Welcome Lee Hodson ( loan )

8 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Another loan why not sign him?

You could easily flip that question.

Does it really matter? Other than having the option to play him in one more ge (against sevco), I can't see what odds it makes.

Just now, Dave The Buddie said:

2 at least. This is our 7th loan signing. Many signed 1st team players do we have?

Yes, sorry, two games right enough.

Still, in the grand scheme, I'm not sure it really matters a great deal.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

It doesn't exactly help build a team for the next two or three years. Short termism.

It's still August and we already know these players will be gone at the end of the season.

2 at least. This is our 7th loan signing. Many signed 1st team players do we have?

Would you rather we gave a 1 year deal to another tonet or puri to name a few.

I couldn’t care less if the rest of our transfers in this year are loans if they are the best players available to us at this time to help us improve the squad.

Hodson looks a good signing can play right and left back only 26 surplus to requirements at rangers so if all goes well we could even get him in on permanent deal when his contract expires.

Welcome to the club lee

It doesn't exactly help build a team for the next two or three years. Short termism.
It's still August and we already know these players will be gone at the end of the season.

Cammy Smith was a loanee. He’s now in his third season with us.

Harry Davis was another loanee who signed on for another season. Paul McGowan was with us for a few seasons after signing on loan.

Gavin Reillly was a permanent signing. He was away after a season. Jim Kellerman was another permanent signing, as was Myles Hippolyte.

34 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

At this level, that is often the way of it. We can give lads like Erhahon a 3 year deal, and the V9 guys a couple of years, but that tends to be about it.

Remember, agents seem to hold sway nowadays.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I raised this a few days ago, how I’d like to see fully signed, St Mirren employed players. A mix of loanees and signed players. I feel we are going too far down the loanee route.

1 hour ago, buddies1877 said:

Hodson looks a good signing can play right and left back only 26 surplus to requirements at rangers so if all goes well we could even get him in on permanent deal when his contract expires.

Not according to some.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Thorizaar said:

.It's still August and we already know these players will be gone at the end of the season.

25 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Who currently without a club do you think we should bring in then any names?

I have no idea who, here, down South, or abroad is without a club, affordable, would come here, would be wanted by Stubbs. That’s Stubbs, Fitzy and GLS’ job. Players agents job, and the job of any scouts we have. I am perfectly within my rights, without naming individual players,  to hold a view that a good balance between signed players and loanees is preferable to going too loanee-heavy. As someone else said, it could be termed short-termism, and requires an almost total rebuild season after season. If that rebuilding goes like the one we are going through from Ross to Stubbs, then it will be painful to some degree or another.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Welcome. Best wishes. Just for one moment I thought his name was an anagram of Sod Loanee.

If he doesn't do the business it could be "He's on dole".

Anyway.

Welcome Lee. Hope it works out for both parties.

Edited by stlucifer

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I raised this a few days ago, how I’d like to see fully signed, St Mirren employed players. A mix of loanees and signed players. I feel we are going too far down the loanee route.

I used to think that way, and I can see the argument for having players fully signed up and committed, but increasingly, I don't think it really matters.

I imagine a player like Hodson, for example, will have plenty of motivation to prove a point or two. Whether he wants to re-establish himself in the tribute act set up, is trying to secure a permanent move to Saints, or is simply wanting to put himself in the shop window, it's all good.

That could well be preferable to a player coming in on a permanent contract who is quite happy to have a deal for a couple of years and that is his main aim.

I also mentioned in the other loan deal thread that it opens up markets that we could never realistically expect to access otherwise.  If (a big if, granted) we manage to bring in Johnson from Shellick, we can rest assured that we would never have got a sniff had it not been a loan. Likewise numerous others we have had on loan (at least initially).

1 hour ago, Thorizaar said:

Actually.... we don't know that (IMO).  What we know is that if they do the business then we should be able to offer contracts to players we know.