Liam Smith

1 hour ago, donport said:

Just read he has signed a years contract with Ayr ! Surely he would have a been a great signing for us??Are we asleep at the wheel??

No.

We already have a right back, who IMO is doing well so far.

I'm trying to avoid looking at Smith through my rose tinted glasses of last season. He did very well for us in the championship, but in his absence he's fast becoming some sort of super player in the eyes of some of our fans.

It's worth noting that that no other championship team, of a better quality than Ayr, was willing to take a chance on him, despite having been up against him last season. Maybe they've all spent their budgets, but maybe their managers don't rate him either.

Edited by FTOF

Would have loved Liam Smith back.
Thought he was brilliant last season and he’s a good age so would have got better.

He would have been excellent competition for McGinn at right back. Presently Paul is the only right back we have so...

I can only assume Stubbs has another right back in mind.

Can’t really judge the window till the 1st of September... expect a busy couple of weeks.

Some of you romanticists really need to move on.

Constant harping back to ex-players who did a job for us at a lower level is tiresome and won't assist our progression at this higher level.

For an instance, Stelios did a job for us last season. Having gained promotion we freed him, he got picked up by a team in the division we just left behind. No teams in the top division considered signing him. Liam Smith wasn't fancied by Hearts, hence he has ended up back in the division we have just left. That is probably his level. Our support need to look beyond the players that found their level in the Championship. Sentiment gets you f**ked in the top league,

Constant harping back to ex-players who did a job for us at a lower level is tiresome and won't assist our progression at this higher level.
For an instance, Stelios did a job for us last season. Having gained promotion we freed him, he got picked up by a team in the division we just left behind. No teams in the top division considered signing him. Liam Smith wasn't fancied by Hearts, hence he has ended up back in the division we have just left. That is probably his level. Our support need to look beyond the players that found their level in the Championship. Sentiment gets you f**ked in the top league,

Totally agree.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Stelios was never a first pick unlike Smith who was practically an ever-present for us once he arrived and also ended up in the Championship team of 2108/19, I'm surprised he didn't do better than Ayr.

Smith did well for us last season, scored a couple of great goals from full back, and may have been able to raise his game to do a decent job in the Premiership. However, the fact that he has ended up at Ayr leads me to believe that it wasn't only Stubbs who didn't think him worthy of a punt - even in the Championship. 

All the best to Smith - as to other Championship winning legends who have moved on. 

Liam to me is like Coulson - an attacking wing-back but not a great full back. I would generally rather have McGinn and Eckersley play full-back, especially at Away games,  and those two in front of them. For home games and games where we need to attack by all means give Coulson and Smith a game but in the Premiership that doesn't happen too often.

Liam Smith would (quite correctly) have struggled to get a first team game while Paul McGinn remains fit and available.

McGinn (P) has looked solid and dependable, and deserves to keep his place.

I would have been delighted to have Liam back, but perhaps he is at a stage in his career when he doesn't want to play second fiddle.

We do, though, need cover/competition in the full back areas. If the Croatian player we reportedly have on trial currently can play at either centre half or right full back, he might well fit the bill.

I wish Liam all the very best in his future career. Great young player, and a smashing lad too.

Edited by Drew

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Liam Smith would (quite correctly) have struggled to get a first team game while Paul McGinn remains fit and available.

McGinn (P) has looked solid and dependable, and deserves to keep his place.

I would have been delighted to have Liam back, but perhaps he is at a stage in his career when he doesn't want to play second fiddle.

We do, though, need cover/competition in the full back areas. If the Croatian player we reportedly have on trial currently can play at either centre half or right full back, he might well for the bill.

I wish Liam all the very best in his future career. Great young player, and a smashing lad too.

Spot on. I am surprised nobody other than Ayr would be interested in him, but maybe other teams have already got their squads filled.

I think we have  another centre back on trial as well at the moment - Stubbs obviously sees the need for reinforcements in that area, probably meaning Gary Mack will soon be off. Great to see Heaton getting gametime last night, and by all accounts played very well.

In fairness Stubbs did say he wanted competition in all positions. Smith would have been decent competition for P.McGinn. Just because McGinn is doing well as our starting RB doesn't mean we don't need decent cover in that area. Best wait until the window is over, Stubbs may have someone else lined up.

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

As a matter of interest how many of our current team and how many of the new signings are good enough for this level? Liam might not be good enough for Hearts but he is certainly as good as our current group of players imo.

4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Why would anyone think that a guy who just signed for Ayr would improve our team?

Because of his performance for a Championship winning team last season. By that logic, why would you think Cammy Smith, Craig Samson, McGinn, Magennis, etc would be good enough? Nonsense argument. 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Because of his performance for a Championship winning team last season. By that logic, why would you think Cammy Smith, Craig Samson, McGinn, Magennis, etc would be good enough? Nonsense argument. 

Most of the players you mentioned have already played at Premiership level, with Magennis a guy who is universally highly rated by our support, and those outwith the club.

Had we gone into the new season with the squad we finished last season with, we'd have gone straight back down. Jack knew this, and had planned for extensive strengthening had he stayed. One of the signings being lambasted as non-league and not good enough for this level, is Kellermann - a Jack Ross signing.

I think we need to realise that we aren't doing badly this season. Still in the league cup, 3 points out of 6 so far in the league having played one of the ugly sisters - many are predicting our downfall based mainly on players they've barely seen playing, and a manager they're reluctant to give full backing to.

Early days - be positive!