Kenny Miller Free Agent

Guest TPAFKATS
If he carries on as he is doing, gets a premiership club then he'll be in line for scotland caps. Something Zico found hard to get!
You seem to have missed out that he'd also need to be a successful goalscorer in the top flight. Something Zico was good at.
But hey, if yer auntie had baws...

Today this thread has already seen someone try and draw comparison between Shankland and King Kenny. Are you now adding to it by comparing Shankland to Zico?

Oh dear. You are comparing zico with Kenny Dalglish.

He was good, granted, but to make that comparison Zico would need to have played for Liverpool, won the European Cup, won 100 caps for Scotland to do that.

But, hey ho. If yer auntie had baws.

:1eye

13 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

And made a tidy profit on a less than originally fancied player from a diddy club!

I may have missed your point here LPM but didn't we outbid Celtic for the "less than originally fancied player" and paid a Scottish record transfer fee for a player transferring between Scottish clubs!!

2 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I may have missed your point here LPM but didn't we outbid Celtic for the "less than originally fancied player" and paid a Scottish record transfer fee for a player transferring between Scottish clubs!!

We did outbid celtic, dont think anyone is questioning that?

sold him on to Aberdeen after he paid us back handsomely in goals!

the point is a few posters are disparaging Shanklands origins, and where he's scoring his goals. However the legend that is Zico came from humbler origins, and went on to be a club legend here, and in Aberdeen. As indeed Morgan who managed to break inti the full Scotland set up on the back of his exploits in the championship.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

We did outbid celtic, dont think anyone is questioning that?

sold him on to Aberdeen after he paid us back handsomely in goals!

the point is a few posters are disparaging Shanklands origins, and where he's scoring his goals. However the legend that is Zico came from humbler origins, and went on to be a club legend here, and in Aberdeen. As indeed Morgan who managed to break inti the full Scotland set up on the back of his exploits in the championship.

Don't really disagree with any of that although I'm not too sure I'd take him back based more on what appeared to be poor attitude towards his profession than anything else. That said I have no idea as to what was going on in his life at the time so maybe being harsh.

I do think you were "at it" though suggesting that a player that we outbid one of the biggest clubs in Scotland for could be described as a "less than originally fancied player"!!

The only reason he was even at Clydebank was that Hearts released him due to an eye problem and after a time not playing football at all due to his problem he went back to the juniors where Bankies picked him up!!

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

Don't really disagree with any of that although I'm not too sure I'd take him back based more on what appeared to be poor attitude towards his profession than anything else. That said I have no idea as to what was going on in his life at the time so maybe being harsh.

I do think you were "at it" though suggesting that a player that we outbid one of the biggest clubs in Scotland for could be described as a "less than originally fancied player"!!

The only reason he was even at Clydebank was that Hearts released him due to an eye problem and after a time not playing football at all due to his problem he went back to the juniors where Bankies picked him up!!

I think you make my point perfectly highlighting he got his 'eye problem' as a consequence if an 'incident' on a bus which caused  Hearts to decide to release him. He then went to the juniors, Clydebank, us and the dons. Seems Zico had an 'attitude' issue that got him released from a club too!

cheers bud.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think you make my point perfectly highlighting he got his 'eye problem' as a consequence if an 'incident' on a bus which caused  Hearts to decide to release him. He then went to the juniors, Clydebank, us and the dons. Seems Zico had an 'attitude' issue that got him released from a club too!

cheers bud.

Now explain the "less than originally fancied" bit...……………...I've said I agree with most of what you say but just admit you were at it by adding bits in just to try and make your point stronger!!

6 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

in an ideal world , it would be nice to sign Polworth and Shankland  , and put McShane , Cooke and McPherson out on loan.

One or more clubs are going to test Ayr's resolve with a bid for Shanks before the window closes hoping they will 'take the money' and replace him, rather than see him sign a PCA in January and move on then for a nominal amount, or nowt at season end.

i had heard we were very interested, but backed off when Ayr put their value on him. Interesting to see if we are one of the bidders at around £175k in the next week?

One or more clubs are going to test Ayr's resolve with a bid for Shanks before the window closes hoping they will 'take the money' and replace him, rather than see him sign a PCA in January and move on then for a nominal amount, or nowt at season end.
i had heard we were very interested, but backed off when Ayr put their value on him. Interesting to see if we are one of the bidders at around £175k in the next week?
Your hoping.

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

lol you and Shankland. Surly you know our club are not going to pay £250, 000 yet you keep banging the same door :huh:

2 minutes ago, pod said:
14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Your hoping.

He is worth a lot more to Ayr than 175k they have a chance of promotion and they have a sugar daddy. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I know that I’ve raised the point before, but I can’t see us shelling out £175k for any player. I do get the fact that Shanks has managed to turn around all of his fitness issues and that he could well turn out to be a sound investment for any club willing to take the risk. He’s always been a natural finisher for me and a player that I would take back in a heartbeat. 

But it would be a huge risk financially for a club operating at our level to pay that kind of fee, given that he might not even be interested in coming back.

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

lol you and Shankland. Surly you know our club are not going to pay £250, 000 yet you keep banging the same door :huh:

I know we are interested, and that if he goes it will be £200k or less, likely around £150k and a player. He will be bid for, the only question is will we be back in?

imagine the meltdown come Christmas if we are still struggling for goals and the likes of Dundee have left us rooted with Livi at the bottom on the back of Shanks goals for them??? £150k will look like an absolute snip then!

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He is worth a lot more to Ayr than 175k they have a chance of promotion and they have a sugar daddy. 

He's not really, but we will see soon enough. If a bid like that comes in the lad will (as players do these days) agitate for the move and they'll have to sell, or risk him downing tools.

7 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

I know that I’ve raised the point before, but I can’t see us shelling out £175k for any player. I do get the fact that Shanks has managed to turn around all of his fitness issues and that he could well turn out to be a sound investment for any club willing to take the risk. He’s always been a natural finisher for me and a player that I would take back in a heartbeat. 

But it would be a huge risk financially for a club operating at our level to pay that kind of fee, given that he might not even be interested in coming back.

If you had to pick with working with either Stubbzo or McCann..?