Kenny Miller Free Agent

On 8/20/2018 at 2:37 AM, oaksoft said:

There is no doubt Stubbs will be aware of Kenny's availability and I trust him to judge whether we should get him in.

Personally, I would love to see a striker of this quality at the club and not just for his goals. His ability, effort and attitude are superb and would be a very positive addition.

Sun has it that AS has opened talks. 

Would be happy if Miller signs, just as I would have been before he went to Livi. Experienced striker who is an example to the younger players of how to take care of yourself and prolong your career. Intelligent, still fit as a fiddle and with a point to prove.

A no brainer imo.

16 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Would be happy if Miller signs, just as I would have been before he went to Livi. Experienced striker who is an example to the younger players of how to take care of yourself and prolong your career. Intelligent, still fit as a fiddle and with a point to prove.

A no brainer imo.

Completely agree.

I think this is a huge stroke of luck if he falls into our lap like this.  

If we secure Miller I would ideally look for 3 more signings if that's in any way possible within our constraints. I think this would leave us pretty well set up.  

1) A solid, experienced Centre Half

2) Someone with pace to play wide-left

3) A marquee striker (Greg Stewart?) 

Millers best days are behind him - over the last season and a bit hes scored 6 goals in 30 games - a big NO IMO!

Club Season League National Cup League Cup Other[note 2] Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

2017–18[130] Scottish Premiership 18 3 2 0 1 1 2 1 23 5

Livingston 2018–19[129] Scottish Premiership 2 0 0 0 5 1 0 0 7 1
Career total 614 203 56 22 35 12 48 13 754 250

Apologies for the formatting disaster! :(

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Completely agree.

If we secure Miller I would ideally look for 3 more signings if that's in any way possible within our constraints. I think this would leave us pretty well set up.  

Stewart is still a possibility I think. The Hodson signing could allow us to move Coulson forward to play wide left. If Mackenzie can get over his injury issues he could provide the experience. Certainly can't see him leaving unless we pay him off due to his injury record, so Stubbs may have to stick with him.

Completely agree.
I agree except it's someone to play wide right, not left.

When he started at Livi, I remember thinking he could score the goals that would give them a fighting chance of staying up. I wasn't necessarily jealous, but I thought it was a sensible appointment by them. By the same token, I didn't want him as manager.

If, for example, we'd taken on a more experienced coach, and someone said Miller was going to be player/assistant, that would have been ideal. If he therefore wants to be just player, I think I'd be happy enough. Will he be a good influence, though, going from manager to just player? Would his automatic seniority in the squad put S McGinn's nose out of joint? Is it already out of joint anyway?

Last season Miller played only the equivalent of 16 games for Rangers in all competitions, with 5 goals and 5 assists. That ratio, extrapolated over a 38 game league season would lead to 23 goal involvements, be it goals or assists. Given he's probably unlikely to play every minute of every game, it would still equate to probably 15 goal involvements.

I don't think he's as past it as some are saying. Would certainly contribute if given the opportunity, over the course of a season.

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

When he started at Livi, I remember thinking he could score the goals that would give them a fighting chance of staying up. I wasn't necessarily jealous, but I thought it was a sensible appointment by them. By the same token, I didn't want him as manager.

If, for example, we'd taken on a more experienced coach, and someone said Miller was going to be player/assistant, that would have been ideal. If he therefore wants to be just player, I think I'd be happy enough. Will he be a good influence, though, going from manager to just player? Would his automatic seniority in the squad put S McGinn's nose out of joint? Is it already out of joint anyway?

I can't imagine that his hassle at Rangers or  his short player/ manager stint has been enjoyable. Turning out as a player for a pleasant stable club like ours might be a pleasure for the guy and rekindle his desire to get the baw in the net. I would be happy for AS to offer him a 1 season deal - usual post Rae caveat that he doesn't do commentary or social media on Rangers .

1 minute ago, magnus said:

I can't imagine that his hassle at Rangers or  his short player/ manager stint has been enjoyable. Turning out as a player for a pleasant stable club like ours might be a pleasure for the guy and rekindle his desire to get the baw in the net. I would be happy for AS to offer him a 1 season deal - usual post Rae caveat that he doesn't do commentary or social media on Rangers .

Yeah, that's true. The other thing being it will prevent his inevitable goals against us. <_<

10 minutes ago, magnus said:

Pity we couldn't say the same about some of our forum members. :whistle :P

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

God help us:(

Is Nacho Novo available?

In fairness, it would be absolutely humongous spadefulls of shits and giggles if he did sign and lines up against Livi on Saturday.

IF we are in for him, and IF he actually signed, and IF he started against Ferrantibank, and IF he scored the winner.... I’d need to leave the ground and head straight to Matalan Linwood / Elderslie / Paisley / Mordor... for emergency underpants, as I’d have soiled the ones I went to the game in.

:)

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Stephen McGinn doesn't strike me as a daft wee boy so I can't imagine his nose being out of joint. 

I would think he would welcome the experience, drive and desire that Miller would bring. 

Remember we're talking about a guy that has 69 Scotland caps, 18 Scotland goals. Has played for Celtic, Rangers (3 times), Premiership and Championship spells in England with Wolves, Derby and Cardiff. 

St. Mirren don't often get guys like that - even in the twilight of their career.

He looks in excellent physical shape and to maintain that to his age is a great example to youngsters. 

He's precisely the type of figure we need around the team at the moment. There's always a risk that it's a season too far for players as they get older but I'd be willing to take that risk on Miller. 

Edited by Maboza

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

A no brainer imo.

is this a case of it takes one to know one?  :lol:

30 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Stephen McGinn doesn't strike me as a daft wee boy so I can't imagine his nose being out of joint. 

I would think he would welcome the experience, drive and desire that Miller would bring. 

Remember we're talking about a guy that has 69 Scotland caps, 18 Scotland goals. Has played for Celtic, Rangers (3 times), Premiership and Championship spells in England with Wolves, Derby and Cardiff. 

St. Mirren don't often get guys like that - even in the twilight of their career.

He looks in excellent physical shape and to maintain that to his age is a great example to youngsters. 

He's precisely the type of figure we need around the team at the moment. There's always a risk that it's a season too far for players as they get older but I'd be willing to take that risk on Miller. 

Yeah, agree with all that. I'm firmly in the 'would sign' camp now.

Which is usually the point at which he rocks up at f**king Hearts or something.

As I mentioned in another thread Sir Fergie always wanted a strong backbone to his team. Experienced pros in keeper, centre half, centre midfield and centre forward. We have Sammy, maybe Big Mac and Captain Fantastic and Miller would complete the set so I would vote yes.