Big Signing Happening Now....

Lord Pityme

Hmmm....  do we want another young centre half? 

We are missing a leader at the back to play alongside either Baird, Kpekawa, MacKenzie or Heaton. I'd be sceptical that such a young player would fill that void, regardless of how highly rated he is as Southampton u-23 skipper. 

Unless we're planning on playing him defensive mid instead of Willock - who seems to be still building fitness. 

Still... let's see what happens! 

Stubbs seems to be talking about him as a defensive mid first and foremost... 

"He is a young talented lad who is ready for this next step and we are looking forward to seeing him. He’s six foot, he’s good on the ball, he likes to play in that defensive midfield position and he has played centre back, which is an added bonus.

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2086-alfie-joins

7 minutes ago, JJ McG said:
1 hour ago, elvis said:

That will be another non league player then ...await Drews Hilarious response.

Under 23’s captain and on the fringes of the 1st team of a premier league side. 

This boy can play a bit.

so long as he can ply better than Elvis can sing B)

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

English?      Check

Six foot?      Check

Never played first team football?    Check

I am beginning to see a pattern here .....

As far as i am aware its only Coulson who hasnt played first team football in a competitive fixture, but he has played in friendlies, and for

England U16 to U19's 

admittedly the other lads played it in the Pritt Stick Sticky Stuff League.... but it was first team!

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

As far as i am aware its only Coulson who hasnt played first team football in a competitive fixture, but he has played in friendlies, and for

England U16 to U19's 

admittedly the other lads played it in the Pritt Stick Sticky Stuff League.... but it was first team!

Just now, pod said:

Makes  them hungry to succeed.  :wink:  

I would not read too much into my flippant observation (although  Mattie and Alfie also have never played first team football for the Clubs we signed them from). I hope all these guys succeed but would probably feel happier if we were not being used as much as a testing ground and could field a team that has a good mix of potential and experience. But we shall wait and see where they take us. But as I said only a cheeky remark on my behalf.

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I would not read too much into my flippant observation (although  Mattie and Alfie also have never played first team football for the Clubs we signed them from). I hope all these guys succeed but would probably feel happier if we were not being used as much as a testing ground and could field a team that has a good mix of potential and experience. But we shall wait and see where they take us. But as I said only a cheeky remark on my behalf.

Thats the way I read it, hence the jest. I have been impressed with Stubbzo's commitment to bringing 'better' players to the club as i felt if we just played the scottish football merry go round again we would have an Rae-esque squad of ex& loanee OF players. I thought it would take time for the non league guys he brought in to get up to speed with full time, pro football at our breakneck speed up here.

that said i think if we dont see two from Heaton, Cooke, King or Kellerman in the line up this weekend and next then Stubbzo's judgement (Kellerman aside) may be called into question?

he saw Heaton, Cooke & King before signing them, he should know if they will thrive in the pro game. So would hope he's at least confident to get two of them starting now.

49 minutes ago, Sonny said:

English?      Check

Six foot?      Check

Never played first team football?    Check

I am beginning to see a pattern here .....

It is a worry the amount of players we have who have no first team experience. Would love Gary Mac in the team when fit. Eck as well both can play in the top league no problem. 

38 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It is a worry the amount of players we have who have no first team experience. Would love Gary Mac in the team when fit. Eck as well both can play in the top league no problem. 

That's very much open to debate.  

It's a few years since GMcK last played at the top level and he's looked shaky at times for us. He was at his most stable next to Harry Davis and that's the type of steadying character we need. 

Eck hasn't got a top flight pedigree but that's not to say that he wouldn't be better defensively than Coulson. 

19 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

Well I did say.

You just gave an opinion ........................ you need to give it time to see if your negativity proves right or your negativity makes you look a total A hole..... ask the Sack Jack Ross Thread starter how that turned out 

27 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Eck hasn't got a top flight pedigree but that's not to say that he wouldn't be better defensively than Coulson. 

Eck played for 6 years in the top flight of Danish football and 1 year with Hearts. I would reckon that gives him some pedigree.

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Eck played for 6 years in the top flight of Danish football and 1 year with Hearts. I would reckon that gives him some pedigree.

Didn't realise the extent of his time in Danish football which is fair enough. 

His time at Hearts was the season they won the Championship - then he got dumped. 

27 minutes ago, Sonny said:

There’s been some kind of fall out with Eck and Stubbs when he moved from Hearts to Hibs. It’s pretty much a sad situation but it does happen in football, not much we can do other than wish Eck all the best and thank him for the last 2 glorious seasons.

Im sure he’ll get a good club and move on before the window closes.

8 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

There’s been some kind of fall out with Eck and Stubbs when he moved from Hearts to Hibs. It’s pretty much a sad situation but it does happen in football, not much we can do other than wish Eck all the best and thank him for the last 2 glorious seasons.

Im sure he’ll get a good club and move on before the window closes.

I know he's one of the ones that Stubbzo has said he can leave, but fir crying out loud he cant even train because of injury, and that is a constant each season now. He helped when he could, now he's struggling to even be fit. I doubt anyone will pick him up at the moment,  might end up getting a mutual from the club after the window shuts, or just seeing out his contract.