Kenny Miller Free Agent

19 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Hard to disagree with this. Not sure that Miller is what we need. His best days are clearly not in front of him. Would not a big centre forward, in the style of the lad Madsen, complement Cammy Smith and Danny Mullen better than another wee guy? Or would Miller displace Cammy or Danny? If so, which one?

Also, don't like the way Stubbs has been all over the media indicating his interest in Miller. Could be left with egg on his face. Surely he should have learned his lesson after talking in July about 'marquee signings'  which never materialised. Needs to go about his business quietly.

What was he supposed to say when asked the question? He said he didn't know, and would have to see what happens.

45 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

If it transpires that Stubbs has chased Gavin Reilly away only to be replace him with 38 year old Kenny Miller and our recent form continues I don't think I'll be making it a priority to get to many games while Stubbs is calling the shots. Even to talk about waiting to speak to Miller about signing and giving him time to settle his contractual stuff at Livingston doesn't suggest there are many other signings close to getting over the line. With under 10 days to go this is looking like one of our most clueless transfer windows ever and it was a key one to get right, or to at least sign 3 -5 solid  signings that worked out well and improved  the quality of what we had on top of the nucleus from last year's squad.

By "chased Gavin Reilly away" you mean "couldn't force him to sign the contract he'd been sitting on for a month"?

Here's an idea - why not give the manager you backing instead of finding fault with every single thing he does or doesn't do? It'll be a stretch, but give it a try. Pretend you want him to do well.

What was he supposed to say when asked the question? He said he didn't know, and would have to see what happens.

They are well and truly scraping the barrels.

The hatred some have for our manager already is crazy you would think we are quarter/half of the way into our season and still to win a league game.

44 minutes ago, Soctty said:

By "chased Gavin Reilly away" you mean "couldn't force him to sign the contract he'd been sitting on for a month"?

Here's an idea - why not give the manager you backing instead of finding fault with every single thing he does or doesn't do? It'll be a stretch, but give it a try. Pretend you want him to do well.

Did he not withdraw the contract offer before the deadline for Reilly, hence why I said chased him away. After the first week of transfer dealings where 2 and 3 year contracts were handed out we have succumbed to short-termism of loan deals and aspiring to sign a 38 year old striker, but hey ho, he's really fit for his age, like that's to be commended for someone taking home several £K per week last season at the international Rangers.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Did he not withdraw the contract offer before the deadline for Reilly, hence why I said chased him away. After the first week of transfer dealings where 2 and 3 year contracts were handed out we have succumbed to short-termism of loan deals and aspiring to sign a 38 year old striker, but hey ho, he's really fit for his age, like that's to be commended for someone taking home several £K per week last season at the international Rangers.

Dibble, your relentless efforts to demean the manager are really disappointing.

You, and BTB, are decent posters but the tedious posts reflecting a dislike, no matter what, for Stubbs are piss poor.

There's a small band who are of a similar view but they are dim and always look on the doom scenario season after season.

I did start a thread saying people had made their minds up about Stubbs as soon as he was named, I didn't think you would be on that bus. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So dim doesn't even remember what he said less than a day ago. :lol:

I see snake has reappeared................pity, still in the huff after the sin bin was "binned". :1eye

Another ramble from the the lowest common denominator .

You, and BTB, are decent posters but the tedious posts reflecting a dislike, no matter what, for Stubbs are piss poor.
There's a small band who are of a similar view but they are dim and always look on the doom scenario season after season.
I did start a thread saying people had made their minds up about Stubbs as soon as he was named, I didn't think you would be on that bus. 

You could add plenty to that list, the knives were out as soon as Stubbs signed.

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I don't think I've been unremittingly negative about Stubbs so far, it's been a bit mixed but overall I'd say acceptable. I'm keeping an open mind until after the Hamilton game when I'll deliver the definitive verdict on Stubbsy! 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Stubbs wasn't on my list of folks I'd like to see appointed, but we move on. I was very optimistic after watching us play Killie and by his statements after the game. I've followed St Mirren long enough not to expect a steady graph of progress and to know we often struggle against smaller teams in the cup and can remember many a depressing transfer window over the years. I've found the last month particularly hard going as we needed a good transfer window if we wanted to kick on and aim a bit higher than avoiding relegation this season - of course, if there was a way of accepting 10th spot right now and be guaranteed a place in the premiership in 1 year's time I'd sign on the dotted line straight away. All I sense at the minute are that things are not right behind the scenes, that we have been toiling all transfer window and really only landed 2 targets early on (Kellerman, now dispatched sooner than K. Miller at Livi, and Paul McGinn, whose replacement on a loan deal has just arrived!). When I was offline on holiday a few weeks ago I met a friend whose friend from school is one of the academy players. He asked me what I thought (just before we cuffed Dumbarton) and I said I was worried that we had a split dressing room, morale was low and things weren't working out with transfers, and he replied saying his pal in the U20's reckoned Stubbs was the opposite of Jack Ross and had no rapport with the players, he rarely spoke with them and yes a lot of last year's team didn't know where they stood with the new manager. Since that conversation, we thumped Dumbarton and beat Dundee in the league opener. While results might be broadly where we had expected this season, performances have been pretty poor and I do feel disillusioned about the number of English players we are signing who are "stepping up" to first team football or even full time football and the number of loanees - does it make a difference if we sign someone on a permanent 1 year deal compared with a 1 year loan? Perhaps not? Everything just looks really short-sighted at the minute 6 loan deals and counting and going public over interest in a 38 year old striker sacked as a player and as a manager inside 2 months from Livingston and still involved in a tribunal about his second disciplinary incident in 1 season at Ibrox under 2 separate managers. We even had our new signing crowing at his own press conference as our new signing about how good Kenny Miller is in training.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

It would have to be a first though.

Manager of a club on Sunday, leave that club (however that played out), and then line up as a player against them the following Saturday?

I would be surprised if such a chain of events has ever occurred before. A good pub quiz question, that's for sure.

The opposite happened with Threave Rovers. Davie Irons played for them in a Scottish Cup tie against Stenhousemuir that finished 2-2. By the time of the replay he was the Stenny manager!

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Stubbs wasn't on my list of folks I'd like to see appointed, but we move on. I was very optimistic after watching us play Killie and by his statements after the game. I've followed St Mirren long enough not to expect a steady graph of progress and to know we often struggle against smaller teams in the cup and can remember many a depressing transfer window over the years. I've found the last month particularly hard going as we needed a good transfer window if we wanted to kick on and aim a bit higher than avoiding relegation this season - of course, if there was a way of accepting 10th spot right now and be guaranteed a place in the premiership in 1 year's time I'd sign on the dotted line straight away. All I sense at the minute are that things are not right behind the scenes, that we have been toiling all transfer window and really only landed 2 targets early on (Kellerman, now dispatched sooner than K. Miller at Livi, and Paul McGinn, whose replacement on a loan deal has just arrived!). When I was offline on holiday a few weeks ago I met a friend whose friend from school is one of the academy players. He asked me what I thought (just before we cuffed Dumbarton) and I said I was worried that we had a split dressing room, morale was low and things weren't working out with transfers, and he replied saying his pal in the U20's reckoned Stubbs was the opposite of Jack Ross and had no rapport with the players, he rarely spoke with them and yes a lot of last year's team didn't know where they stood with the new manager. Since that conversation, we thumped Dumbarton and beat Dundee in the league opener. While results might be broadly where we had expected this season, performances have been pretty poor and I do feel disillusioned about the number of English players we are signing who are "stepping up" to first team football or even full time football and the number of loanees - does it make a difference if we sign someone on a permanent 1 year deal compared with a 1 year loan? Perhaps not? Everything just looks really short-sighted at the minute 6 loan deals and counting and going public over interest in a 38 year old striker sacked as a player and as a manager inside 2 months from Livingston and still involved in a tribunal about his second disciplinary incident in 1 season at Ibrox under 2 separate managers. We even had our new signing crowing at his own press conference as our new signing about how good Kenny Miller is in training.

My reply was shorter! :P

18 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

#paragraphs

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Forfuxsake Smokie, you've got Dibs posting a fecking Novel. :snore

Too long. I’d rather read one of faraway’s posts..... and that’s pretty low.

Can you summarise?

This is a well balanced post with valid enough points, I do agree that Hodson shouldn’t be talking about Miller at his press conference, however it’s quite a story (potentially in the making).

Forgetting the Sevco case and Livingston mess and purely judging him as a player I personally think it’s a no brainer, if he can stay fit he could maybe score 10 goals for us this season.

Lastly if we could do it in time it would certainly brighten up this Saturday!!