Loan Signings

Makes absolutely no difference. Not sure why anyone thinks it would.

These players will be as desperate to stay in the squad, win new deals or a decent move as any permanent player.

In fact, I reckon loan players will be hungrier.

The exception is where we think there is a reasonable chance of a fee.

Edited by oaksoft

Obviously there are pros and cons. I agree with Oaky that they should be hungry and hopefully that continues in the latter part of the season if we’re baw deep in a relegation battle.

The downside is that if they play really well we probably don’t get to retain them as they either go back to parent clubs or move to somewhere else for more money.

That being said it definitely seems to be the way it’s going for clubs of our size and resources so we just get on with it.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Makes absolutely no difference. Not sure why anyone thinks it would.

These players will be as desperate to stay in the squad, win new deals or a decent move as any permanent player.

In fact, I reckon loan players will be hungrier.

The exception is where we think there is a reasonable chance of a fee.

I go with this view. A potential added bonus might be being able to tie up the best of these on contracts. 

I welcome all new signings and give them all a fair go in the stripes. Doesn’t matter if I prefer longer term permanent sigings so we can try to build something beyond the next 8 months. If they do a Dummett or Newton and contribute, that’s fine.

I think most people understand 2 or possibly 3 loan players in which nearly every club has in the Premiership but 6 and possibly more is a little extreme

Rangers had 7 loans last year 4 this year, Celtic had 4 last year they are two of the biggest teams in the country with budgets where they can go out and buy players.

Aberdeen also had 6 last year

But seemingly to some we are too good for loanees.

Really doesn't matter.

A lot of people seem to forget the football isn't cycles of multiple years for players/coaches to be on one team. Apart from the top level, where the money means they can have massive amounts of depth and players tied up for multiple years. Now coaches and players will be on the move close to once a year, with any managers needing to build an entire team every summer.

You need to use

• Transfers, although we've paid for one transfer I'd very much doubt we'd sign more than one player a year for any sizable fee
  • Pre-Contract Agreement rule; something we've got two players out of, one already away from the club, and can be a struggle of clubs our size to budget 6 months ahead, due to all the variables.
  • Wait until players are out of contract, and hope your offer is better than whatever else they are getting offered
  • Loans, low-risk potential high reward. Sign players from bigger clubs who need football, if they are good they get their move on if they're bad we can send them back to their parent club early. Ideally, they do well, then we get the chance to keep them using the two methods above like happened with Cammy Smith. The only thing you're potentially going to miss out on with loans is transfer fees.

I quite like the use of loans, they offer a lot more flexibility for finances than a straight contract, with the parent club potentially paying part of the wages. They've served us pretty well the last 10 years or so, and seen quite a few players stay to play here. Carey, McGowan and Smith being examples. I'd go as far as saying the majority of the better players we've had in recent history have been loan signings.

Rangers had 7 loans last year 4 this year, Celtic had 4 last year they are two of the biggest teams in the country with budgets where they can go out and buy players.

Aberdeen also had 6 last year

But seemingly to some we are too good for loanees.

Name them? According to this report roughly the same time. Aberdeen 3, Celtic 2 & Rangers 3. The clubs mentioned took on a couple of loan signings in January but only after they released or signed up them permanently. Scottish Premier League In & Out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40605440

Nobody is saying we are too good for them but asking is six in one transfer window too much? Of course we have had great success in the loan market but we have never brought six in one window.

39 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:
 Name them? According to this report roughly the same time. Aberdeen 3, Celtic 2 & Rangers 3. The clubs mentioned took on a couple of loan signings in January but only after they released or signed up them permanently. Scottish Premier League In & Out 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40605440

Nobody is saying we are too good for them but asking is six in one transfer window too much? Of course we have had great success in the loan market but we have never brought six in one window.

IMG_1534800568.906791.thumb.jpg.0d18e195746a3f21ff833ea316afa665.jpg

IMG_1534800432.681857.jpg

AE3748C0-1733-4D54-8698-1C75238BD5F4.jpeg

Edited by buddies1877

IMG_1534800568.906791.thumb.jpg.0d18e195746a3f21ff833ea316afa665.jpgIMG_1534800576.291320.thumb.jpg.ee6a1c88bfd71c1a44cc9481030ca41f.jpgIMG_1534800583.966486.thumb.jpg.5165f32e92973325082ef7e51cee282a.jpg

Thanks for the info but Rangers never had more than 4 loan signings at any one time. They signed Declan John permanently. Namane got punted after 5 months. Celtic has options to purchase 2 of them at the end of the season and I could make cases for the Aberdeen players with McLean etc.

We have took 6 signings all at the one time to play in the 1st team. That’s not to say we are finished there.

Thanks for the info but Rangers never had more than 4 loan signings at any one time. They signed Declan John permanently. Namane got punted after 5 months. Celtic has options to purchase 2 of them at the end of the season and I could make cases for the Aberdeen players with McLean etc.

We have took 6 signings all at the one time to play in the 1st team. That’s not to say we are finished there.

I certainly hope we are not finished their still need to strengthen certain positions.

And I don’t really care how many players teams had on loan at any point I was just pointing out that clubs in our league that have the budget to go out and buy players still go into the loan market for more than 1 or 2.

if I had the choice of choosing between six season long loan signings or paying £75k for a non league player and putting him on a three year contract , I would say loan signings is the way ahead.

This boy have not been given a good run out to judge him so quickly is silly.

Fully expect him to get his chance over the coming season then get judged.

I certainly hope we are not finished their still need to strengthen certain positions.

And I don’t really care how many players teams had on loan at any point I was just pointing out that clubs in our league that have the budget to go out and buy players still go into the loan market for more than 1 or 2.

I agree we should use the loan market but unlike Celtic and Rangers who can sign them. If we have a successful loan player he will go to a bigger club or challenge with his parent side the following season. If this happens with our 6 loan players which I doubt but if it does most of them won’t want to return meaning we have a massive hole in our playing squad along with contract expires.

Surely 2 or 3 maximum is sensible?

I agree we should use the loan market but unlike Celtic and Rangers who can sign them. If we have a successful loan player he will go to a bigger club or challenge with his parent side the following season. If this happens with our 6 loan players which I doubt but if it does most of them won’t want to return meaning we have a massive hole in our playing squad along with contract expires.

Surely 2 or 3 maximum is sensible?

Cammy Smith most recently who we had on loan then signed permanent and we have contracts expiring every year are you new to supporting St Mirren?

Harry Davis and Gavin Reilly had successful season with us on permanent deals but have moved on they may as well been on 1 year loan deals shows it makes no difference.

No as many as we need/can afford to help us have a successful season.

You trying to say if we got 10 loanees in and finished top 6 you still wouldn’t be happy?

I'm not keen on it, don't mind 1 or 2 but 6 I think is too many but if we stay up and all the loanees play their part then I might just come back to this thread and delete my comment.
I think I remember fans of other teams being snooty about us having loanees in our league cup winning team.....f**kem that's what I say.