How far would you travel?

This season will see Truro City playing home games in Torquay. This is due to their ground being knocked down to make way for Lidl while a new ground (Stadium for Cornwall) is still being built. According to Google Maps the "best route" is a 107 mile drive which will take approx. 1hr 47m journey time. Likewise in the past we have seen the likes of Gretna face a (Google Map approx) trip of 77 miles and 1hr 12m journey for a "home game" in Motherwell.

If Saints were suddenly rendered homeless and forced into a groundshare, how far would you be willing to travel before deciding it was too far? Would you keep your Season Ticket (if you had one) or drop it knowing you may only attend some games? Would you still expect Saints to charge full price for home fans knowing the potential trip and costs most would have to make for each home game?

40 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

This season will see Truro City playing home games in Torquay. This is due to their ground being knocked down to make way for Lidl while a new ground (Stadium for Cornwall) is still being built. According to Google Maps the "best route" is a 107 mile drive which will take approx. 1hr 47m journey time. Likewise in the past we have seen the likes of Gretna face a (Google Map approx) trip of 77 miles and 1hr 12m journey for a "home game" in Motherwell.

If Saints were suddenly rendered homeless and forced into a groundshare, how far would you be willing to travel before deciding it was too far? Would you keep your Season Ticket (if you had one) or drop it knowing you may only attend some games? Would you still expect Saints to charge full price for home fans knowing the potential trip and costs most would have to make for each home game?

We'll go wherever St.Mirren go .

Hypothetical situation obviously, but as I go to just about every game , I couldn't  see that changing really. As long as our new temporary home wasn't Greenock obviously. 

My closest Premiership teams are Celtic, Motherwell and Saint Johnstone. My closest SPFL teams are Stirling Albion, Alloa and Falkirk. Not as far as others have to travel to Paisley for games but around 80 mile round trip. Also go to all away games so hypothetically the answer would be anywhere in Scotland. 

22 years in Dumfries saw me with an almost 200 mile round trip to home games .
First season I moved down I made every home game and a few away ones. I have to say though it did tail off, with a young family other things started to demand my time and by the time we moved back home I was down to about 6-8 a season.

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

All a bit sad focusing your life around following a football team.

What a waste.......

164 mile round trip and I have a season ticket. I go just about every week.

I'm fortunate at present that I have both the time and the resources to go to the games. There are many things you can focus your life around and for the last 40 years I focused my life around family and work. I grew up with the Saints and was a die hard from 1974 till 1987.  Thereafter I moved away from Paisley to focus on other things and  I rarely attended a game until SMISA put out the call. 

And do you know what........... I found I had missed it big time. 

I'll make a wild guess, "the what a waste" was said with tongue in cheek

There are worse things to focus on than football. The game can be Crap, the team can be mince, you can get pumped 10-0 but you can't take away the day out. You can't take away the experience. Ok, I like a sherbet or two and a wee sing song. I like camaraderie, being part of something and meeting people. Football is the perfect way to unwind.

I'm ready to head for Glasgow, meet my buds and get a few down my neck before  travelling to Castle Grey Skull to join the adventure. Win, lose or even get pumped I'll be singing my heart out and enjoying the day. Chances are it'll be just like the legendary 600 who sang their way into the valley of death when we got pumped at Pittodrie last season but you know what I fancy our chances today.

I'll come home tonight and focus on mundane stuff like the back fence needs restored, the wife wants a holiday, the waynes want everything and every one of them is sitting on a computer, ipad or phone or watching a box set and I'll think , 'What a waste......' Thank feck I've got Aberdeen to go next week end and don't have to focus on the mundane stuff everyone else does.

I plan to live out my last 20 odd years the same way as I did my first 20 odd years

"I'll go where ever St Mirren go"

I'll see any of you like minded Buds at Castle Grey Skull

COYS

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Not focusing

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I'm fortunate at present that I have both the time and the resources to go to the games. There are many things you can focus your life around and for the last 40 years I focused my life around family and work. I grew up with the Saints and was a die hard from 1974 till 1987.  Thereafter I moved away from Paisley to focus on other things and  I rarely attended a game until SMISA put out the call. 

There are worse things to focus on than football. The game can be Crap, the team can be mince, you can get pumped 10-0 but you can't take away the day out. You can't take away the experience. Ok, I like a sherbet or two and a wee sing song. I like camaraderie, being part of something and meeting people. Football is the perfect way to unwind.

I'm ready to head for Glasgow, meet my buds and get a few down my neck before  travelling to Castle Grey Skull to join the adventure. Win, lose or even get pumped I'll be singing my heart out and enjoying the day. Chances are it'll be just like the legendary 600 who sang their way into the valley of death when we got pumped at Pittodrie last season but you know what I fancy our chances today.

I'll come home tonight and focus on mundane stuff like the back fence needs restored, the wife wants a holiday, the waynes want everything and every one of them is sitting on a computer, ipad or phone or watching a box set and I'll think , 'What a waste......' Thank feck I've got Aberdeen to go next week end and don't have to focus on the mundane stuff everyone else does.

I plan to live out my last 20 odd years the same way as I did my first 20 odd years

COYS

Brilliant. 

COYS

Fantastic! Enjoy your day Bud. COYS

COYS

Great post ELS. My daughter & I will be there today as well, and I too have a funny wee feeling today we’re going to be just fine, 2 nil to the Saints!!

COYS

Great post other than the Castle Grey Skull references. That is where He Man (the goodie) lived and got his powers from.

I think Snake Mountain is a lot more apt as that is where Skeletor (the baddie) lived

Unfortunately I can't afford making the 1,100 mile round trip for each home match. One of the things I miss most about moving away. Always loved the away games too, more so than the home matches.

Am I f**k travelling to Torquay to watch Truro though :lol:

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

Guest TPAFKATS
Unfortunately I can't afford making the 1,100 mile round trip for each home match. One of the things I miss most about moving away. Always loved the away games too, more so than the home matches.
Am I f**k travelling to Torquay to watch Truro though [emoji38]
I was talking to my Truro based brother in law about this yesterday. Still waiting on gov funding commitment (apparently Cameron said they would match funding).
Can't see the stadium being ready until after 2020 if at all.
Probably be a slow demise for Truro City

5 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I was talking to my Truro based brother in law about this yesterday. Still waiting on gov funding commitment (apparently Cameron said they would match funding).
Can't see the stadium being ready until after 2020 if at all.
Probably be a slow demise for Truro City

Cornwall needs this if it's to progress in sport. Truro City will be denied promotion to the Conference until the stadium is built, likewise the Cornish Pirates rugby union side cannot gain access to the Premiership until the stadium is up and running. Likewise the move could boost their support as they would be more central in Cornwall compared to now where they play in Penzance. Cornwall Council committed £3m to the project, and the Truro chairman said they had to leave Treyvew Road so developers could start work and commit £2m to the Stadium (hence why they've gone to Torquay). Still nothing from the government, says it all considering all 6 MPs in Cornwall are Tory. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Cornwall needs this if it's to progress in sport. Truro City will be denied promotion to the Conference until the stadium is built, likewise the Cornish Pirates rugby union side cannot gain access to the Premiership until the stadium is up and running. Likewise the move could boost their support as they would be more central in Cornwall compared to now where they play in Penzance. Cornwall Council committed £3m to the project, and the Truro chairman said they had to leave Treyvew Road so developers could start work and commit £2m to the Stadium (hence why they've gone to Torquay). Still nothing from the government, says it all considering all 6 MPs in Cornwall are Tory. 
Yeah, potentially a great addition not only for football and rugby but also potential for athletics and other sports if astro is laid instead of grass. Also concerts and conferencing facilities.

Pirates have already made the play offs in years gone by with no chance of promotion if I recall correctly?

Mibees they could apply for EU funding...

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeah, potentially a great addition not only for football and rugby but also potential for athletics and other sports if astro is laid instead of grass. Also concerts and conferencing facilities.

Pirates have already made the play offs in years gone by with no chance of promotion if I recall correctly?

Mibees they could apply for EU funding...

Correct, Pirates won't be allowed entry to the Premiership until this stadium is built. This stadium is vital for Cornwall. If it doesn't happen the chances are Truro will have to drop down the leagues now that Treyvew Road is now in the hands of the developers. Unfortunately the Cornish were one of many who thought we'd be better off out of the EU. No idea where the replacement funds will come from because they get bugger all from Westminster.

1 hour ago, eastlandssaint said:

Highly worrying that they were pressured into it by the Lidl developers. If the stadium fails to materialise Truro City will be in the shit.