Welcome Alfie Jones

St Mirren Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Alfie Jones on a season-long loan subject to international clearance.

20 year-old Jones, who can play at centre half or as a defensive midfielder, joins Saints from English Premier League club Southampton where he recently penned a new two-year deal.

Jones is captain of Southampton’s Under 23 side and played 21 times in Premier League 2 last season.

Speaking on the signing, St Mirren manager Alan Stubbs said: "It’s probably one that came into conversations a few weeks ago.

"We’ve found ourselves in a position where we can move forward with it and we are delighted that Alfie has agreed to join us.

"He is a young talented lad who is ready for this next step and we are looking forward to seeing him. He’s six foot, he’s good on the ball, he likes to play in that defensive midfield position and he has played centre back, which is an added bonus.

"Southampton have fantastic reputation in terms of producing young players through their academy. We find ourselves in a fortunate position that we have managed to get the services of Alfie through the help of Ross [Wilson] and a few other people who have made it happen.

"In terms of fitness, he has had a number of games now where he is up to speed so he will go into the squad for Saturday all being well."

Sounds like Stubbs is thinking of him more so as a defensive midfielder.  

Hopefully a good addition to the squad overall whilst not quite addressing any of the problem positions that we're crying out for signings.

Welcome to the club Alfie! 

Maybe allows Kyle to move out to he right hand side leaving him, McGinn and Willock in middle?

2 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Maybe allows Kyle to move out to he right hand side leaving him, McGinn and Willock in middle?

Possibly, but what's the rest of the line up and shape?  Playing McGinn, Willock and Alfie in the middle and Magennis wide would mean either Mullen or Smith having to play on the left and the other being dropped. I can't see that I'm afraid. 

If he is signed as a Defensive Mid then it probably puts even more pressure on us to get McShane off of the wage bill.  I wonder if it also puts an end to any rumours relating to Polwarth from ICT.  

Welcome to the best club in the world, Alfie.

The lad has a very good reputation from the wee bit of online research I carried out yesterday. Whilst not a priority area for strengthening, this looks like a good acquisition for the squad.

ETA - Excusing the despicable rag this is sourced from:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4209622/Secret-Scout-Southampton-new-star-Alfie-Jones.html

Edited by Drew

I know loanees are part and parcel of the game, and a very warm welcome to Alfie, but I’d like a few signings, permanent like, pwoper naughty Smurrrn signings* that aren’t going to be offski in one season... (we might get two out of em). :P

*marquee or otherwise

Edited by pozbaird

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I know loanees are part and parcel of the game, and a very warm welcome to Alfie, but I’d like a few signings, permanent like, pwoper naughty Smurrrn signings* that aren’t going to be offski in one season... (we might get two out of em). :P

*marquee or otherwise

It's a fair point.

As a rule, I would rather we signed our own players, but many 'permanent' deals nowadays are only for a year in the first instance (certainly at the level of the market where we operate).

Longer contracts - for those clubs that can afford them - are usually more a case of the club investing on the basis that there will be a sell-on benefit.

There is also less risk associated with these types of loans. If it doesn't work out, you aren't stuck with a dud that has to be offloaded.

I can certainly see a few downsides, though.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We didn't have a proper defensive midfielder on the books so I'd say that this was a priority area.

True enough, though I would tend to prefer a more experienced player in that position. That's not to say that this lad won't slot in perfectly well.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's a fair point.

As a rule, I would rather we signed our own players, but many 'permanent' deals nowadays are only for a year in the first instance (certainly at the level of the market where we operate).

Longer contracts - for those clubs that can afford them - are usually more a case of the club investing on the basis that there will be a sell-on benefit.

There is also less risk associated with these types of loans. If it doesn't work out, you aren't stuck with a dud that has to be offloaded.

I can certainly see a few downsides, though.

A good mix of loanees and Stephen McGinn / Thommo / Shuggie type signings is what I would like to see, but you don’t always get what you want, and I’m sure everyone at the club is doing their utmost, in this modern football landscape, to assemble a competitive St Mirren. The likes of Lewis Morgan knew about the badge on his chest and cared about it. As did Broadfoot after signing that PCA. Let’s hope the balance is a good one.

Edited by pozbaird

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

Welcome to the best club in the world, Alfie.

The lad has a very good reputation from the wee bit of online research I carried out yesterday. Whilst not a priority area for strengthening, this looks like a good acquisition for the squad.

ETA - Excusing the despicable rag this is sourced from:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4209622/Secret-Scout-Southampton-new-star-Alfie-Jones.html

Strongly disagree,  The team been crying out for a good defensive midfield player. every defence needs protection.  and now we need someone with pace up front ,  both area`s are/were the top priority.   

Just now, portmahomack saint said:

Strongly disagree,  The team been crying out for a good defensive midfield player. every defence needs protection.  and now we need someone with pace up front ,  both area`s are/were the top priority.   

See my response to Wendy Andy above.

I posted on here last week about my thoughts on the requirement for a defensive mid. I just think it is an area where a bit more experience is preferable.

Granted I didn't make that clear in my post about priority position. If this lad can step up in that position, I'll be absolutely delighted.

I’m on a roll with posting utter guff, so here goes again..

There’s only one Paisley Saint Murrn,

Only one Paisley Saint Murrn,

We’ve got hunners of loans,

Now we’ve got Alfie Jones,

We’re walking in a loanee wonderland.

I never understand why the W7 guys don’t pick up my songs, they’re braw. :toilet

15 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Welcome to Saints Alfie we are a small club with a big heart. We have won all major cups in Scotland over the years.  You give us your all you will become close to the fans. Best of luck. 

That’s not true, there are plenty of small clubs out there but we’re not one of them. 

We’re not a big club either, we’re somewhere in the middle. 

Just now, Wendy Saintss said:

Leicester City fans were saying the same thing when they signed N'golo Kante

I'm not familiar with English fitba, to be honest, but I'm assuming he is a young defensive midfielder who is very effective in that position.

I don't doubt there are examples. It was just my ill-informed ramblings on the subject, to be taken, as always, with a pinch of salt and a hefty dollop of contempt:)