Love Street,s first set of floodlights

Can anyone confirm where we got the first set of floodlights for Love Street , and where they eventually ended up when we replaced them during the 77/78 season ?

I,ve sort of heard that the floodlights  originally came to Love Street as part of the deal which took Willie Telfer to Rangers , and that the floodlights were once used at Ibrox ( which might make sense as that coincides with the first floodlit game at Love Street ) , and when the new lights were installed at Love  Street in 1977/78 I thought the old ones  found their way to Arbroath  as part of the deal that took Jimmy Bone to Paisley .

So can anyone confirm that either of these stories are true .

I think they came from Ibrox and for some reason I thought they went to Firs park East Stirling?

But it was a long time ago so not sure I can trust my memory:lol:

Edited by Danny
spelling error

Our original lights did indeed come from ib*ox.They were first used in the Scottish Cuo tie v Peebles Rovers in 1959.The biggest problem with lights was our proximity to Renfrew Airport meaning the height and brightness of them had to be kept to a minimum.

No idea where the old lights went to.

2n857ko.jpg

20 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Didn't they go the Greenock and are still there 'in storage' gathering rust and dust. Or was that just a tall tale?

Above posts would suggest: 

Original floodlights - 1959 - 1977/8

Replacement floodlights - 1977/8-2009  (these were the ones sold to Morton)

31 minutes ago, HSS said:

Our original lights did indeed come from ib*ox.They were first used in the Scottish Cuo tie v Peebles Rovers in 1959.The biggest problem with lights was our proximity to Renfrew Airport meaning the height and brightness of them had to be kept to a minimum.

No idea where the old lights went to.

2n857ko.jpg

those lights look similar to how they were set up at Love Street , wonder if the had the same issues with airport traffic .

38 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

those lights look similar to how they were set up at Love Street , wonder if the had the same issues with airport traffic .

Possibly as they have never had the Pylon style lights.They have always preferred roof lighting for some reason.

53 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

I remember the first ame under the replacement lights in the 70's.  It made such a difference to matches under lights that I still prefer a evening k.o. to this day.  (I resisted saying the difference was between night and day!)

What was the 1st game?

If I remember correctly it was meant to be the Liverpool game but they weren't ready in time.

I also remember an experiment putting yellow numbers on the strips to see if they shown up better than red ones.

They didn't.

11 minutes ago, HSS said:

What was the 1st game?

If I remember correctly it was meant to be the Liverpool game but they weren't ready in time.

I also remember an experiment putting yellow numbers on the strips to see if they shown up better than red ones.

They didn't.

A midweek match against Aberdeen. 

We lost with Archibald scoring. 

I think Shull posted a picture containing the old floodlights in the St. Mirren photos thread (can't be arsed searching for it).

As HSS says, SMP was under the flightpath into the old Renfrew Airport which is why the pylons had that big horizontal plate (deflector) on top to stop the light bleeding into the sky.

There also was no programme issued for the first game under the lights, the 10-0 2nd round win vs Peebles Rovers in 1959.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1958&GameID=195902130

I seem to remember an Ayr United goalkeeper (David Harvey) complained that he lost the flight of the ball as it went above the height of the lights!!

Might have been an interview in the old Football Scot magazine where he was asked for the worst ground to play and nominated Love Street under the lights!!

But as I say above memory might be playing tricks due to seeing too many games over too many yearsB)B)

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

I seem to remember an Ayr United goalkeeper (David Harvey) complained that he lost the flight of the ball as it went above the height of the lights!!

Might have been an interview in the old Football Scot magazine where he was asked for the worst ground to play and nominated Love Street under the lights!!

But as I say above memory might be playing tricks due to seeing too many games over too many yearsB)B)

If you mean David Harvey,ex Leeds,then no.He never played for Ayr.Could you be thinking of Dave Stewart who played for Ayr and a few English Clubs?

18 hours ago, HSS said:

If you mean David Harvey,ex Leeds,then no.He never played for Ayr.Could you be thinking of Dave Stewart who played for Ayr and a few English Clubs?

Yes think you are right  Its an age thing

Edited by Danny