Ross Stewart to Ross County

djchapsticks

As usual half truths, yes he was on loan at that level but he was a Carlisle Utd player and before that Wigan Athletic. So Aberdeen signed a Carlisle player whereas our similar stature striker came from the mighty Truro  !!

He was playing in the 7th tier of English football last year.

For the “mighty” North Ferriby United.

That’s a level BELOW that which Cooke was playing in!

That isn’t a “half truth”

It’s a 100% genuine fact!

And I’m not really sure why you feel the need to belittle one of our own players? [emoji848]

15 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

And I’m not really sure why you feel the need to belittle one of our own players? emoji848.png

Cosgrove was playing in the fifth tier of English football, the National League, a level above Truro.

Is it your fact checkers night off Andy?

47 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Cosgrove was playing in the fifth tier of English football, the National League, a level above Truro.

Is it your fact checkers night off Andy?

Cosgrave was also just 19(ish) at the time. Cooke is mid-20s now so you would imagine Cosgrave has more potential too.

Cosgrove was playing in the fifth tier of English football, the National League, a level above Truro. Is it your fact checkers night off Andy?

Yeh, I’ll need to sack my fact checker for that. ☹️

To be honest, just read that the team is now in the 7th tier. Didn’t realise they’d been relegated in successive seasons!

Still, if even Aberdeen’s main striker was playing at that level then I don’t think that Saints fans can afford to be so snobby! [emoji12]

In truth, I want to see us sign a quality striker too. I’m just not that sure that there are many around!

9 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

And I’m not really sure why you feel the need to belittle one of our own players? emoji848.png

Desperate attempt to justify gimmick signings.

A players pedigree is invariably the best indication of their ability.

Mediocre players shouldnt automatically lead to relegation, we had plenty of them during MacPherson’s (Alan Reid) & Lennon’s (Gareth Wardlaw) tenures but if Heaton doesn't start tomorrow then Stubbsy should either repay the £75k transfer fee plus one-third of his wages (to compensate for the length of the deal) or resign.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Mediocre players shouldnt automatically lead to relegation, we had plenty of them during MacPherson’s (Alan Reid) & Lennon’s (Gareth Wardlaw) tenures but if Heaton doesn't start tomorrow then Stubbsy should either repay the £75k transfer fee plus one-third of his wages (to compensate for the length of the deal) or resign.

Too many cans of dragon soup?

46 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Too many cans of dragon soup?

No real counterargument?

We all know how hard it is for a club our size to get deals completed nowadays so for Stubbsy to waste the first two weeks of his tenure on ego driven gimmick signings was inexcusable. In addition to the aforementioned consequences if Heaton doesn't start tomorrow Stubbsy should be placed in stocks and have rotten fruit thrown at him for the current striker debacle - proceeds to charidee.

Were fortunate that Scottish football is so mediocre that even Stubbsys gross mismanagement is easily rectifiable with a coupla decent signings before the transfer window ends.

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

No real counterargument?

We all know how hard it is for a club our size to get deals completed nowadays so for Stubbsy to waste the first two weeks of his tenure on ego driven gimmick signings was inexcusable. In addition to the aforementioned consequences if Heaton doesn't start tomorrow Stubbsy should be placed in stocks and have rotten fruit thrown at him for the current striker debacle - proceeds to charidee.

Were fortunate that Scottish football is so mediocre that even Stubbsys gross mismanagement is easily rectifiable with a coupla decent signings before the transfer window ends.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Indeed.

Some posts on here are so stupid, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless and moronic they really do not merit anyone wasting their time with a counter argument!  

12 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yeh, I’ll need to sack my fact checker for that. ☹️

To be honest, just read that the team is now in the 7th tier. Didn’t realise they’d been relegated in successive seasons!

Still, if even Aberdeen’s main striker was playing at that level then I don’t think that Saints fans can afford to be so snobby! emoji12.png

In truth, I want to see us sign a quality striker too. I’m just not that sure that there are many around!

Exactly, we all do as what we have simply won't be good enough. It's the point I was making. I'm not having a wholesale go at Stubbs or his signings, some show promise. It's the forward situation specifically that concerns me but we all know it's the hardest gem to find.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I really think we need to get real on what we think is a quality striker and what level they are scoring..... There are no guarantees.

Only 5 players got more than 10 leagues goals last year in Premiership , Boyd, Morelos, Windass, Schalk, and Sinclair.

You could only argue that Boyd and Schalk were quality finishers and obviously Schalk got relegated.....

So are we looking for- basically a goal scorer at any senior level is desirable, hence Shankland at Scotlands 3 rd tier potentially commanding 250k.

With this in mind, it still wrangles with me that Reilly is away.

Have to say that one is weird..... not bloody Ross Stewart

Edited by DougJamie

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

.With this in mind, it still wrangles with me that Reilly is away.

Given that two of the most recent topic headings on The Bristol Rovers Forum are "We desperately need a decent striker" and "2 days to go then and no sign of strikers", I think it rankles with the Bristol Rovers fans too.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

27 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Exactly, we all do as what we have simply won't be good enough. It's the point I was making. I'm not having a wholesale go at Stubbs or his signings, some show promise. It's the forward situation specifically that concerns me but we all know it's the hardest gem to find.

Like many on here, we have no idea how much time and effort AS is putting in to find the right and available strikers. He is aware of our deficiencies up front and is trying to resolve the situation.  No doubt some of his targets have fallen through and he is pursuing others.  He clearly has his eye down south and I would rather we were more patient to bring in the quality we need than repeat the folly of previous manager by signing players grossly overweight and/or not good enough at this level to boost numbers and keep fans happy. Stubbs knows the quality needed and will bring that in.

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Given that two of the most recent topic headings on The Bristol Rovers Forum are "We desperately need a decent striker" and "2 days to go then and no sign of strikers", I think it rankles with the Bristol Rovers fans too.:lol:

That'll be the Reilly that scored 2 goals in the 3 games we played against Premier league teams last year?