Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

St.Ricky

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
19 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
That cant be right? I am sure there were no end of experts on here stating categorically that Shanks was an average League One player and not worth a transfer fee..!
get Mullen punted in a cash/player deal and let Brock/Shanks rampage defences....

According to a guy sitting behind me at Pittodrie we had option to sign Shankland at start of season for a £10,000 signing on fee but we decided not to take up the deal.

That'll be a fact then. :lol:

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

No I didn’t see the game. Certainly not surprised we got gubbed though. Wasn’t surprised when it happened last year and won’t be surprised when it happens again.

We’ve lost two out of our six competitive games, at Ibrox and Pittodrie.

We’ve had two games against teams of a similar level to us. Kilmarnock and Dundee, we won one and drew one.

Got out the league cup group stage for the first time ever. It’s been a good start.

I certainly won’t be pressing the panic button after losses at grounds where we almost always lose. Will you be?

He already has, some weeks ago. 

Serious question. I’m already sick of hearing ‘I never expected us to win today at (insert name of stadium)’... what’s the fcuking point if we don’t expect anything but an arse rogering at Celtic Park, Sevco Stadium, Pittodrie... and, I assume, Tynecastle, Easter Road... McDiarmid? Fir Park?
Where is it OK to expect last season’s Champions to turn up, compete, look organised, have a plan, not roll over and have our dicks tickled, and make a game of it? 

Did you expect us to win?

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Serious question. I’m already sick of hearing ‘I never expected us to win today at (insert name of stadium)’... what’s the fcuking point if we don’t expect anything but an arse rogering at Celtic Park, Sevco Stadium, Pittodrie... and, I assume, Tynecastle, Easter Road... McDiarmid? Fir Park?

Where is it OK to expect last season’s Champions to turn up, compete, look organised, have a plan, not roll over and have our dicks tickled, and make a game of it? 

I agree

We went up to complete against the whole league not just 2-3 teams

A totally shambles in the first half,shapeless,lacking fitness and basically a training exercise for the sheep

The management better start earning their wages

Great getting players out of the door but quality lacking the other way

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Did you watch the full 90 minutes? 

Seems the 2nd half is being ignored by many, wonder why? 

I'm just leaving the ground, been a disappointing day, game over after 30 minutes, Dons supporters gloating and the usual over reaction on here.

Arbroath here I come. 

FS I wasn't there and I know you see things at the game that maybe you don't see on telly, but I'm really struggling to see what you thought was positive about the second half? Sure we didn't concede three goals again like we did in he first, but we created literally nothing and still could've lost more goals. The only positive is that we didn't. It's often the way with these games where the result is done and dusted early doors, but more often that not it says more about the approach of the team in the lead, rather than any meaningful improvement by the team getting gubbed.

Last week the second half "improvement" was against 10 mean and they still had arguably the better chances.

...couldn’t beat Spartans at home in 90 mins, or Queens Park. We got out of the group though, so it’s all good.

The Spartans game was a weird one.

We fielded a very experimental 11. Cook and Kellerman and that sub goalie who’s name I can’t remember started for goodness sake. Once we got the first team on we came back from 2-0 down to 2-2 we should have won in the end.

Queen’s Park was awful. Just one of those nights I guess. But then again we were excellent against Dumbarton a few days later. Funny old game.

Most importantly we’ve had good performances and results against Dundee and Kilmarnock. It’s games against teams like that which will define our season.

There seems to be a weird urge to forget those games and focus on what happened at Ibrox and Pittodrie though.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

I've been sitting in a terrace bar in Crete drinking G&Ts - did I miss anything?:whistle

Aretha Franklin kakked it.

Sevco fans battled with Slovenian polis.

Runrig chucked it at Stirling.

Celtic chucked it at AEK Athens.

St Mirren chucked it at Pittodrie.

Villa fans love McGinn.

Mike Ashley plans to sell six pairs of sports socks for four quid in his big new Buchanan Street shop.

...that’s you up to speed.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

FS I wasn't there and I know you see things at the game that maybe you don't see on telly, but I'm really struggling to see what you thought was positive about the second half? Sure we didn't concede three goals again like we did in he first, but we created literally nothing and still could've lost more goals. The only positive is that we didn't. It's often the way with these games where the result is done and dusted early doors, but more often that not it says more about the approach of the team in the lead, rather than any meaningful improvement by the team getting gubbed.

Last week the second half "improvement" was against 10 mean and they still had arguably the better chances.

It says something, albeit too little too late, that we steadied the ship in the 2nd half.

It's easy to say they took the foot off the peddle, all subjective.

We played better, not great but better, in the 2nd half. 

The issue about 10 men is pish poor IMO, plenty teams struggle to get the better of teams with 10 men, Aston Villa did the very same thing today. 

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The Spartans game was a weird one.

We fielded a very experimental 11. Cook and Kellerman and that sub goalie who’s name I can’t remember started for goodness sake. Once we got the first team on we came back from 2-0 down to 2-2 we should have won in the end.

Queen’s Park was awful. Just one of those nights I guess. But then again we were excellent against Dumbarton a few days later. Funny old game.

We’ve had good performances and results against Dundee and Kilmarnock. It’s games against teams like that which will define our season.

There seems to be a weird urge to forget those games and focus on what happened at Ibrox and Pittodrie though.

I thought today we were particularly poor, i don't expect miracles but i expect a team that will compete at the very least.

I thought today we were particularly poor, i don't expect miracles but i expect a team that will compete at the very least.

We got blown away in the championship last year by Morton,Livy, and Dunfermline in games despite going on to win the league comfortably.

Yes we were bloody awful today but their will be a lot more of them this year even if we go onto have a decent season or not only time will tell.

Let’s see how we do next week and who else we get in to strengthen the team before we write Stubbs and the players off.

Watched most of that omnishables on YaTube and frankly that was embarrassing. Ever so glad that I didn’t decide to go, for a nano second mid week I thought about it, then saw sense. Hats off to the hard core support that did pay the money and spend the time to go.

I like many did not expect us to win, but did expect a bit of organisation and at least compete/make it hard for them, alas we were as weak as piss, disorganised and chasing shadows. Should have doubled up on GMS.

Onwards to our real mini league on Sat versus Livvy. Looking already like us,them, Hamilton and Dundee for the basement battle...no surprises there. We need to get better quality in fast, use the McGinn money in part.

1 minute ago, buddies1877 said:

We got blown away in the championship last year by Morton,Livy, and Dunfermline in games despite going on to win the league comfortably.

Yes we were bloody awful today but their will be a lot more of them this year even if we go onto have a decent season or not only time will tell.

Let’s see how we do next week and who else we get in to strengthen the team before we write Stubbs and the players off.

That's my thoughts... I hope we're praising more often than not in the next few weeks.

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It says something, albeit too little too late, that we steadied the ship in the 2nd half.

It's easy to say they took the foot off the peddle, all subjective.

We played better, not great but better, in the 2nd half. 

The issue about 10 men is pish poor IMO, plenty teams struggle to get the better of teams with 10 men, Aston Villa did the very same thing today. 

I would definitely agree that very often teams struggle to break down 10 men. I’m not sure they often struggle against 10 men. 

My point was more that we stopped getting gubbed when the went down to 10.

Those who were at the match or watched it on TV know we were thoroughly outplayed by a very pacy and on form Aberdeen Team who have played together for some time and are currently the second best team in Scotland ... Some 11 places above where we finished last season. 

Positives. I thought we looked more solid and passed better out of defence when we brought on the new guy. Also enabled Coulson to make a couple of forward runs .

Edited by St.Ricky

Just now, faraway saint said:

Don't misunderstand me, I rarely criticise any player, and, yes Samson made a few saves in todays game, just pointing out it wasn't ONLY the manager to blame today if blame is needed. :wink:

Fair enough. You could find fault in quite a few of the performances today tbh. 

No point in the knee-jerk reaction after an away game at Pittodrie.