Kenny Miller Free Agent

Personally I think Kenny Miller is worth the risk - especially if we can agree some initial short term or 'pay as you play' deal.

He appears to have kept himself fit and has a goal scoring pedigree - which is exactly what we need as a short term fix.

In our games against teams of similar level to ourselves we will create chances and I think he would be perfect to finish them. He won't work miracles against the top 6 of course but that is not our fight this year.

The only risk for me is his apparent recent trend to cause trouble behind closed doors. Not convinced on this though - we all know that Rangers were a basket case at the time with many strange communications and claims in various areas - probably intended as  misdirections to fans and a way to get out of some financial obligations vis a vis contracts since they were skint but had to maintain the billy big baws illusion.

In terms of Livingston - there seems to be an almost open secret of hidden management structures whereby the assistant manager is actually calling the shots and undermining/attempting to control the manager. If KM only realised the extent of this after he signed up it may be no surprise he kicked up a fuss and got booted.

I say 'almost' open secret as it is hinted at but not explained - if anyone knows the gossip - could they share?

If Miller joins up, it will have been a bit of opportunist business on Stubbs' part.

Regardless of what you think of Miller signing, it does perhaps suggest that there were few other viable options on the table, and that has to be a concern.

Either that, or Stubbs considers Miller to be a better fit than any other potential addition he had been considering. Again, that wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Of course, it is possible that there are other irons in the fire in addition to Miller.

Ach well, all will become clear within the next week or so.

22 minutes ago, Drew said:

If Miller joins up, it will have been a bit of opportunist business on Stubbs' part.

Regardless of what you think of Miller signing, it does perhaps suggest that there were few other viable options on the table, and that has to be a concern.

Either that, or Stubbs considers Miller to be a better fit than any other potential addition he had been considering. Again, that wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Of course, it is possible that there are other irons in the fire in addition to Miller.

Ach well, all will become clear within the next week or so.

As Stubbs said it could go on for weeks before Miller sorts out things with Livie. Being a free agent he can sign anytime. 

Without re-printing here the whole of Dibble's long post, it pretty much sums up what I've been feeling about our progress this summer. The failure to bring in players who are well-known names with experience of the Scottish game was disappointing, but Jack Ross put together a pretty good team with some players we didn't know, so we shouldn't rush to judgement on that front.

Yes, results haven't been too bad but performances have been variable. We played well against Killie and Dumbarton, but were fortunate to beat Dundee, who missed a number of good chances and gifted us a goal. The performances at Ibrox and Pittodrie gave cause for concern. It looked as  though the team had decided beforehand that they didn't have a chance and wouldn't be able to compete.

As for the manager, opinions remain divided. Dibbles says he's heard that he doesn't communicate with the players, while the new loan player from Ibrox says he's come to the club because he's heard what a good coach he is. He certainly seems a bit diffident in his post-match interviews, but maybe we were spoiled by JR who was very strong in that department. In any case, the manager won't be judged by his interviews, but by performances and results in games. I wasn't sure about his appointment but now that he's here, I'm happy to let him get on with the job and see how things turn out. It's still too early to judge him, so let's back him as much as we can and see what happens.  That's the job of supporters.  COYS!!

3 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Without re-printing here the whole of Dibble's long post, it pretty much sums up what I've been feeling about our progress this summer. The failure to bring in players who are well-known names with experience of the Scottish game was disappointing, but Jack Ross put together a pretty good team with some players we didn't know, so we shouldn't rush to judgement on that front.

Yes, results haven't been too bad but performances have been variable. We played well against Killie and Dumbarton, but were fortunate to beat Dundee, who missed a number of good chances and gifted us a goal. The performances at Ibrox and Pittodrie gave cause for concern. It looked as  though the team had decided beforehand that they didn't have a chance and wouldn't be able to compete.

As for the manager, opinions remain divided. Dibbles says he's heard that he doesn't communicate with the players, while the new loan player from Ibrox says he's come to the club because he's heard what a good coach he is. He certainly seems a bit diffident in his post-match interviews, but maybe we were spoiled by JR who was very strong in that department. In any case, the manager won't be judged by his interviews, but by performances and results in games. I wasn't sure about his appointment but now that he's here, I'm happy to let him get on with the job and see how things turn out. It's still too early to judge him, so let's back him as much as we can and see what happens.  That's the job of supporters.  COYS!!

Well balanced view and post. 

15 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Did he not withdraw the contract offer before the deadline for Reilly, hence why I said chased him away. After the first week of transfer dealings where 2 and 3 year contracts were handed out we have succumbed to short-termism of loan deals and aspiring to sign a 38 year old striker, but hey ho, he's really fit for his age, like that's to be commended for someone taking home several £K per week last season at the international Rangers.

Ah, the deadline. Is this you making it up as you go along or do you have a hotline to Reilly?

Reilly had ample time to sign his second, improved contract offer. Nobody chased him away - he loitered without intent for far too long and we had to move on.

Here's an idea, why not get behind the team and the manager, rather than trying to undermine every move Stubbs makes?

8 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I said I will most likely be going less often because as far as I can see Stubbs has blown / is blowing our budget on players who are no better than the ones he is getting rid of, or the ones JR had already decided wouldn't get new contracts.

Fair enough but I bet you don’t go any less. :P

11 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Yet to be convinced by him, Mullen has impressed me more.

I'd say it's a bit early to make a judgement on Brock, his opening two games have been away to two of the three toughest grounds. And he was responsible for the Rangers red card. The match v Livi will be a better indicator of how good he is/could be.

25 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'd say it's a bit early to make a judgement on Brock, his opening two games have been away to two of the three toughest grounds. And he was responsible for the Rangers red card. The match v Livi will be a better indicator of how good he is/could be.

Agreed.  think he could be a handful. Greg Stewart would be great and Brock would certainly seem to relish the thought of playing alongside him but if not to be then the big man might work just fine as an alternative to or alongside Danny and / or Kenny M. 

Edited by magnus

What’s clear is we need more strikers. We need a pool of 4.

We have Brock-Madsen and Mullen. Cooke seems completely out the picture and will probably leave before the end of the month so we can discount him.

Therefore we need two more. Do I think Kenny Miller will play 30 games and score 15+ goals if he signs for us? No. However I do think he could be a useful squad player who could contribute on and off the field.

Mullen and Brock-Madsen are both relatively young guys and unproven at this level. They would benefit from having an old war horse beside them.

55 minutes ago, TopCat said:

What’s clear is we need more strikers. We need a pool of 4.

We have Brock-Madsen and Mullen. Cooke seems completely out the picture and will probably leave before the end of the month so we can discount him.

Therefore we need two more. Do I think Kenny Miller will play 30 games and score 15+ goals if he signs for us? No. However I do think he could be a useful squad player who could contribute on and off the field.

Mullen and Brock-Madsen are both relatively young guys and unproven at this level. They would benefit from having an old war horse beside them.

Didn't Cooke get a decent review in the reserve game the other day, indications were he's getting fitter and, therefore, better? 

Think it through....?

if you can decide which you prefer, then what makes the most sense financially as well for football???

Sign 38 year old Miller, no doubt wanting a decent wage. (Given his age he will get injured, only played a few games in the last year, three goals?

Sign Greg Stewart on loan, again will want a decent wage, fit, good form in this league, knows where the goal is?

Sign Shanks, transfer fee, decent wage, goal machine, good resale value?

me... i would plump to invest in Shanks, and get goals, as well as a good sell on fee in the future. The other two would cost as much in wages, with no sell on option.

9 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

Anybody want tae buy a wee knitted Fartaway voodoo doll? Comes wi a black an white strip an a set of 12 knitting needles tae insert in as mony places as yi so choose. Only 50 quid.

Also available in other models.....the Wendy, the Isma (ma favourite), the wee Dougie,  the Shull, an the Fartybastard. 

"take that ya bassa"...........

Or the HMB doll. Pull the string and then try and work out what the fck its saying:huh:

Did you just make this up in your head?

Cooke started against Spartans. Was awful and rightly subbed off.

Since then his only appearance was a 10 minute sub when we were 4-0 down to Aberdeen. He was an unused sub when we drew 0-0 with a Queen’s Park, despite us only having used 2 subs when the game finished.

Ross Stewart was consistently picked ahead of him, then Ross Stewart was sold.

If Stubbs does rate him and sees him as the answer to our striking issues, he’s doing a great job of hiding it.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Since then his only appearance was a 10 minute sub when we were 4-0 down to Aberdeen. He was an unused sub when we drew 0-0 with a Queen’s Park, despite us only having used 2 subs when the game finished.

If Stubbs does rate him and sees him as the answer to our striking issues, he’s doing a great job of hiding it.

Cook had a good game in the reserves, would suggest given time to adjust to full time football and coaching he will come good. 

45 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Maybe Stubbs wants to ease him in?

As you mention, he's been involved in all the matchday squads and played in our most recent game.

He also scored in the last reserve game and, by all accounts, played well.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Think it through....?

if you can decide which you prefer, then what makes the most sense financially as well for football???

Sign 38 year old Miller, no doubt wanting a decent wage. (Given his age he will get injured, only played a few games in the last year, three goals?

Sign Greg Stewart on loan, again will want a decent wage, fit, good form in this league, knows where the goal is?

me... i would plump to invest in Shanks, and get goals, as well as a good sell on fee in the future. The other two would cost as much in wages, with no sell on option.

You want to spunk £250k on a player who has already played for us and been released?

This is why you and fans like you should be kept well away from the reins of power once we own the club in a few years. :lol:

Maybe Stubbs wants to ease him in?
As you mention, he's been involved in all the matchday squads and played in our most recent game.
He also scored in the last reserve game and, by all accounts, played well.

Well he’s in the match day squad cause we have no one else. When Stubbs would rather leave him on the bench than put him on in a game where we needed a goal, it doesn’t exactly show a great deal of faith.

I expect us to sign two strikers between now and the end of the month and Cooke to be put out on loan.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Think it through....?

I can't agree with you on Shankland.

Shankland is so far unproven in the SPL. His last spell with us wasn't exactly gleaming with greatness (compare to that how Cammy Smith played when coming on loan, who if needed I would have been happy to see a fee go on). Paying out on second unproven player (with Heaton yet to have made his mark) is risky from a club like us.

Greg Stewart is proven at this level. We need players who know what it takes in this league, especially among the many loanees we have. This would be my pick depending on wage demands.

Kenny Miller - with you on this. 3 goals last season, can he still do a job? I'm not convinced. Plus his last year or two has been more busting up with management than busting the goal.