Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

St.Ricky

What an absolute apology for a post match interview.Only one player got pass marks according to him Paul McGinn.Didnt mentioned that it is his tactics his shape his signings who so far are mostly out their depth.I just don’t know how he is going to turn this shambles around.I certainly hope he does but clearly he doesn’t look interested in signing any Scottish talent but is insistent in going down the loan market from down south.Two months wasted in recruitment since he got the job.

3 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

What an absolute apology for a post match interview.Only one player got pass marks according to him Paul McGinn.Didnt mentioned that it is his tactics his shape his signings who so far are mostly out their depth.I just don’t know how he is going to turn this shambles around.I certainly hope he does but clearly he doesn’t look interested in signing any Scottish talent but is insistent in going down the loan market from down south.Two months wasted in recruitment since he got the job.

Is there a benefit that Scottish players will be better?  :huh:

Surely the key point is a players ability? 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

All I would say is if the fans start turning on the team we will go down make no mistake about that. We need to stick together fans and team. Fans start shouting abuse will be a downward serial of no return. 

Too many changes have been made personally I would have liked more players kept from last season with additions. It is what it is lets stick together if not it's doom and gloom .

Success  this season is staying in the league then building on that.

Roxy Music - Lets stick together amen 

Are the fans shouting abuse at the team during the games or just saying on an online forum that Stubbs doesn't appear to have spent his transfer budget well so far?

If we go down I don't think many pundits analysing our swift return to the Championship  will ascribe our demise to what our fans said or sang in comparison to who we signed, how we set ourselves up, how we did in head to head games against rivals, whether or defence was any good, or whether we had a problem scoring goals.

PS for the avoidance of doubt, I'd far rather be posting in the Alan Stubbs Appreciation Thread congratulating him and the team on a decent performance and commenting on his eye for signing good players within our budget.

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Are the fans shouting abuse at the team during the games or just saying on an online forum that Stubbs doesn't appear to have spent his transfer budget well so far?

If we go down I don't think many pundits analysing our swift return to the Championship  will ascribe our demise to what our fans said or sang in comparison to who we signed, how we set ourselves up, how we did in head to head games against rivals, whether or defence was any good, or whether we had a problem scoring goals.

PS for the avoidance of doubt, I'd far rather be posting in the Alan Stubbs Appreciation Thread congratulating him and the team on a decent performance and commenting on his eye for signing good players within our budget.

I couldn't really say from Aberdeen hospitality at the game. :rolleyes:

You'll get a better idea next week, result depending, I would suggest, disregarding the usual moaning faced cnuts. :wink:

A Dons supporter on Twitter was very complimentary about the Saints support (well, those who stuck around at any rate), who were behind the team and singing throughout, despite the pumping.

To be honest, I think a fair few see the away days as just that, a wee day oot. A bevvy with some mates and a sing-song at the fitba. For all that, we have to appreciate the effort and expense they put in. They will get fewer rewards for those efforts this season, though.

The trick for us, as supporters, this season, will be how we take the knocks. The inevitable setbacks that come in the form of comprehensive doings like yesterday.

Everything about the club feels so much different now to the last 20 months or so.  I'm even reading some dressing room unrest chat already. I think it is down to Stubbs to pull a rabbit or two out the hat sooner rather than later.

It is going to take a lot more than a hardcore of lads and lassies with a drum, some banners, and a few songs, to get us through this season.

Edited by Drew

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's actually amusing to watch the meltdown tonight.

We lost a football game. You'd have thought a natural disaster had hit Paisley.

Some of the shrieking is incredible.

It wasn't the fact we lost a football match I don't think there were many who thought we would win or even draw it was the manner of which we lost we are shockingly bad right now and I personally dont see that changing any time soon. 

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Is there a benefit that Scottish players will be better?  :huh:

Surely the key point is a players ability? 

Disagree

For our league attitude and application come into it as well

Stubbs was questioning his players about those

He mentioned Samson who made an error but went on to keep the score down

Looking at the squad at the moment not many up for a fight

First goal very important so far

Just now, windae cleaner said:

Disagree

For our league attitude and application come into it as well

Stubbs was questioning his players about those

He mentioned Samson who made an error but went on to keep the score down

Looking at the squad at the moment not many up for a fight

First goal very important so far

Yeah, attitude etc but does that need to be Scottish players?

I agree about fighting qualities, said that yesterday we don't seem to have a Goodwin type who can battle and the players can look to for some inspiration.

First goal is generally important, especially against the bigger teams and we've lost, sorry, gifted, goals early in the last 2 games.

Yesterday was always going to be a huge ask. I allowed myself to dream in the run up, but defeat was always the most likely outcome.

It was a similar hammering to the one dished out in January in the Scottish Cup (ok we didn't score this time) so our relative position against the best teams in Scotland remains roughly consistent - that can only be changed over the long term by structural evolution.

How we do against the bottom six should define success/failure for our season.

I started reading this thread from the beginning again and was surprised at the number of fans who thought we would win the game before a ball was kicked. I wanted us to win but thought there was next to no chance but what I did want was a decent display and some semblance of improvement to give encouragement for the hard season in front of us. However we were all disappointed. Positives are maybe Jones however by that time Aberdeen had decided enough was enough and Paul McGinn. Paul is interesting as many thought he wasn't good enough but his display shows how important it is to have some experienced Premiership players in the team that work hard and don't get shoved off the ball easily. His work rate, physical strength and attitude is to his credit even if he isn't the greatest full back on the planet. We need a couple more like him.

10 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

In fairness mate, I think it’s maybe a trifle unrealistic to think he’s going to say in a post match interview “Yes Jimbo, I can put my finger on the exact reasons we lost that one today. It’s because I’m shite and all the players I’ve signed are shite too”.

Although it is early days it looks like Stubbs philosophy of bringing in players from the lower English leagues has backfired on us somewhat. Cole and Heaton don’t appear to be the answer to our defensive woes and Cooke and King aren’t getting game time either. Positive is that Alfie Jones appeared to bring some semblance of order when he came on but Aberdeen had the cigars out by that point. Think most fans get the fact that we are not going to beat likes of Aberdeen in our first season back but we should be able to put up a better effort than yesterday or indeed what we witnessed against Rangers. Let’s be honest here yesterday could have been 6 or 7 quite easily and for me we also got off lightly against Sevco as had they kept 11 men on the park that looked like another doing was on the cards.

Realise that Stubbs is still trying to establish his best 11 but as it stands right now we are a far weaker side than the one that finished last season in the championship. We need to spend some of that Mcginn money wisely to get us up to speed and to a level that allows us to at least compete. 

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Yesterday was always going to be a huge ask. I allowed myself to dream in the run up, but defeat was ga ys the most likely outcome.

It was a similar hammering to the one dished out in January in the Scottish Cup (ok we didn't score this time) so our relative position against the best teams in Scotland remains roughly consistent - that can only be changed over the long term by structural evolution.

How we do against the bottom six should define success/failure for our season.

Yesterday was nothing like the January game, we at least made a fight of it up until half time then. We look as though we are going backwards not forward.

Next week is a huge game for Stubbs even though it's early in the season.

Let’s see how we do next week and who else we get in to strengthen the team before we write Stubbs and the players off.

I believe I can criticise the performances of the manager and the players without “writing them off”.

In fact it would be almost impossible to write off many of the players Stubbs has brought in as they’ve hardly featured.

Most of our games this season have been disappointing. That’s not an overreaction, it’s just an opinion based on the lack of defensive capability, pace, creativity and striking prowess that have been evident.

Hopefully, the flashes against Killie, Dumbarton and Dundee are indicators of what we are in store for but it’s not much of a leap to think that might not be the case.

BTW, my earlier comment about Aberdeen struggling early in the season was based on their shitfest of a performance v Rangers 10 men for 80 mins and the awful follow up v Dundee where they need a pen to put them away. My Aberdeen supporting mate felt both performances were really poor and that they were struggling to find a bit of form.

Seems they just needed the right opponent.[emoji849]

The morning after the match before. Still in Aberdeen getting ready to head home.

Post match analysis. Feck you lot have taken care of that.

Quote of the weekend was yesterday in the Pittodrie Bar when an Aberdeen fan announced. "It's nice to see someone from Paisley who supports St Mirren".

It's not all ways easy and as we know there are highs and lows.

Yesterday was definitely a low but next week....

Well ..... We can only hope

Alfie Jones looked decent....

We're on our way...

Just over a year ago we got thrashed 5-0 by Patrick.

Look where both clubs are now

Thistle gave the Champions a much tougher test yesterday and were ultimately undone by a team littered with internationals and multi-million pound players.

We got f**king hosed by Gary McKay-Steven, Stevie May and a team that ended up with 6 (I think) under 21’s in the line up.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's actually amusing to watch the meltdown tonight.

We lost a football game. You'd have thought a natural disaster had hit Paisley.

Some of the shrieking is incredible.

Is "shrieking" the new word you looked up in the dictionary recently without actually reading the meaning, as you seem keen to use it at every turn?

People on here have a legitimate concern as to the fate of our team in the aftermath of two lacklustre, inept performances.

They are not "shrieking".  Or at least I would imagine they are not  screeching at the top of their voices while typing. They are making their concerns public. Just because you couldn't give a feck doesn't mean everyone who does is caterwauling.

Edited by stlucifer

Thistle gave the Champions a much tougher test yesterday and were ultimately undone by a team littered with internationals and multi-million pound players.

We got f**king hosed by Gary McKay-Steven, Stevie May and a team that ended up with 6 (I think) under 21’s in the line up.

My point was that we went on to have a decent season after that result while they didn’t.

1 hour ago, Jack the lad said:

Yesterday was nothing like the January game, we at least made a fight of it up until half time then. We look as though we are going backwards not forward.

Next week is a huge game for Stubbs even though it's early in the season.

I remember the game in January being a convincing win for Aberdeen as well. Maybe yesterday's was a more convincing win - thats not really my point.

My point is that convincing defeats against the top teams in the division are not what we should be marking ourselves against just now - it's the results against the teams we will be fighting against in order to stay up.

We should be turning our attention to the 'big' team results once we have established ourselves back in the top league and we have a squad and infrastructure in place to snatch points from them.

Still early days in the Stubbs regime - I think we need to wait to see if we are moving forward or backward - but its all about opinions