League within a league

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 9:11 AM, southsidebud said:

I agree - our winnable battles will be against the teams who didn't finish in the top 6 last year. I think they (the top 6) will remain the same this year.

I said in a previous post that best of the rest (7th) is our most realistic best outcome but established clubs like St J/Motherwell will be slight favourites over us.

9th or 10th would be a realistic likely outcome and either of them will be do me.

We've got to be pragmatic - we need time to settle back into the top league - lets manage our expectations.

So 10th will do the job this year.

...and the Scottish Cup. 

The second match of our league within a league this weekend. Will Saints make it 2 wins out of two by beating Livingston?  I expect a tough game but looking for a home win. 

The second match of our league within a league this weekend. Will Saints make it 2 wins out of two by beating Livingston?  I expect a tough game but looking for a home win. 
Yep. I think we can do it. It will be hard fought but I'm going for 2-0.

Winning our first two home games of the season against our likely rivals will be a very good start to the league season.

22 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I sat O' Grade arithmetic in 1989...

Great answer! Love it.

For the hard of reading the previous post indicated that the exam stopped in 1986......No idea personally. I sat it much, much earlier.

Edited by St.Ricky

3 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

O grades ended in 1990 as the standard grades started being introduced in 1988. I taught the final year of o grade modern studies in 1990 so that was probably the last year of arithmetic. Worst decision ever in Scottish education to drop it too.

I was thinking 1990 or 1991 was the final year of O' Grades. My sister is 2 years younger and she was the first year in our school to sit only Standard Grades in 4th year. Had a few friends who did fail O' Grade Arithmetic in 1989 and did the re-sit, I think 1 friend was still re-sitting Maths in 1991 though.

1 hour ago, the barrhead teacher said:

O grades ended in 1990 as the standard grades started being introduced in 1988. I taught the final year of o grade modern studies in 1990 so that was probably the last year of arithmetic. Worst decision ever in Scottish education to drop it too.

I would say that it's a tie between allowing politicians to interfere in education and forcing a one size fits all approach to education for the title of worst decision. If you are a high flyer or have learning difficulties, normal schooling isn't designed for you. It's designed for the middle tranche.

The lack of a fastrack process for elite performers is a big part of the reason why we are not the innovators we once were.

Edited by oaksoft

The Arithmetic O Level was a pure skoosh.

If ye didnae get an A ye were a bit of a thicky in ma humble opinion.

Mind you, it sometimes threw up some wee cheeky bizum questions. I always mind we were doing a past paper in the class as part of our revision ahead of the exams. One of the questions was “What is the first leap year to come after 1978?”. The amount of people who answered 1982 was incredible. 

• 1 month later...

As has been mentioned over in the match day section, we're now in a league of four.

Hamilton (albeit with a game in hand against Rangers) on 6, Motherwell on 5, us on 4 and good old Dundee on 3.

The bright side is we're still easily within touching distance of the mighty Hamilton which is a blessing as we could have been stuck with Dundee for company.

There is some hope, the last 3 home games have shown SOME positives, according to many, but we have to start getting points.

Next up St Johnstone, unfortunately away where we've shown feck all.

Then Motherwell at home, GOT to get something from this game. 

Exciting. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

As has been mentioned over in the match day section, we're now in a league of four.
Hamilton (albeit with a game in hand against Rangers) on 6, Motherwell on 5, us on 4 and good old Dundee on 4.
The bright side is we're still easily within touching distance of the mighty Hamilton which is a blessing as we could have been stuck with Dundee for company.
There is some hope, the last 3 home games have shown SOME positives, according to many, but we have to start getting points.
I think Dundee are on 3pts mate.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Hamilton (albeit with a game in hand against Rangers) on 6, Motherwell on 5, us on 4 and good old Dundee on 4.

Even more exciting as Dundee are on 3:P

2 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

U beat me:lol: 

2 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Even more exciting as Dundee are on 3:P

Apologies gentlemen. :lol:

Hamilton (albeit with a game in hand against Rangers) on 6, Motherwell on 5, us on 4 and good old Dundee on 3.

Mostly agree - but not convinced the Fakes are so much better than us - despite the fact they took 3 points today with a 93rd minute winner. They were certainly the poorer side on every stat today.

We win the next 2 and it will be a miracle... but I live in hope... and what a difference that could make; but also knowing that we will sign better players at the next window...

I expect Hamilton to get thumped tomorrow and rack up some bad goal difference too..

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Mostly agree - but not convinced the Fakes are so much better than us - despite the fact they took 3 points today with a 93rd minute winner. They were certainly the poorer side on every stat today.

We win the next 2 and it will be a miracle... but I live in hope... and what a difference that could make; but also knowing that we will sign better players at the next window...

I expect Hamilton to get thumped tomorrow and rack up some bad goal difference too..

About St Johnstone, it's more the FACT we're shit away that worries me more than how good they are.

These are the last 2 games of the first quarter and, to date, only Dundee on the face of it, are more pish than us.

We could win both these games but we could lose both, that's unfortunately, where we are right now IMO. 

As long as we can stay within a few points of the bottom 4 or 5 clubs at Christmas then we will have a good as chance than the other clubs. Who out of the bottom clubs will have more £££££ to spend/waste than us ?  Stubbs has certainly  cost us plenty, but surely the McGinn money will cover than and gives us something to work with in January.