Saints v Celtic, Friday 14th September

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Great game,great performance. Very optimistic going forward now. If we can bring in a good quality front man or if Brock madsen feels transformed we will be mid table by Christmas. 

Mullen and Smith will be good enough to see us through till January. If we bring in another striker it needs to be someone with genuine quality who can improve the squad.

Id let Brock GTF now. Hes getting nowhere near that team. 

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

I reckon that was the final nail for him. A f**king ridiculous position from a man who had clearly lost the plot. That christ he has gone.

Indeed , an almost miraculous turnaround in our fortunes , which only goes to highlight just how bad Stubbs was.  .

Anyway , onwards and upwards . I think we could be in for a cracking game next week . .

Just now, Wendy Saintss said:

Even if Celtic played every game with 10 men they’d probably still win the league.

This is a fantastic result.

Telling that only 2 Stubbs signings made the starting line up. And they are the guys with bags of experience.

And one of them just happened to sign when Stubbs was there but had been identified by someone else at the Club. Good riddance AS - you couln't have f**ked it up any more if it was your master plan (or maybe it was?).

I see the second half differently to a lot on here. I believe it would have been nothing other than stupidity to have gone attacking against the 10 men, because Celtic playing on the break or against an open and non-compact Saints would, in my opinion, very likely have nicked a goal or two with their strength and speed. We needed to remain compact and use the extra man not to attack, but to continually use two men to press the Celtic player in possession whilst WE continued to play on the break trying to make runs if they left themselves short at the back, and with luck get a chance or two to nick a goal. That is what Kearney set the team out to do, and he did it successfully. The reason we didn't get two or three more direct chances to score were NOT because of the formation or tactics, but because when we did get forward, which we did on three or four occasions including the free kick, our players either took a touch too many or didn't play an obvious pass when they should have.

It was a great job all round, both from the set tactics, and from the players in executing them.

On another point from last night, our club's organisation relating to the car park was an utter disgrace. Fans with passes not being left in a queue of cars and missing kickoff because they let in too many pay on the day vehicles leaving not enough for those that have paid for annual passes. The club needs to look at this seriously. I missed the first 5 minutes of the game because of them (and in case anybody says I should have left earlier, I was within 2 minutes of the ground at 7:15pm, it was the police and stewards that caused the delays and holdups through incompetence.

3 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

I see the second half differently to a lot on here. I believe it would have been nothing other than stupidity to have gone attacking against the 10 men, because Celtic playing on the break or against an open and non-compact Saints would, in my opinion, very likely have nicked a goal or two with their strength and speed. We needed to remain compact and use the extra man not to attack, but to continually use two men to press the Celtic player in possession whilst WE continued to play on the break trying to make runs if they left themselves short at the back, and with luck get a chance or two to nick a goal. That is what Kearney set the team out to do, and he did it successfully. The reason we didn't get two or three more direct chances to score were NOT because of the formation or tactics, but because when we did get forward, which we did on three or four occasions including the free kick, our players either took a touch too many or didn't play an obvious pass when they should have.

It was a great job all round, both from the set tactics, and from the players in executing them.

I don't think anyone would seriously have expected us to attack, attack, attack. If we had been able to continued in the manner we did in the first half we might have got an even more unexpected outcome. That said. It was probably unreasonable to expect that given the energy levels required to do so. IF we had a decent big striker to hold up play then we could have had an out. We didn't so we couldn't. A great point and an indication that our manager thinks about the opposition properly and organises accordingly. All good signs.

On another point from last night, our club's organisation relating to the car park was an utter disgrace. Fans with passes not being left in a queue of cars and missing kickoff because they let in too many pay on the day vehicles leaving not enough for those that have paid for annual passes. The club needs to look at this seriously. I missed the first 5 minutes of the game because of them (and in case anybody says I should have left earlier, I was within 2 minutes of the ground at 7:15pm, it was the police and stewards that caused the delays and holdups through incompetence.

You should have left earlier

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is it right?
I am more than happy, and I think spot on to call last nights team as Oran's!
The previous manager would never have gotten that performance.
We are living in the reign of King Oran... time to move on.

Bloody hell, he seems to be happy.

This Kearney fellow is nothing short of a miracle worker.

We move on - bottom line Stubbs wasn’t a right fit for the club, these things happen. The change in atmosphere last night was tangible and I don’t think it would have mattered if we had lost the game as there was enough on show to suggest that we will make a fist of staying in this league. A point from one half of the ugly sisters is magic and to hear them greeting about the referee is even better !

Onwards and hopefully upwards ....... it’s going to be OK, get yourselves to Hamilton next week.

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So two wrongs make a right......................whatever keeps people happy. 

I don't see either of them as being "wrong".

Although I find it strange that anyone can object to Stubbs still getting in the neck from some quarters given the complete James Hunt of a state he got the club into and the subsequent misery that he inflicted on the fans.

I find it even stranger that the odd poster still finds it within themselves to denigrate the performance our most successful manager in years.

Still, each to their own.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I don't see either of them as being "wrong".

Although I find it strange that anyone can object to Stubbs still getting in the neck from some quarters given the complete James Hunt of a state he got the club into and the subsequent misery that he inflicted on the fans.

I find it even stranger that the odd poster still finds it within themselves to denigrate the performance our most successful manager in years.

Still, each to their own.

Careful, you'll be stealing Drews title of Drama Queen with statements like that. :lol:

I wonder what Ferdinand's arrival means for Heaton and Kpekewa? The squad is quite big now, is Keaney going to be able to get some of the duds out the door?  Surely we will stick with Heaton given the money we have paid for him, but I just can't see him getting a first team game. What a crazy waste of money...

Time will tell on Heaton. I’ve not seen enough of him to make a call and would like to think that players of Ferdinand’s experience would be great for Josh to learn from.

Kpekwa is a different case as he just seems woefully short on quality. That being said there was obviously a player in there at some point and, same as above, maybe that can be nurtured.

I think that OK’s man management skills will be sorely tested in the coming weeks as a lot of Stubbs signings will be feeling a little vulnerable right now and they are still still Saints players.

Well the morning  afternoon after the night before and what a night. Apart from their song Choices, I never saw any bother with Celtic fans and the ground being full made it a great atmosphere. The performance was good and the effort and attitude was first class and the match was enjoyable. What a buzz there was about Paisley after the game and we partied in the Bull with our new found Irish Saints fans who had travelled all the way from Coleraine.  What a good bunch they were. Oran has two lovely sisters and a bunch of first class mates. Anyway admittedly I had a couple of sherbets last night and my head wasn't in the best of places but somewhere bouncing about in the memory banks this morning was "A big striker's getting signed this week and will be in place for the Hamilton game". Maybe it was the guy in the kebab shop who told me this or maybe it was someone ITK but I think things are definitely looking up.

Lot's more nights like that please, Oran. 

COYS

Edited by East Lothian Saint