Welcome Lee Hodson ( loan )

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I used to think that way, and I can see the argument for having players fully signed up and committed, but increasingly, I don't think it really matters.

I imagine a player like Hodson, for example, will have plenty of motivation to prove a point or two. Whether he wants to re-establish himself in the tribute act set up, is trying to secure a permanent move to Saints, or is simply wanting to put himself in the shop window, it's all good.

That could well be preferable to a player coming in on a permanent contract who is quite happy to have a deal for a couple of years and that is his main aim.

I also mentioned in the other loan deal thread that it opens up markets that we could never realistically expect to access otherwise.  If (a big if, granted) we manage to bring in Johnson from Shellick, we can rest assured that we would never have got a sniff had it not been a loan. Likewise numerous others we have had on loan (at least initially).

It certainly gives us opportunities to get players that there’s a wee bit of a buzz about their future. Willock and Jones seem well thought of. Dummett and Newton did well. However, who are the most highly regarded Saints? It’s your Shuggies, your Thommohawks, your DVZs, your Morgans, your Fitzys.... I know it’s part of the game, I will need to accept it.

I have no idea who, here, down South, or abroad is without a club, affordable, would come here, would be wanted by Stubbs. That’s Stubbs, Fitzy and GLS’ job. I am perfectly within my rights to hold a view that a good balance between signed players and loanees is preferable to going too loanee-heavy. As someone else said, it could be termed short-termisim, and requires an almost total rebuild season after season. If that rebuilding goes like the one we are going through from Ross to Stubbs, then it will be painful.

Correct it is Stubbs job so let him get on with it stop bitching like so many others on here if that means he needs to rebuild for next season aswell then so be it he will be in a better position to get people on pre contracts next year that we missed the boat this year due to the manager situation.

We are never a club that will go a season without some sort of rebuilding.

Makes no difference if we sign players on 1 year loans or take gambles on free agents floating about just now on 1 year deals

I’d rather Stubbs makes that judgement because it’s his job and managerial future that’s on the line.

Loan signings have played a huge part in any success we’ve had in recent years yet some people still look at loans as a negative thing who care if it’s 2 or 10 if we get a successful season then it’s bloody worth it.

Just now, buddies1877 said:

Correct it is Stubbs job so let him get on with it stop bitching like so many others on here if that means he needs to rebuild for next season aswell then so be it he will be in a better position to get people on pre contracts next year that we missed the boat this year due to the manager situation.

Makes no difference if we sign players on 1 year loans or take gambles on free agents floating about just now on 1 year deals

I’d rather Stubbs makes that judgement because it’s his job and managerial future that’s on the line.

Loan signings have played a huge part in any success we’ve had in recent years yet some people still look at loans as a negative thing who care if it’s 2 or 10 if we get a successful season then it’s bloody worth it.

Bitching about it? Saying you understand it’s part of the modern game, but your personal preference is for a balance of loanees and signed players - like Samson, McGinn, Magennis etc?

Aye, whatever. 

49 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It certainly gives us opportunities to get players that there’s a wee bit of a buzz about their future. Willock and Jones seem well thought of. Dummett and Newton did well. However, who are the most highly regarded Saints? It’s your Shuggies, your Thommohawks, your DVZs, your Morgans, your Fitzys.... I know it’s part of the game, I will need to accept it.

^^^^^ quotes a player we had on loan as an exampke of a player we didn't have on loan.

:1eye

9 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Give it a f**king rest will you, people are allowed to post their opinions on here without the Allan Stubbs Positivity Police pulling them up every time. 

2 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

Welcome on board Lee, not what I would class as a "marquee" or eye opener signing but welcome anyway. He'll probably start at right back against Livi in place of PM our best player last week, it's the type of thing Stubbs would do!

Why is it the type of thing Stubbs would do? Has he done that before or are you just being negative for no particular reason other than that you don't like the manager?

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Give it a f**king rest will you, people are allowed to post their opinions on here without the Allan Stubbs Positivity Police pulling them up every time. 

The Alan Stubbs Positivity Police are a requirement now that we have the Alan Stubbs Needlessly Negative Nobheads in operation...

1 hour ago, buddies1877 said:

Il post what I want to post if you don’t like it ignore it you f**king tosser

Sage advice wee man, could you maybe extend this new found love of free speech to other St Mirreb fans then? Cheers. 

44 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Wee man lol

Listen to yourself you f**king bell end

And no if I want to point out when someone talking shite posting needless negative pish then il continue to.

I see the quality of debate is rising rapidly within the B&W pages..............................

I often wonder what the inventor of the internet had in mind when he opened Pandora's Box?

23 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I see the quality of debate is rising rapidly within the B&W pages..............................

I often wonder what the inventor of the internet had in mind when he opened Pandora's Box?

Freedom of information ,opinion and debate..... but then this site started ....

Edited by DougJamie

I spoke to a Rangers fan last night, a sensible level headed bloke (I know but they do have a few) who reckons Hodson is a decent player who will do well for us.

He did say all his best games for Rangers were at right back though where he apparently looks much more comfortable.

Remains to be seen how he goes. Like everyone else he deserves a chance and our full support.

I spoke to a Rangers fan last night, a sensible level headed bloke (I know but they do have a few) who reckons Hodson is a decent player who will do well for us.
He did say all his best games for Rangers were at right back though where he apparently looks much more comfortable.
Remains to be seen how he goes. Like everyone else he deserves a chance and our full support.
I spoke to the other one and he said as much.

He said about 25% of his games have been against Celtic which puts his goals against record into context.

Welcome Lee.

17 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Cammy Smith was a loanee. He’s now in his third season with us.

Harry Davis was another loanee who signed on for another season. Paul McGowan was with us for a few seasons after signing on loan.

Gavin Reillly was a permanent signing. He was away after a season. Jim Kellerman was another permanent signing, as was Myles Hippolyte.

I don't think I've ever known a poster on this forum ever to post such an exquisite balance of sense and shite.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is in the sense category. :D

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Stop exaggerating you. We've only ever had one of all those players.

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don't think I've ever known a poster on this forum ever to post such an exquisite balance of sense and shite.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is in the sense category. :D

Isabella Duke was similar, if I remember correctly. :rolleyes: