Alfie Jones

RossCSmfc

2 hours ago, David Mc said:

I do wonder if he demonstrably fails to reach an acceptable level of fitness we can come to a more affordable financial agreement to release him.  He'd been with us for much of pre-season so why would we expect him not to have a decent level of fitness to start at least the league season?

Cant help thinking there's a player in there somewhere... and a coo, twa pigs, three lambs, 25 Yardley Big Breakfasts etc, etc..

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Maybe I’m getting it wrong , perhaps he suffers from that well known optical illusion where he isn’t heavy, just big boned emoji848.png or yardley syndrome as I believe it’s called emoji57.png

I can relate to that, as I am also big boned. 

Of course, I'm not sure what the big bone all round my stomach is called... 

Is Jones meant to be a defender or a midfielder? If he's a defender, why didn't we bring him on when Ferdinand went off? Would have made more sense than moving Paul McGinn to centre half.

Agree . That was indeed a puzzle. We ended up with a RB @ CH , a RB @ LB and a RM @ RB . While Jones gets splinters .
Strange [emoji848]

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Is Jones meant to be a defender or a midfielder? If he's a defender, why didn't we bring him on when Ferdinand went off? Would have made more sense than moving Paul McGinn to centre half.

I'd like clarification on this. All we know is he seems to be either a CB or DM. Would be handy to know what Oran thinks is his better position. Surely if it was CB he'd have come on...but then if Oran had no intention of playing Jones at CB, why didn't we have Kpekawa or Heaton on the bench? Not sure what to think!

1 hour ago, JM1 said:

I'd guess OK thinks Paul McGinn is better at centre half then either Jones, Kpekawa or Heaton.

Which is fair enough as any time they've played they've looked shite.

Have we not lost 5 goals in a game and a half when Paul goes to c/h ?  3 against the Accies and 2 today and no way am I blaming Paul for the goals.

20 hours ago, renfrew said:

Have we not lost 5 goals in a game and a half when Paul goes to c/h ?  3 against the Accies and 2 today and no way am I blaming Paul for the goals.

As I wrote elsewhere - losing either Anton or Bairdy at CB            OR/AND        McGinn or Hodson at Full back makes us weaker at the moment - they are our best option in these positions.

Problem is the squad is not good enough, at least with those who are currently fit...

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Alfie on the bench for Southampton in the EPL on Saturday!!! And there were those hounding him out of here in exchange for what?

In exchange for Popescu - who is looking to be a very very good CB indeed . . .   does that not fit with your argument ? (Now there is a surprise)   :hammer

Although Alfie certainly improved - he was still costing us goals right up to his last match... He is a young guy and will get better - but let's see if he makes it at Southampton.

Alfie on the bench for Southampton in the EPL on Saturday!!! And there were those hounding him out of here in exchange for what?

Good luck to the young man, I hope he does very well.
Think this says a lot about our club that after only four months at St.Mirren he had improved to such an extent that his new manager feels he is worth a first team squad place.