Gary Mac & Adam Eck

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Booooooooo.......................I prefer the anti Stubbs fairy tales. :wink:

Even if the Stubbs fairly tales were true, Stubbs would have been quite correct.

These guys are injury prone. Gary Mac only managed 14 games last season while Eck missed a third of the season. They are also getting on a bit.

For all the moaning about signing players on loan, the signing of Eck on a 2 year contract was ridiculous.

Even top clubs don’t usually give guys in their 30s 2 year deals.

Eck has never managed more than 26 league games in a season. He missed a third of last season.

Gary Mack only managed 14 league games last season. He’s 32. He’s only ever managed a full league campaign of games a couple of times in his career. Why was he even given a new deal?

Rather than criticising Stubbs, what folk should really be doing is questioning some of the decisions that JR made which have made life difficult for Stubbs.

I'm still shocked that Stubbs wouldn't play Eck while injured to strengthen the defence, or throw a struggling Mackenzie straight in for his experience. After all, Mackenzie on one leg is better than Baird, Kpekawa et al...

Some people on here really do talk endless amounts of shite, all in the name of undermining the manager because they didn't get Guti or Kluivert in to lead us...

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I'm still shocked that Stubbs wouldn't play Eck while injured to strengthen the defence, or throw a struggling Mackenzie straight in for his experience. After all, Mackenzie on one leg is better than Baird, Kpekawa et al...

Some people on here really do talk endless amounts of shite, all in the name of undermining the manager because they didn't get Guti or Kluivert in to lead us...

This. I get that feeling too, that because he wasn't most folks preferred choice, taking every opportunity to shoot him down. You can see that some deals are taking longer to materialise. The Hodson and Jones deals seemed to be in the works for some time. I expect the next week or so to be a busy time for us in the remainder of the window.

Edited by kevo_smfc

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

For all the moaning about signing players on loan, the signing of Eck on a 2 year contract was ridiculous.

Even top clubs don’t usually give guys in their 30s 2 year deals.

Eck has never managed more than 26 league games in a season. He missed a third of last season.

Gary Mack only managed 14 league games last season. He’s 32. He’s only ever managed a full league campaign of games a couple of times in his career. Why was he even given a new deal?

Rather than criticising Stubbs, what folk should really be doing is questioning some of the decisions that JR made which have made life difficult for Stubbs.

Valid points Wendy. 

Just finished reading Alan’s book “How Football Saved My Life “. I found it a really interesting read and left me with nothing but respect for what he (like many others) have been through. As well as his 2 illnesses he describes his life in football and without going into too much detail he tells us how important he sees team spirit and players bonding are to him, Centre Half partnerships, coaching styles and what he has gleaned from top managers throughout his career. I know none of this guarantees you will be a successful manager but let’s just get behind the guy and see what happens..... at least for now. Interesting as well that during his pro licence at Largs it was St Mirren board members who did his mock job interview. Would have been old board of course.

17 minutes ago, Langbank said:

Just finished reading Alan’s book “How Football Saved My Life “. I found it a really interesting read and left me with nothing but respect for what he (like many others) have been through. As well as his 2 illnesses he describes his life in football and without going into too much detail he tells us how important he sees team spirit and players bonding are to him, Centre Half partnerships, coaching styles and what he has gleaned from top managers throughout his career. I know none of this guarantees you will be a successful manager but let’s just get behind the guy and see what happens..... at least for now. Interesting as well that during his pro licence at Largs it was St Mirren board members who did his mock job interview. Would have been old board of course.

Nice sentiment and good post.

48 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

This. I get that feeling too, that because he wasn't most folks preferred choice, taking every opportunity to shoot him down. You can see that some deals are taking longer to materialise. The Hodson and Jones deals seemed to be in the works for some time. I expect the next week or so to be a busy time for us in the remainder of the window.

He wasn't my preferred choice - I had a long argument against appointing him with someone on Twitter a few days before he got the job, but once he was appointed, he became our manager. For our club to do well, he had to do well. He has to be given a fair crack of the whip, and he hasn't remotely been given that. You onlu have to look at certain posters' signature on here to see that the knives have been out for him since his first interview after being appointed.

Deals have taken longer to get done than expected - is that Stubbs' fault? Eckersley and Mackenzie are injury prone and are both injured, yet Stubbs has got it in the neck constantly from people on the forum, on social media and the like, lambasting him for being too stubborn to play them. Will any of these clowns apoligise for their ill-conceived rants? Not a chance, mud sticks, and now the illusion is that he has torn the championship winning team apart when he's done nothing of the sort. He told Mack and Eck they could find a new club because they're injury prone and he couldn't guarantee them a regular game. Reilly took an age to sign a contract so Stubbs took back control and removed it from the table.

A win on Saturday would help give back some positivity, but it seems to me it will take a lot for some of our fans to go back on their initial assessment of Stubbs.

So they WERE injured after all,

A few fans should be feeling embarassed this morning.

This is what happens when grown adults spend their day frantically reacting to every piece of absolute f**king shite on Twitter.

Kick Twitter into the sea. How many times does it need said.