Welcome Alfie Jones

Sounds like a very good signing highly rated from one of the best academy’s in England.

Don’t care if we get another few loans in if they keep us up then Stubbs can build from their for next season. He will have the Benefit of being in place to snap up the better options who are out of contract.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

It's a fair point.

As a rule, I would rather we signed our own players, but many 'permanent' deals nowadays are only for a year in the first instance (certainly at the level of the market where we operate).

Longer contracts - for those clubs that can afford them - are usually more a case of the club investing on the basis that there will be a sell-on benefit.

There is also less risk associated with these types of loans. If it doesn't work out, you aren't stuck with a dud that has to be offloaded.

I can certainly see a few downsides, though.

If you looked at the ins and outs of the EPL last week you would see most of the premiership have loaners on the go

its neither good nor bad

its just the way to assemble a squad these days 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Welcome to the best club in the world, Alfie.

The lad has a very good reputation from the wee bit of online research I carried out yesterday. Whilst not a priority area for strengthening, this looks like a good acquisition for the squad.

ETA - Excusing the despicable rag this is sourced from:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4209622/Secret-Scout-Southampton-new-star-Alfie-Jones.html

Looks a really good signing. AS going for a lot of youngsters with potential. Would like to see some proven older guys to help them along. 

I think this is potentially a very good addition from a highly rated outfit in terms of their talent conveyor belt. He is almost definitely already way beyond our finances in terms of purchasing him and wages for him so to get him for a full season loan would seem to represent a good opportunity for us as a club and for him to develop as a player. I too would like to see us buy our own players but we really probably could not afford to do so with Alfie, so in many ways this is better than a permanent signing if he does a good job for us in the coming season, which I've no reason to doubt he won't!

Looks like the boy has potential based on information I have seen on him. I look forward to seeing him in action.

If we decide to play him centre half I wonder if he replaces Baird or Kpekawa? Not a good sign for Heaton and would make Gary Mac ever playing for us again slim to no chance.

If he plays him as a holding midfielder then who does he drop? McGinn, Willock or Magennis who are arguably our 3 best players alongside Cammy Smith. Good dilemma to have I suppose.

I would now love for us to bring in a full back, striker & wide midfielder. Hopefully not on loan as I believe we already have 5 on loan and I believe that’s a bit much.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

If you looked at the ins and outs of the EPL last week you would see most of the premiership have loaners on the go

its neither good nor bad

its just the way to assemble a squad these days 

Aye, it certainly seems so, and why would/should we be any different.

Prob Mullen. Mullen and Smith are the same type player both good players. But how do know he's not going to replace 1 of the center backs.

Baird? As much as I like him he’s prone to a few costly mistakes yes only young but played long enough now. As for Alfie being on loan that’s the nature of football these days. What player stays at a club long term these days, not a lot so am happy if he does a job for us.

Baird? As much as I like him he’s prone to a few costly mistakes yes only young but played long enough now. As for Alfie being on loan that’s the nature of football these days. What player stays at a club long term these days, not a lot so am happy if he does a job for us.

I think Jones has been brought as a defensive midfielder. It's said can also play as a defender. But AS is hoping to get at least another 2 new players in. But not in time for Sat. But then again we never know.

Why?

We need strengthening if the better players available to us are loan deals at the moment then we should go for them.

I see very little difference from giving someone a 1 year deal to a 1 year loan.

I would prefer young players on 2 year deals that we can sell on or invest the wages in our youth academy. One or two are fine to plug gaps in the squad are fine but I would prefer permanent signings.

I think Jones has been brought as a defensive midfielder. It's said can also play as a defender. But AS is hoping to get at least another 2 new players in. But not in time for Sat. But then again we never know.  

Fingers crossed we get couple more added to the squad. Who do you think would maybe get dropped to play him Gary? He’s already dropped Flynn to the bench IMO is a good player.

20 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We shouldn’t sign loan players or inexperienced players or non league players or English players or v9 players or someone who might replace one of last season’s squad or players that pozbaird and Drew haven’t heard of.

Have I missed any category?

Anyone who thinks you're a cock?

That would rule out just about everyone then. Even yer maw.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I know loanees are part and parcel of the game, and a very warm welcome to Alfie, but I’d like a few signings, permanent like, pwoper naughty Smurrrn signings* that aren’t going to be offski in one season... (we might get two out of em). :P

*marquee or otherwise

Exactly my thoughts. If we are expecting to be fighting to avoid the relegation play offs or automatic relegation this season I'm not sure it's wise to have half the starting XI as loan signings - it was a point made near the end of Danny Lennon's tenure about how motivated are loanees to beat the drop if they go back to their parent club at the end of the season anyway. We've had some cracking loanees in the last decade or so: Charlie Adam, Graham Carey, Scott Cuthbert, Paul McGowan, Paul Dummett, Connor Newton, Isma Goncalves, Cammy Smith, Lewis Morgan, so I'm not against us using the loan market but I think we need to be careful about the balance of our team and our own homegrown youth academy players, new signings, existing squad members, loanees, senior pros with a bit of experience.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

From the official Southampton website -

A centre-back, who is also capable of playing an accomplished role in midfield, Jones won the club’s Young Player of the Year award in 2016 and has since gone on to captain Southampton’s Under-23s side.

My emphasis.

Exactly my thoughts. If we are expecting to be fighting to avoid the relegation play offs or automatic relegation this season I'm not sure it's wise to have half the starting XI as loan signings - it was a point made near the end of Danny Lennon's tenure about how motivated are loanees to beat the drop if they go back to their parent club at the end of the season anyway. We've had some cracking loanees in the last decade or so: Charlie Adam, Graham Carey, Scott Cuthbert, Paul McGowan, Paul Dummett, Connor Newton, Isma Goncalves, Cammy Smith, Lewis Morgan, so I'm not against us using the loan market but I think we need to be careful about the balance of our team and our own homegrown youth academy players, new signings, existing squad members, loanees, senior pros with a bit of experience.

Loan signings will affect our academy players the exact same way as permanent signings.

That’s what English people constantly complain about because they have the money to go and buy a load of players.

when Raith got relegated from the championship John Hughes stated that the players knew they would move on to new clubs after Raith got relegated which they did like mvoto and McManus players signed permanently.

We got a player on loan that played a huge part in saving us in Rory loy.

We are not a club that can afford to go and buy a squad so the loan market is a big part for us and always will be even more so at the timing of Stubbs appointment as most of the better players within our budget would have been snapped up early.