Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

St.Ricky

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

No I didn’t see the game. Certainly not surprised we got gubbed though. Wasn’t surprised when it happened last year and won’t be surprised when it happens again.

We’ve lost two out of our six competitive games, at Ibrox and Pittodrie.

We’ve had two games against teams of a similar level to us. Kilmarnock and Dundee, we won one and drew one.

Got out the league cup group stage for the first time ever. It’s been a good start.

I certainly won’t be pressing the panic button after losses at grounds where we almost always lose. Will you be?

As usual you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

We had only lost 1 of our last ten at Pittodrie! If you are going to treat it like a game of Football Manager at least get the result correct to have some sort of idea of what you are talking about!

St Mirren should be able to compete with any team in the country over 90 minutes. Stubbs has us getting pushed around like a team of schoolkids!

We had only lost 1 of our last ten at Pittodrie! If you are going to treat it like a game of Football Manager at least get the result correct to have some sort of idea of what you are talking about!

St Mirren should be able to compete with any team in the country over 90 minutes. Stubbs has us getting pushed around like a team of schoolkids!

Our last 3 results at pittodrie

4-0

4-1

3-0

Had only lost 1 of our last 10 at Pittodrie? Eh?
We’re in the land of alternative facts now. Our last 5 results at Pittodrie:

4-0 (today)
4-1 22/1/18
3-0 21/2/15
2-2 30/9/14 - good result from TC’s side, Callum Ball scored!
2-0 14/12/13

So yeah, lost 4 drawn 1 of our last 5. Don’t know what source you’re using but it isn’t the right one fella.

The reason we have such a poor record at Pittodrie is simple: Aberdeen are a much bigger club than us with a lot more fans and a lot more money.

No need to get so upset about it.

3 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Who is he ignoring with experience in the Scottish Premiership?

Livi's signing policy has been to pick up some of the better out of contract Championship players - given we have a bigger budget from prizemoney, and greater season ticket sales and gate receipts, surely picking up some out of contract premiership players (like Jack Ross did with Paul McGinn) should have been an option for some of our transfer dealings as well as signing players with potential and bringing in a few loans.

Stubbs signings so far:

Danny Rogers (loan) - Aberdeen fans 'rate him highly' but he hasn't inspired confidence when he has played. Samson looks a better option for No.1.

Hayden Coulson (loan) - had a great game against Killie, and has been one of the better Stubbs signings but defensively frail especially against better opposition.

Cole Kpekawa (2 year deal) - outside of the Killie game has looked poorer than what we had last season... doesn't look all that fit or interested.

Josh Heaton (3 year deal, £75k) - yet to feature against anyone in our league. 1 promising outing for the reserves.

Alfie Jones (loan) - too early to say but could be a promising addition

Matty Willock (loan) - still doesn't look match fit yet a few weeks after joining the squad and going straight into the starting XI for every game since.

Jeff King (2 year deal) - too early to say but lack of game time so far and appearances to date do not suggest we have come near to replacing Hippolyte never mind Morgan.

Cody Cooke (2 year deal) - too early to say but lack of game time so far suggests that even with few striking options available Stubbs rates him behind Mullen (and Ross Stewart).

Nicholai Brock-Madsen (loan) - too early to say.

I don't buy into the Stubbs-inherited-a-mess-of-a-squad argument. Had he shown some confidence in the core of last year's squad and added 5 or 6 players of premiership standard I would have been confident we would stay up and do alright. Jack Ross had already done a lot of the decision-making about players not worth retaining for a season in the premiership. His first batch of signings (when we had the widest selection of players to bid for) all look to be probably gash, with the exception of Coulson. Stubbs has made 9 signings so far and Rogers our back up goalie is the only player signed from another Scottish club. Are Kpekawa & Heaton looking like improvements on Harry Davis & Gary MacKenzie, or after 8 games is Coulson looking better than Eckersley or Stelios? It's very much beginning to look like the Tommy Craig transfer window again... Stubbs has said to 4 of our contracted players they were surplus to requirements and been happy to offload Hippolyte, Stewart (striker), and Kellerman and post-match interviews have the air of the end of the Alex Rae era - the players making mistakes and not taking responsibility and quality signings needed to strengthen the squad. Stubbs has been given the go ahead to sign 9 players and wants to sign another 3 or 4 more but out of his 9 signings so far who is consistently doing the business week in week out?

Livi's signing policy has been to pick up some of the better out of contract Championship players - given we have a bigger budget from prizemoney, and greater season ticket sales and gate receipts, surely picking up some out of contract premiership players (like Jack Ross did with Paul McGinn) should have been an option for some of our transfer dealings as well as signing players with potential and bringing in a few loans.
Stubbs signings so far:
Danny Rogers (loan) - Aberdeen fans 'rate him highly' but he hasn't inspired confidence when he has played. Samson looks a better option for No.1.
Hayden Coulson (loan) - had a great game against Killie, and has been one of the better Stubbs signings but defensively frail especially against better opposition.
Cole Kpekawa (2 year deal) - outside of the Killie game has looked poorer than what we had last season... doesn't look all that fit or interested.
Josh Heaton (3 year deal, £75k) - yet to feature against anyone in our league. 1 promising outing for the reserves.
Matty Willock (loan) - still doesn't look match fit yet a few weeks after joining the squad and going straight into the starting XI for every game since.
Jeff King (2 year deal) - too early to say but lack of game time so far and appearances to date do not suggest we have come near to replacing Hippolyte never mind Morgan.
Cody Cooke (2 year deal) - too early to say but lack of game time so far suggests that even with few striking options available Stubbs rates him behind Mullen (and Ross Stewart).
I don't buy into the Stubbs-inherited-a-mess-of-a-squad argument. Had he shown some confidence in the core of last year's squad and added 5 or 6 players of premiership standard I would have been confident we would stay up and do alright. Jack Ross had already done a lot of the decision-making about players not worth retaining for a season in the premiership. His first batch of signings (when we had the widest selection of players to bid for) all look to be probably gash, with the exception of Coulson. Stubbs has made 9 signings so far and Rogers our back up goalie is the only player signed from another Scottish club. Are Kpekawa & Heaton looking like improvements on Harry Davis & Gary MacKenzie, or after 8 games is Coulson looking better than Eckersley or Stelios? It's very much beginning to look like the Tommy Craig transfer window again... Stubbs has said to 4 of our contracted players they were surplus to requirements and been happy to offload Hippolyte, Stewart (striker), and Kellerman and post-match interviews have the air of the end of the Alex Rae era - the players making mistakes and not taking responsibility and quality signings needed to strengthen the squad. Stubbs has been given the go ahead to sign 9 players and wants to sign another 3 or 4 more but out of his 9 signings so far who is consistently doing the business week in week out?

Judge Stubbs window on the 1st of September.

Stubbs signings so far:

Was that an answer to my question?

I don’t have any issue with Stubbs having a cull of those deemed not good enough. I’m not going to get misty eyed about guys like MacKenzie, Eck and Ross Stewart (and perhaps Reilly) because I don’t think it’s an unreasonable judgement that these guys wouldn’t be good enough for the top flight.  

Where I do have a problem is if the players he recruits in to replace all of those guys aren’t good enough. That’s certainly looking the case with his choice of 2x CB, 1x LB and King & Cooke. 

He’s put his neck on the line. Time to finalise his squad and make it work. 

18 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Had only lost 1 of our last 10 at Pittodrie? Eh?
We’re in the land of alternative facts now. Our last 5 results at Pittodrie:

4-0 (today)
4-1 22/1/18
3-0 21/2/15
2-2 30/9/14 - good result from TC’s side, Callum Ball scored!
2-0 14/12/13

So yeah, lost 4 drawn 1 of our last 5. Don’t know what source you’re using but it isn’t the right one fella.

The reason we have such a poor record at Pittodrie is simple: Aberdeen are a much bigger club than us with a lot more fans and a lot more money.

No need to get so upset about it.

I made the stat up, exactly as you made up your claim we always lose at Pittodrie and indeed against Aberdeen.  Hope now you have done a bit of research you can see what utter pish you are talking.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2475&team2_id=27&teamTabs=h2h

Just back from the game, that was painful. 

4-0 going on 10-0. Seriously, if it was 10 it would have been merited. 

The shape was difficult to work out at times and what I couldn’t grasp is why Willock was frequently in a more advanced position than Cammy Smith. This was baffling and it wasn’t just when we had the ball but when we were on the back foot. 

What does Stubbs think will be positive about this? I’ve no idea. 

We need a few signings to get balance right. If Eck isn’t going to feature we really need a left back. 

Looks like he’s trying to accommodate what you would think are our best players but unfortunately they can’t all fit into this line up. If we’re going with a big target man then it’s Cammy or Mullen playing just off him. Don’t waste one out wide. Playing wide players out wide and someone needs to fight for their place IMO. 

The defence ! I’m not going to go there or I’ll miss the boxing. 

We need to improve quickly. 

Time for a beer. 

Edited by davidg

I made the stat up, exactly as you made up your claim we always lose at Pittodrie and indeed against Aberdeen.  Hope now you have done a bit of research you can see what utter pish you are talking.http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2475&team2_id=27&teamTabs=h2h  

When did i say we always lose at Pittodrie?

Made that up aswell or...?

ETA of course had this been a home game it would be a completely different story. We shouldn’t be getting humped in Paisley by anyone.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I don’t know what a marquee signing is, can you enlighten me?

Who was our last marquee signing?

I'm sure you're well aware the phrase "marquee signing" was from Stubbs' own post-match interview following the Kilmarnock game where he spoke about aiming for the top 6 and not coming up to just make up the numbers. 

The signing Stubbs was raving about was Coulson and he was torn apart today. So how are the other signings going to fare? Heaton was given the runaround by an amateur at Queens Park so he is not going to be the new defensive Messiah anytime soon. And Cammy is one of our very few good players yet is played where he is largely ineffective. I want to give all the players a chance but they are young and need help and we quickly need to sign some players that have been around a bit and not rookies. And Stubbs needs to play players to their strengths and not just fill a jersey.

I'm sure you're well aware the phrase "marquee signing" was from Stubbs' own post-match interview following the Kilmarnock game where he spoke about aiming for the top 6 and not coming up to just make up the numbers. 

I couldn’t tell you the last time I listened to a managerial interview. Would rather listen to... paint dry?

No problem with aiming for top 6. That’s always been our aim in this league since the split was brought in hasn’t it? Never done it though. Maybe do it this year, probably won’t. And that’s okay.

Stubbs, Scott and the rest of us are well aware that 10th would be a success.

Just back from a great day out in Aberdeen, well until the football started. Had my breakfast (beef, chilli and dark chocolate links from Ramsey’s of Carluke) got the Chivas travel club bus ( great bunch of guys and girls) stopped off for 2 hours in Stonehaven, lovely beer in the Marine hotel ( 6 degrees north) ....I digress 

Main points

stmirren were under the cosh from the start, could have been 3 nil down within 10 mins.

looked well of Aberdeen pace.

3rd goal was goalie error 

4th goal pen was Coulson tackle (soft) 

QPR CB replaced after 5 mins of second half (not injured) 

2nd half we were slightly less fragile looking than the first half.

Questions raised from today’s game:

Do we have too many loanees who have nothing really to prove?

Are Rangers and Aberdeen away the games we should base our forcast on our form for the season ahead or should it be the games against Livi, Hamilton, Motherwell etc ? 

I am away to bed, got 10k to run tomorrow morning 

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Those who were at the match or watched it on TV know we were thoroughly outplayed by a very pacy and on form Aberdeen Team who have played together for some time and are currently the second best team in Scotland ... Some 11 places above where we finished last season. 

Positives. I thought we looked more solid and passed better out of defence when we brought on the new guy. Also enabled Coulson to make a couple of forward runs .

Positives? :lol: