Sign in to follow this  
Lord Pityme

Big Signing Happening Now....

Seems he was playing regularly for Southend until Chris Powell came in, who promptly binned him. Bit like the Harry Davis situation - and on that note, slightly dispiriting seeing him every week on the Football League highlights as Grimsby get gubbed yet again.

27 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Ferdinand would be a terrific signing, 33 is still a decent age and he has a wealth of experience, exactly what we need.

Indeed, I was looking at the list of centre half free agents and noticed his name, before immediately discounting it as I thought he'd be out our league. Would be just the man to help our younger defenders through a game.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ferdinand would be an excellent signing. 

My one and only concern though... Why is a trial required for someone of his proven ability? 

We need him straight away , I'm assuming his match-fitness is what we're looking at !

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

We need him straight away , I'm assuming his match-fitness is what we're looking at !

That and understandable caution perhaps after the criticisms of other signings this season. 

33 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Indeed, I was looking at the list of centre half free agents and noticed his name, before immediately discounting it as I thought he'd be out our league. Would be just the man to help our younger defenders through a game.

Would make a good mentor for Baird and Heaton. 

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

My one and only concern though... Why is a trial required for someone of his proven ability? 

Maybe he's trialling us. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Because he's played his last two seasons in league 1 and is 33, so might not be the same player he was in his West Ham days. 

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Because he's played his last two seasons in league 1 and is 33, so might not be the same player he was in his West Ham days. 

Of course he's not the same player he was at West Ham. If he was, he wouldn't be anywhere near us.

Very true chap. However, in his West Ham days he’d have been up against some of the best teams in Europe, week in week out. Big difference between Liverpool and Livingston.
I think he’d be a brilliant signing.

41 minutes ago, Soctty said:

If he was , we wouldn't be discussing him. 

(should have seen barrhead saint's post first). Similar. :)

Edited by pod

33 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

Of course he's not the same player he was at West Ham. If he was, he wouldn't be anywhere near us.

The question was "Why is a trial required for a player of his proven ability?"

I'm assuming the 'proven ability' in question is the ability he showcased at West Ham, Sunderland and QPR, so the trial is to gauge his ability which as you rightly say will not be what it was.

Which is kinda the implication in my reply... :unsure:

Edited by Soctty

32 minutes ago, Paisley brazilians said:

David "george best" cotterill

I have just watched a wee video of David Rhys George Best Cotterill on the youtube, or as they call it in Ayrshire the ewepipe (boom tish)

Anyway, his highlight reel indicates he has a touch of the Mallan's about him.

Good standard of signing it would appear......it seems English non league is not where it is at