St Mirren v Livingston 25th August 18

St.Ricky

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You answered your own question there.

Rather I single out Jones or Hodson, or Willock, or Magennis? They were all terrible; but they’re young players and they’re learning.

As captain, there is rightly more expected of McGinn than the rest. Leader of the pack and all that. He must at least shoulder some responsibility.

Today he seemed far more interested in high fiving Cammy Smith when he came on than getting a grip of the midfield. Why?

He’s happy enough to take the credit when things are going well. Indeed some bizarrely hold him up as the cause of all that’s went right in the last 18 months.

I just don’t think he’s that good. I don’t think he’s much of a natural leader either. Recent central midfielders we’ve had at this level like McLean, Goodwin, Newton and his brother are all far better players than he is.

If we are going to stay up this year we need a real leader in the middle of the park. There isn’t one in the squad just now. Hope we sign one.

Sorry, but your picking on the wrong man.  I don't think even McLean, Goodwin, Newton or even John McGinn could have inspired that team of misfits today. 

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Rather I single out Jones or Hodson, or Willock, or Magennis? They were all terrible; but they’re young players and they’re learning.

As captain, there is rightly more expected of McGinn than the rest. Leader of the pack and all that. He must at least shoulder some responsibility.

Today he seemed far more interested in high fiving Cammy Smith when he came on than getting a grip of the midfield. Why?

He’s happy enough to take the credit when things are going well. Indeed some bizarrely hold him up as the cause of all that’s went right in the last 18 months.

I just don’t think he’s that good. I don’t think he’s much of a natural leader either. Recent central midfielders we’ve had at this level like McLean, Goodwin, Newton and his brother are all far better players than he is.

If we are going to stay up this year we need a real leader in the middle of the park. There isn’t one in the squad just now. Hope we sign one.

What a bizarre post. I assume you are just trolling now. Either way, you are coming across as a bit of a fanny.

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You've  now lost it. Newton better than McGinn, so what club is Newton currently at? McGinn not a leader? Are you rip van fecking winkle, did you sleep through the last 18 months? 

In fact, talking of which, maybe it's time for bed now. Would be better for the rest of us. 

I think people are over estimating how good our team actually was last year. It was functional with the addition of Morgan brilliance at times. The style we played was taken apart by more physical and experienced teams at times as well. The style was always going to have to change, and the personal has to follow.

Smith was good last season, but again he's totally unproven at this level along with the team minus Samson and arguably McGinn (who's last spell in the league wasn't brilliant with Dundee). In all honesty Morgan was probably the only player we had last season likely to get into the starting 11 of the majority of teams we are now playing.

Our recruitment is a mess, but that's because we weren't organised and allowed the circus of Ross leaving to hamper our efforts to improve early. The length of time we took to appoint someone despite it being clear that Ross was going was a massive hindrance. We are weeks behind most teams, I'm a big believer in the club having someone that retains the contacts and scouting knowledge of players rather than being reliant on the manager at the time to know some people.

Stubbs has missed out on a few targets because of finances, and it looks like there is a few mistakes been made but there's still time to get people in, and actually settle the team. A few of the guys will improve, a few will go. Guaranteed if Stubbs last the season the squad will look entirely different.
Smith played over 70 games for Aberdeen. I'd imagine most were at "this level".

Bad day to be a Saint.

Not sure where to start on player performances today but Flynn was right up there, he was rank rotten and far from alone.

Management team and us fans were the biggest losers.

Typical St Mirren. Only we can crash and burn so quickly from what was a great last season.  Any remaining feelgood factor has been banished, very similar to  what happened when we last won the cup, Heroes to shambles in no time at all. 

Tough times ahead sadly.

4 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Well done to the 242 Livingston fans who attended, i think that is the biggest amount they have brought to a game in Paisley

Were very loud and gave their Team great support.

As usual, from my seat in W1, the W7 lads could not be heard. The Livy fans drowned them out easily.

It must be down the acoustics in the West Stand compared to the Away Stand.

OUR SINGING SECTION MUST BE MOVED TO THE SOUTH STAND.

They are wasted in W7.

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

Cammy Smith will tell you himself he isn’t a striker.

This is a player who was punted by Aberdeen and then couldn’t get a game for a shite championship Dundee United.

Don’t get me wrong, Smith is a decent player. But he isn’t all that.

He’s a poor mans Paul McGowan.

In fairness DUFC were managed by Ray McKinnon by that time who turned them into a big physical team like Livi but not as good. Cammy Smith is definitely comfortably a bottom 6 premiership player, and always thought his attitude and effort was great, a real team player who kept plugging away even if he wasn't having a great game. Last season we had threats from all over the park, Reilly, Morgan, McShane, and even MacKenzie coming up for corners which probably helped Cammy - this season we are very one paced going forward, and we haven't even seen what Jeff King and Cody Cooke will bring to the party.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Remember when Top Cat used to say Kenny McLean and John McGinn weren't half as good as Stevie Mallan... Mallan now strangely missing from Top Cat's list of brilliant central midfielders in recent years.

3rd game in a row that was over as a contest within 30 minutes. This time we weren't away from home against the biggest teams with the largest budgets in an intimidating atmosphere. We were up against a team we finished 12 points ahead of, at our home ground, with an away support of 242 fans, with a larger budget and against a manager who had been in place for about 48 hours if that.

Still, Doug Jamie may take solace that for the final 55 minutes it was 0-0. We sure know how to finish matches strongly!

5 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

3rd game in a row that was over as a contest within 30 minutes. This time we weren't away from home against the biggest teams with the largest budgets in an intimidating atmosphere. We were up against a team we finished 12 points ahead of, at our home ground, with an away support of 242 fans, with a larger budget and against a manager who had been in place for about 48 hours if that.

Still, Doug Jamie may take solace that for the final 55 minutes it was 0-0. We sure know how to finish matches strongly!

The cold reality is this above. I said at the start I feared for us and was ridiculed by the usual suspects, sadly I'm being proved right.

At least we've only played a handful of games and aren't at the foot of the table, can Stubbs turn it round I don't think so as things don't look right on or off the park with no leadership?.

Edited by Jack the lad

Clueless. Lacklustre. Inept. Unorganised. Undisciplined. Lazy. There are so many adjectives you could use for that performance yesterday. It's simpler to just say useless. I could see nothing that would persuade me that we are anything but cannon fodder in this league under Stubb's tenure.

3 games in and the feelgood factor is well and truly f**ked. IF AS manages to turn this clusterf**k around it will be astounding. Even our captain marvel is a shadow of the man we saw last season. No directing, cajoling or encouragement from him.  The midfield was non existent. The defending? Juvenile at best. We weren't beaten by two lapses in concentration. We were beaten by One coaching team, laughable terminology given the lack of discipline and tactical formation yesterday. The players were actually bumping into each other FFS!

This is the end of the beginning to our upward trend and the beginning of the end to our season if the board continue to back the clowns who profess to be manager and coaches. This is as serious as it gets. Those who call me and others who see the trees as knickerwetters may just be sleepwalking into the clubs demise. Action is needed and needed now.

Stubbs built a championship team at hibs but he had cash to do it with. We either need to get rid or give him funds to do what he did there. Square peg, round hole. 

Clueless. Lacklustre. Inept. Unorganised. Undisciplined. Lazy. There are so many adjectives you could use for that performance yesterday. It's simpler to just say useless. I could see nothing that would persuade me that we are anything but cannon fodder in this league under Stubb's tenure.
3 games in and the feelgood factor is well and truly f**ked. IF AS manages to turn this clusterf**k around it will be astounding. Even our captain marvel is a shadow of the man we saw last season. No directing, cajoling or encouragement from him.  The midfield was non existent. The defending? Juvenile at best. We weren't beaten by two lapses in concentration. We were beaten by One coaching team, laughable terminology given the lack of discipline and tactical formation yesterday. The players were actually bumping into each other FFS!
This is the end of the beginning to our upward trend and the beginning of the end to our season if the board continue to back the clowns who profess to be manager and coaches. This is as serious as it gets. Those who call me and others who see the trees as knickerwetters may just be sleepwalking into the clubs demise. Action is needed and needed now.
Stubbs built a championship team at hibs but he had cash to do it with. We either need to get rid or give him funds to do what he did there. Square peg, round hole. 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Amen to this.
Post of the month.

13 hours ago, TopCat said:

Agree with that to some degree.

I do think he has a place in our squad.

Captain / leader though? No.

After today I would strip him of the captaincy and drop him. Then look for his response.

I’d imagine his response would be to tell Stubbs to ram his job up his arse, sign for one of our competitors next week and come back to haunt us on a regular basis. 

There is only one person I want to see leaving the club and it is that useless sack of shit cowering in the dug out.

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

What the actual f**k is wrong with a captain high fiving one of his teammates when he comes on as a sub??

1 hour ago, theknickerwetter said:

Knickerwetter , time tae wring them oot

I have tried to be positive from Stubbs' outset but there was NOTHING in yesterdays performance to cling hope onto. There was nothing in the last two outings either and the win against Dundee was nothing to shout about as far as performance is concerned. Only the Killie game and the false dawn Dumbarton win gave a glimmer of hope. That has flickered and died in the wind of what transpired after.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

I have tried to be positive from Stubbs' outset but there was NOTHING in yesterdays performance to cling hope onto. There was nothing in the last two outings either and the win against Dundee was nothing to shout about as far as performance is concerned. Only the Killie game and the false dawn Dumbarton win gave a glimmer of hope. That has flickered and died in the wind of what transpired after.

Yesterday's performance seemed to be a continuation of the spineless performances against the blue bigots and Aberdeen.

Like you, I have tried to be positive regarding Stubbs' signings, tactics and man management. At least when JR took over Rae's shambles, you could see what he was trying to achieve. I have no idea what Stubbs is trying to achieve, other than getting punted!

I really want Stubbs to succeed, but, at present, I just can't see it happening.

Other than Sammy, Baird and Mullen for about the first hour, I really can't find anything to be positive about regarding yesterday's debacle.

I'm  afraid it's not looking good at all, and like JJ, if this level of performance continues, I feel that the game will be up for Stubbs and his assistants by October, as I'm sure GS will act swiftly.

It's not all bad though. At least we can use the extra money from the blue and green bigot games to pay them off.:thumbsup

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Yesterday's performance seemed to be a continuation of the spineless performances against the blue bigots and Aberdeen.

Like you, I have tried to be positive regarding Stubbs' signings, tactics and man management. At least when JR took over Rae's shambles, you could see what he was trying to achieve. I have no idea what Stubbs is trying to achieve, other than getting punted!

I really want Stubbs to succeed, but, at present, I just can't see it happening.

Other than Sammy, Baird and Mullen for about the first hour, I really can't find anything to be positive about regarding yesterday's debacle.

I'm  afraid it's not looking good at all, and like JJ, if this level of performance continues, I feel that the game will be up for Stubbs and his assistants by October, as I'm sure GS will act swiftly.

It's not all bad though. At least we can use the extra money from the blue and green bigot games to pay them off.:thumbsup

You've just enlightened me as to the boards plan.

By getting the team to play so poorly the fans will embrace the decanting of our fellow supporters to allow the bigots to pay for the solution.

ETA.

Stubbs is doing the equivalent to Les Dawson on the piano.

Feckin' genius

lightbulb.png

Edited by stlucifer

If the attitude of our fans to adversity is what I'm seeing and hearing, we deserve everything we get. 

If players are deciding they don't fancy the manager and are performing with less than 100% commitment due to this, they can go as far as I'm concerned. 

Seems we're excusing players who are performing in a less than professional way, as if they're wee boys rather than grown men who are paid well to represent this club. 

I support this club, not individuals. I don't personally know any of the players - or the manager - so I speak without bias on their performances, without giving them excuses that I refuse to give to others. 

I'm personally sick and tired of this season already. I'll go and support the team every week as usual but the way we've turned on the manager and a lot of new, young players is pathetic, and as stated, we deserve everything we get.

With that, I'm giving this place a miss for a while. 

4-4-2 without a wide player to be seen.

Flynn WAS a winger and still has the odd run at the full back, but did he once get anywhere near the byline and put in a cross?

Magennis on the left is like Rae playing Mallan on the right, total waste.

At one point Flynn played a pass from the halfway line up to Magennis on the right wing.

We have 1 winger in our entire squad, O’Keefe. Cammy Smith and Jeff King are both tidy players, but both are probably slower than Kenny Miller.

Long hard season of no creativity ahead.

11 hours ago, shull said:

Were very loud and gave their Team great support.

As usual, from my seat in W1, the W7 lads could not be heard. The Livy fans drowned them out easily.

It must be down the acoustics in the West Stand compared to the Away Stand.

OUR SINGING SECTION MUST BE MOVED TO THE SOUTH STAND.

They are wasted in W7.

I sit in the Gasworks end of the Main Stand and heard W7 loud and clear the whole game.I even commented with 10 mins to go that W7 were still going strong.

It must be the acoustics.