Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

St.Ricky

I'm not surprised at losing the last two matches, but the manner of defeat has been poor. Both games over with less than half an hour gone, we should at least be trying to be competitive against these sides.

Looks like we could have some very bad days this season. Likewise, results against Killie, Dundee and Dumbarton were positive. Hard to see where this is going to go, although I'm not too optimistic right now. Let's see how the Livi game goes next week.

On the plus side, our pumping was to Scotland's second force at their home ground. Dundee FC 0-3 Ayr United though... :lol: 

The issue for me, more last week than today because of our numerical advantage, is not creating chances and scoring goals!
you can scrape by without the best defence, but only goals win games, and gain more draws..! We need a prolific striker, we lost thrity odd  goals with Morgan & Reilly going.

Reilly wasn’t prolific in the Championship so I doubt he’d be prolific in the Premier

20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The issue for me, more last week than today because of our numerical advantage, is not creating chances and scoring goals!

you can scrape by without the best defence, but only goals win games, and gain more draws..! We need a prolific striker, we lost thrity odd  goals with Morgan & Reilly going.

Every team outside the top 3 or 4 in Scotland would suffer from losing a player like Morgan, not only for his goals but as an "out" for the defence and his pace as well as dead ball skills. Reilly did well in the early part of his spell with us . You are right though,  that we need someone with pace, someone with dead ball skills and an eye for goal. Even if they are around, they are in demand and consequently both difficult and expensive to recruit. I will keep the faith for now.

I'd say our biggest need at the moment is someone that can provide a cutting-edge. We badly miss someone that can create something out of nothing i.e. Morgan /Mallan type. We seem to be getting to the final 3rd playing some decent stuff but then it seems to break down all too often. The sooner we get some natural width to the team the better. 

Elvis is totally correct.

It was a laughable performance by our Team. No point getting upset over and over again and ruin Saturday night.

Usual suspects abusing and bullying their way through this Thread on an easy target.

Supporters can react to a result any way they want without abusers like DQ and others giving them a hard time.

Let's hope for massive improvement against Livy next week.

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Last season we were unlucky to go in at half time 2 goals down - today we could have been 4 or 5 goals behind at halftime.

I agree in a sense but the similarities were there gifts of goals, and a steadier 2nd half. 

We also could have lost another goal or two last season in the first half but didn't. 

3 points against Livi would be most welcome - but this is nothing like a  done deal.

Like last year they are hard to beat and defensively tight - Guys Like Halkett are dangerous at set pieces etc.

We need to begin the game tight and on it from the kick off... and if possible not fall behind. Build confidence and get the fans singing...

IF we manage to poke our noses in front, we will get a 2nd while they chase the game - hope Miller is not fit after going off today...

Also hope we bring in 2 - 6 more players who are better than what we have at the moment.  FB (or 2), CF (prolific), Winger (Fast and skilful), 2 goal scoring midfielders - but let's see...

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Never known a person to be so doom and gloom trying to understand what you get out of it mate ?  I will be at next week's game where I expect a home win. This season is a project hopefully progression as long as we stay in the league job done and build on it.  The Celtic lad will hopefully be in by the end of the month and hopefully the lad from ICT. We will find our feet. 

... and Heaton might turn out to be a multi-million pound player too.

2 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Did you read all my posts?

Is saying we should be 4-0 down in the first 5 mins positive?

We were dreadful today didn’t compete at all.

But my replies your reading are prob ones aimed at people calling for the likes of eckersley and Liam smith as if they would be our saviours.

We need quality in the squad and imo not an injury prone player and another defender good at going forward but suspect at the back.

I’m certainly not overreacting like a lot of people and maybe I’m guilty of being a bit patient willing to see what Stubbs assembles when his recruitment is complete before I start buying nappies.

Is it really controversial to suggest that Adam Eckersley is a better option defensively against the better sides than Coulson? That hardly amounts to saying Eckersley is our saviour. Coulson has looked ropey defensively in most games and I am sure he'll be targetted now as a weak link defensively by many other premiership teams. 

We also seem to be relying on Stubbs recruiting ready-made starting XI players who can change our fortunes at the same time as expecting him to continue his policy of ignoring players with experience of the league we are on and taking punts of loan signings from youth academies down south who will go back to their parent clubs in January or May 2019.

26 minutes ago, shull said:

Elvis is totally correct.

It was a laughable performance by our Team. No point getting upset over and over again and ruin Saturday night.

Usual suspects abusing and bullying their way through this Thread on an easy target.

Supporters can react to a result any way they want without abusers like DQ and others giving them a hard time.

Let's hope for massive improvement against Livy next week.

Livvy game will be very interesting. They are a better side than last season and I don't think we are.

Is it really controversial to suggest that Adam Eckersley is a better option defensively against the better sides than Coulson? That hardly amounts to saying Eckersley is our saviour. Coulson has looked ropey defensively in most games and I am sure he'll be targetted now as a weak link defensively by many other premiership teams. 
We also seem to be relying on Stubbs recruiting ready-made starting XI players who can change our fortunes at the same time as expecting him to continue his policy of ignoring players with experience of the league we are on and taking punts of loan signings from youth academies down south who will go back to their parent clubs in January or May 2019.

Who is he ignoring with experience in the Scottish Premiership?

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

He seems concerned that some players are not taking responsibility .

Hmmm , is that right Alan ? Responsibility ? Got a mirror at home ?

I think AS is absolutely right.  He, as a manager, can't kick the ball for them.  They must accept responsibility for the way they played.

I think he’s spot on for me cammy spat the dummy early in that game because he had to do a job for the team on the right which is a position it seems he doesn’t like.

Also very poor performances from the rest of the midfield needed to do more to help the defence it was just constant pressure and they didn’t keep the ball well at all.

It is now upto Stubbs though now to get players in that can fill they roles and for me cammy can’t complain if he needs to take a place on the bench when we aren’t playing his preferred formation when he is behind the striker

So our saviours are players that dont play for us, and guys too injured to even train..? Ffs get a grip buds..!

yes we arent playing as a unit in every game, it takes time, patience and an addition of quality in the important areas. If Stubbzo has learned something from a league cup game that helps us in league games then perhaps we can get a positive out of it? 

We have shown we can compete, we have shown frailties, what we need to show is the consistency to get results in most games. That is going to take a wee bit more time. Remember Ross got damn near half a season and a big budget to build a competitive side in a lower league, coming from a much lower base. This is the big league, grown ups, internationals etc... we need a focus... like a Thommo to spearhead the side. Yes a Shankland, or if there's A.N. other out there we can afford who is as, or more effective then sign him!

that focus will help others play themselves into form. We need to make a statement, not another feckin loanee, but a bought and paid for new star..!

9 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I think AS is absolutely right.  He, as a manager, can't kick the ball for them.  They must accept responsibility for the way they played.

Indeed.

However, Stubbs has to accept a huge amount of responsibility too.

I've been pretty tolerant of the Stubbs regime so far as I believe that I can see what he's trying to do. As I've stated elsewhere, even though he has my support, I had and still have my concerns.

Undoubtedly,we should have coped better with Aberdeen, albeit I expected a defeat.

Next week is a huge game. Win and we get another three points on board, and we go to the green bigot dome with some confidence. We also get most fans onside too.

If we lose?

Well, I don't think I need to paint the picture for you.

14 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

I think he’s spot on for me cammy spat the dummy early in that game because he had to do a job for the team on the right which is a position it seems he doesn’t like.

Also very poor performances from the rest of the midfield needed to do more to help the defence it was just constant pressure and they didn’t keep the ball well at all.

It is now upto Stubbs though now to get players in that can fill they roles and for me cammy can’t complain if he needs to take a place on the bench when we aren’t playing his preferred formation when he is behind the striker

He never did that under Jack Ross when asked to play there on occassions ?