Welcome Alfie Jones

Can loan signings ever care enough to play with the intensity and spirit of signed first team players?

Where signed players know if they are in a relegation that their futures are on the line where a loan player goes back to his parent club with most of them on long term contracts.

We have had some phenomenal loan players and some shockers and we are where we are with 5 loan players but no more please.

There is 1000’s of free agents in the UK and across Europe that would be desperate to play for us if given the chance

4 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Can loan signings ever care enough to play with the intensity and spirit of signed first team players?

Where signed players know if they are in a relegation that their futures are on the line where a loan player goes back to his parent club with most of them on long term contracts.

We have had some phenomenal loan players and some shockers and we are where we are with 5 loan players but no more please.

There is 1000’s of free agents in the UK and across Europe that would be desperate to play for us if given the chance

Give's a hundred for starters? :lol:

27 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

FFS!

We've had plenty players on loan who have bust a gut for us, and plenty signed players who haven't bothered their arses

Several of the former have already been mentioned in this thread.

Unless you think that the likes of Dummett, McGowan, Newton and Liam Smith weren't trying as hard as our signed players, and didn't buy into the team spirit.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

FFS!

We've had plenty players on loan who have bust a gut for us, and plenty signed players who haven't bothered their arses

Several of the former have already been mentioned in this thread.

Unless you think that the likes of Dummett, McGowan, Newton and Liam Smith weren't trying as hard as our signed players, and didn't buy into the team spirit.

Is he on "the list".................:whistle

I don’t have any concerns about the loanees trying a leg. A lot of these guys are young, careers on the up, and they will want to make an impression and ‘do a Dummet’. They might not know about the history, but once a loanee comes into Ralston and becomes a team-mate, then I’m sure pride, and a becoming part of the fabric, will make them fight as hard as anyone.

As someone else said, there have been plenty of fully signed up guys who Dummet, Newton and others put to shame.

The current crop of loanees all appear to be up for it, they won’t want to be relegated, and, having made friends with the likes of McGinn, Magennis and Sammy, they won’t want them to suffer relegation. I just want the balance to be right and not loanee-heavy.

Of our outfield loanees only Coulson and now Jones are in contract at the end of the season I think.

10 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Of our outfield loanees only Coulson and now Jones are in contract at the end of the season I think.

I suspect we are being used as a shop window for Big Nic. That's fine, as it will be in everyone's interest that he do well.

Loan deals are fine. I reckon Coulson, Willock, and Jones will be very good for us this season.

5 hours ago, Drew said:
5 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Leicester City fans were saying the same thing when they signed N'golo Kante

I'm not familiar with English fitba, to be honest, but I'm assuming he is a young defensive midfielder who is very effective in that position.

I don't doubt there are examples. It was just my ill-informed ramblings on the subject, to be taken, as always, with a pinch of salt and a hefty dollop of contempt:)

I think the point Wendy is trying to make is that Leicester paid around 9 million for him, way over the odds the fans thought given that not too many had heard of him, but then sold him to Chelsea for around 35 million a year or so later And he is a GOOD player.  Doesn't always work that way at least not too often for St Mirren, but wouldn't it be nice ?  And yes I do know he is a loan player.

Just now, faraway saint said:

Isn't he? 

You're becoming a bit of a joke, scrambling about with anything negative to undermine the manager, disappointing. 

No seen that pish about £75k for a while. :snore

I was laughing because "highly rated" is a cliche - how many young players are not "highly rated" - I have no idea whether the guy will be good or bad just that the phrase is laughable?

Paying our record post-Bosman transfer fee for a player who is not an automatic first pick - now that is pish - as other folk are realizing. Heaton/Cook are the only Stubbs signings I've criticized and I repeat they were ego driven gimmick by Stubbs. 

20 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Just signed a 2 year extension to his contract.

Captain of their u23

Was Southampton’s young player of the year 2 years ago.

They don’t rate him at all thoughemoji106.png

I’ll bet their entire U23 squad is "highly rated".

I just long for fresher cliches.

Edited by Bud the Baker

There are 1000s of free agents in the UK market because by and large, they aren't good enough. The ones who are come with a massive caveat of injury or attitude issues. 

We missed out on some chances to build a squad due to the management situation. The pool of players without a club who are highly sought after is huge in May and June but reduced to minimal amounts by this point in proceedings. 

I don't care how many loanees we have, if they are the best players available to us, get them in I say. 

Is anyone seriously suggesting we wouldn't accept Mikey Johnston, Greg Stewart and for example an Everton boy at this point in the window because it's going to be too many loanees?

Would these same people rather we went for some of the free agents we had on trial earlier in the window instead as they'll apparently be more interested at the expense of significantly less talent? 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Leicester City fans were saying the same thing when they signed N'golo Kante

Not quite.

As a long time Leicester fan, the way I remember it was that we'd just survived relegation in 2015, with a key defensive midfielder Cambiasso (>50 caps for Argentina). He decided he wasn't up to another season in the premier league and left, so the club signed a guy called Gokhan Inler (nearly 100 caps for Switzerland) as a replacement and Kante as someone to develop. Turned out Inler didn't have the legs for the premier league and so Ranieri rushed in Kante as a replacement for Inler after a handful of games. The rest is history.

So, it turned out good, but it wasn't the original plan.

Lesson? - sign both experienced and young players, trust your manager to make the right decisions game by game,  and see how it goes!

Back on topic, I think Alfie Jones will be a great addition to the squad, but he will need time to settle.

If we can eke out a few wins between now and Christmas, I reckon we could be a really good team in the second half of the season and folk like Heaton and Jones will really blossom. All we need to do this season is finish 10th then kick on next season.