplicably played that big donkey Ajer out there. We were just letting him have the ball and waiting for him to f**k up.

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

They may have had two stands, but I didn’t hear them all night emoji4.png

I know it's a highly controversial opinion on here, but I quite liked having them in both stands. Thought the atmosphere was fantastic last night, the whole West stand was singing for the whole time and it looked like a similar story in the main stand. Just a pity the Celtic fans didn't actually sing a football song for the whole 90 mins.

Would have bitten your hand off for a draw before the game bloody he'll we could have won that with a bit of luck. Every player played their part the first half was like a continue of last season well done Oran for putting the spirit back in the club.  Had two Celtic mates round last night for grub and beer. One took it well the other not which took me by surprise as we are quite close he thought it was going to be four or five. My phone is full of texts this morning from none Saints fans congratulating me :clapping. Sutton what a silly man. 

Great performance by the boys last night which just proves how bad a job Stubbs was doing. I thought the passion and will to win was back in the team and the early signs are that we will start to look like a decent team again. One down side to the game last night was the constant pro IRA songs being sung from our home end. It is my opinion that no amount of extra revenue is worth it, it's bad enough at their place. Our share of the crowd was significantly lower last night because of this poor decision give them our home end. I think lots of fans gave it a miss and i don't blame them, games against the OF are my least favourite games of the season because of the sectarian bile coming from their fans.

31 minutes ago, norman said:

I know it's a highly controversial opinion on here, but I quite liked having them in both stands. Thought the atmosphere was fantastic last night, the whole West stand was singing for the whole time and it looked like a similar story in the main stand. Just a pity the Celtic fans didn't actually sing a football song for the whole 90 mins.

Yeh they just sneak into the main stand if they cant get tickets for the away stand.

Remember how disappointed we were drawing over 90 mins with Queens Park and Spartans just a few weeks ago?

It's a testament to how well OK got us organised that there was also a bit of disappointment about how we 'only' got a draw against Celtic last night.

For me a point was absolutely fine - but I'll take others' higher bar as a sign that things are certainly moving in the right direction! [emoji16]

Promising platform for OK to build from. Ferdinand while clearly not fit was a class above anyone Stubbs was able to attract and everyone looked committed and motivated. Thought we were a bit too passive in the second half and when you see the fitness and physique of the Celtic players compared to us (especially upper body strength) you do have to wonder how much effort has been put into training and pre season but that is fixable. Got to get points on the board and while a point against Celtic is always welcome we need to be regularly taking points off our bottom six rivals starting next week at Hamilton. Onwards and upwards.

Quite a lot made of "Dropped points," and "playing for a draw,." in some quarters (JS). Let me just say that Celtic went out second half to play a safety first keep posession game. They kept posession by playing it between the back three and taking next to no risk going forward. Rodgers set out his team to do this after going to ten men and having a horror show in the first half. I think Celtic were as guilty of accepting a point as we  were, maybe more so.  They showed almost no ambition going forward and did nothing with their posession .

Having said that, if Griffiths had been on side, we'd be hearing about a Rodger tactical master class.

When St Mirren did get the ball, they pushed forward and tried to attack. When not on the ball they defended strongly.

Great point. Sutton is just mad that we did not go for it, leave ourselves exposed and lose to a sucker punch