Saints Fan Wants Compensation

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is there a disclaimer on match tickets warning of risk of injury from stray balls? If not, he could be entitled?

imagine also if it had knocked him over and hit his head on a step or chair..? People calling him for simply saying you dont expect to go to a venue and return injured and have damaged property because the focus of the event smashed you in the chops!

club should have compo'd him straight away and nipped it in the bud, because the next time it happens it will get greater public attention and it will be for real money.

think about it... the cost of bad PR value to the club for something that might happen twice a season? Versus £279 and a sorry!

Oh come on FFS. It is absolutely unreasonable to expect sporting venues to list every single risk you could face entering the arena.

It is also reasonable to expect a visitor to expect risks of this sort.

There is no negligence.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Do you genuinely believe clubs will forget Hillsborough and enclose fans behind any sort of fence or netting to avoid the risk of having to pay some doddery old f**ker £300 for a new pair of glasses?

Agreed, but you have forgotten THAT, between believe and clubs... here to help bud :P

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh come on FFS. It is absolutely unreasonable to expect sporting venues to list every single risk you could face entering the arena.

It is also reasonable to expect a visitor to expect risks of this sort.

There is no negligence.

Actually Risk Assessments are there for venue operators/owners to do just exactly that "List every single risk" then... and this is the crux of the matter... take reasonable precations to eliminate/reduce the risk!

so how have the club eliminated or reduced the risk? I can't see any visible way that they have? No practice safety nets (used widely) for the warm up, no shooting into empty corners, and as far as I know no tannoy announcement/sign advising of the heightened risk before kick off, and perhaps at half time.

i think perhaps people are looking at this as 'hey... we're st mirren fans, it was an accident, get over it, dont claim against the club you say you support'..?

but is it any different to getting a hot drink spilled over you by the kiosk staff, getting hit by a swinging/falling item in the stadium, slipping on icy surface in the stadium, seat collapsing injuring you..? No, is the short answer, but because its football, and its a football he's been hit with, in a football stadium then thats ok.... 

if you follow that logic then being hit by a bike at the speedway, a Ferrari at the F1, or a Rugby player coming over the barrier and landing on you breaking several bones should be treated the same?

in this case all the club had to do was fix his specs.... jeez is that such a biggie?

lets look after our own, not pillory them because they got hurt and suffered through no fault of their own.

I know of this guy who was spiked by a corner flag on  a training pitch when one of his team"mates" decided to pretend it was a javelin. Question is, would his compensation from the club concerned be 33% of £2 million or 33% of £3 million?

Leaving to one side whether he was right or wrong to pursue this, I find it very disheartening how many on here and on twitter have been quick to run a fellow Saints fan into the ground. Poor guy doesn’t deserve that. So much for sticking up for your own.

He was hit with a football not a bus.

Then to go to the extend he has to try get his moneys worth from the club.

Free season ticket was more than generous.

If you are going to sit behind the goals while players are practicing shots and not look to see if the ball maybe heading for your coupon then it’s your own fault.

Zero sympathy from me

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Do you genuinely believe clubs will forget Hillsborough and enclose fans behind any sort of fence or netting to avoid the risk of having to pay some doddery old f**ker £300 for a new pair of glasses?

First off I said (IF ) lawyers think there is a case they will be onto it. Got that bit. Now if it did go to a change for  public safety a ring fence can be easily  made with huge openings when needed. Will it ? highly unlikely but not out of the question when it comes to HSE. 

As laughable as it is, I do feel the club could have repaired/replace his glasses as a matter of good PR. As for the guy, going to the papers and bitching about it is certainly not going to help him in his argument and he should just have kept talking to the club about it and tried to come to a agreement.

What a crock of shite. I got smacked square in the puss’ by a shot from a Johnstone Burgh player when I was a kid at Keanie Park and we sat on the grass behind the goals. Did my dad contact a lawyer? Sue the Burgh? Phone the Sunday Post? Did he fcuk... he had an old-school cloth hankie in his jacket and he gave me a clean-up and asked if I was OK, then we watched the rest of the game.

Fcuk sake, you auld prick.

43 minutes ago, lovestlegend said:

Leaving to one side whether he was right or wrong to pursue this, I find it very disheartening how many on here and on twitter have been quick to run a fellow Saints fan into the ground. Poor guy doesn’t deserve that. So much for sticking up for your own.

So, did you get your glasses fixed?

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What a crock of shite. I got smacked square in the puss’ by a shot from a Johnstone Burgh player when I was a kid at Keanie Park and we sat on the grass behind the goals. Did my dad contact a lawyer? Sue the Burgh? Phone the Sunday Post? Did he fcuk... he had an old-school cloth hankie in his jacket and he gave me a clean-up and asked if I was OK, then we watched the rest of the game.

That explains a lot :P

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

so how have the club eliminated or reduced the risk? I can't see any visible way that they have? No practice safety nets (used widely) for the warm up, no shooting into empty corners, and as far as I know no tannoy announcement/sign advising of the heightened risk before kick off, and perhaps at half time.

For time and memorial, balls have been flying off the pitch/into the stands from wayward shots and deliberate clearances at football matches.

In our case, since 1877

To date, most folk take reasonable care, even over the park in millions of matches the world over every week, folk take care not to get hit by a stray ball but one fella at a St Mirren match gets hit by a stray ball and it's the clubs responsibility??

By entering the ground, each and every one of us is responsible for making sure we keep an eye for loose balls coming our way & taking appropriate action.

The guy should be embarrassed for even thinking about going to the paper, never mind turning up at the ground, broken specs and St Mirren scarf on for a photo a few months after the incident giving it large about "clashing" with the football club he (and we) support.

54 minutes ago, lovestlegend said:

So much for sticking up for your own.

It is absolutely absurd, that the fella even thought of taking the action he has. Choice of Club, who the majority appear to believe are not responsible or an individual who is giving it poor me.?

That all said,

If GLS reads this thread, perhaps, he'll speak to SMISA about putting the remaining £18.77 from the BTB's 3 monthly spend pots to the SMISA membership for a Supporters Compo Pot.

It'll only take 15 three monthly spends to pay for them specs :ninja

Edited by Graeme Aitken

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

You see it every game at the juniors.

My mate got smacked on the side of the face during the warm up, while on the phone to his bird. His own fault, should have been watching.

At Tannadice last season a warm-up shot whizzed past us and hit a bloke wearing glasses smack in the face. The bloke was carrying coffee and it looked a sore one. Jamie Langfield came over, inquired if he was OK, and indicated he could get the St Mirren trainer over if he was in trouble. The bloke gestured to Langfield that he was OK. After the warm up ended, Langfield ran over and gave the guy his St Mirren training top. Cue a round of applause, and a smiling thumbs-up from the fan with the sore face and coffee-burned hands...

That’s the way these things should be dealt with. It’s unfortunate, it’s a shame, but it’s an accident.

As I said, auld prick. Man up. :D

Edited by pozbaird

He’s running the club down acting like a right twat.

I was just reading that every ticket sold for baseball games since 1913 have had a disclaimer on them for these cases. An easy arse cover. There's been some serious injuries over the years too, although I don't know if anyone's specs have ever been damaged.

“The holder assumes all risk and danger inherent to the game of Baseball, whether occurring prior to, during, or subsequent to, the actual playing of the game, including specifically (but not exclusively) the danger of being injured by thrown bats, fragments thereof, and thrown or batted balls, and agrees that the (name of club) are not liable for injuries resulting from such injuries.”