Gary Mac & Adam Eck

40 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Iain Munro was an extremely talented midfielder in his youth who won moves to Hibs and Rangers.

Fergie converted him to left back and he became the best left back in the country. Certainly, the best left back ever to play for St Mirren.

Yea I remember him with Peter Weir in front what a combination that was.  Edit My thinking is with Kyle out. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Wendy Saintss said:

Iain Munro was an extremely talented midfielder in his youth who won moves to Hibs and Rangers.

Fergie converted him to left back and he became the best left back in the country. Certainly, the best left back ever to play for St Mirren.

Iain Munro was the best Scottish left sided player in ANY position he played in for pretty much all of his career.  It was a travesty that successive Scotland managers chose to play an old-firm right back at left back rather than pick Iain  

Edited by beyond our ken

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Iain Munro was the best Scottish left sided player in ANY position he played in for pretty much all of his career.  It was a trvesty that successive Scotland managers chose to play an old-firm right back at left back rather than pick Iain  

Played 7 times for Scotland 1979/80,all as a Saints player.Made his debut v Argentina in a game where a young man called Diego Maradonna also made his international debut.

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Iain Munro was the best Scottish left sided player in ANY position he played in for pretty much all of his career.  It was a trvesty that successive Scotland managers chose to play an old-firm right back at left back rather than pick Iain  

Now firstly I should say Iain Munro was potentially my favourite St. Mirren player ever (always find it difficult to categorically pick one player, but he'd be right up there).

However, to intimate or pass Danny McGrain off as someone who just got picked because he played for the Old Firm is nonsense. In my opinion McGrain in his prime was the best full back in the world regardless of whether he was playing left or right back. He was streets ahead of Iain Munro. Sandy Jardine whilst not quite in McGrain's class was also a top player and again better than oor Iain. I'd say I had no quibble with Munro being excluded for those two players. On the other hand the likes of Willie Donachie, Arthur Albiston or any other left back around that time couldn't have laced Munro's boots and should never have been picked ahead of him. 

45 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Yes I was at the match v Argentina Iain Munro was an outstanding left back think also Billy Thomson and Frank McGarvey were in that squad also.

I think McGarvey started the game.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Now firstly I should say Iain Munro was potentially my favourite St. Mirren player ever (always find it difficult to categorically pick one player, but he'd be right up there).

However, to intimate or pass Danny McGrain off as someone who just got picked because he played for the Old Firm is nonsense. In my opinion McGrain in his prime was the best full back in the world regardless of whether he was playing left or right back. He was streets ahead of Iain Munro. Sandy Jardine whilst not quite in McGrain's class was also a top player and again better than oor Iain. I'd say I had no quibble with Munro being excluded for those two players. On the other hand the likes of Willie Donachie, Arthur Albiston or any other left back around that time couldn't have laced Munro's boots and should never have been picked ahead of him. 

I'd strongly disagree about Jardine, the proof of the pudding there was the experiment where  he was played in midfield for Rangers and simply lacked the strength, dig, pace and stamina to hack it there.  IM was never troubled in any position that he played in.  Jardine got the right back berth and one of the best half-dozen in the world in that position (Mcgrain) was put on the left to accommodate him.  Jardine got into Scotland squads when he was well past his best and the case for Munro was at it's strongest.

The fact that I had actually forgotten about those others is an indication of how I'd rate them.  There are a number of left wingers who got in ahead of Munro who should never have gotten close to a Scotland cap.

Just my opinion.  He was probably the classiest player of that era for Saints.

17 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I'd strongly disagree about Jardine, the proof of the pudding there was the experiment where  he was played in midfield for Rangers and simply lacked the strength, dig, pace and stamina to hack it there.  IM was never troubled in any position that he played in.  Jardine got the right back berth and one of the best half-dozen in the world in that position (Mcgrain) was put on the left to accommodate him.  Jardine got into Scotland squads when he was well past his best and the case for Munro was at it's strongest.

The fact that I had actually forgotten about those others is an indication of how I'd rate them.  There are a number of left wingers who got in ahead of Munro who should never have gotten close to a Scotland cap.

Not sure if I’m misinterpreting you’re first point but I’m not debating Sandy Jardine’s prowess as a midfielder (nor Iain Munro’s for that matter as I only ever remember him as a left back). I simply think Jardine was a slightly better full back than Munro and fully warranted his Scotland selection at right back. That only left the debate as to whether to play McGrain or Munro at left back and for me there is only ever one winner there. I soppose the NcGrain/Jardine thing was similar to the Robertson/Tierney thing now, only on the other side of the pitch. Only difference is there isn’t really a debate now as there isn’t really another decent right back.

I didn’t actually remember Munro playing in the Argentina game. Probably because I’m pretty sure it wasn’t televised and I didn’t go. I always remembered Munro’s debut as being the 4-0 gubbing of Norway in Oslo.

Certainly would have no argument with the last sentence of your post. 

18 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Jardine (and nice Gordon McQueen) was picked to go to Argentina - even though BOTH were injured and would never have a chance of playing.

Just on the Jardine, McGrain thing, it’s not like the 2 of them occupied both full back positions throughout their time with Scotland.

McGrain won 62 caps while Jardine only won 38.

Guys line Frank Gray and Willie Donnachie occupied the left back position for Scotland far more often in the 70s than McGrain.

Also, Jardine’s last cap was in 1979, the same year as Munro’s first cap.

So Jardine wasn’t really responsible for keeping Munro out the Scotland side. 1979 was the year that Munro really started to make a name for himself.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:34 AM, Wendy Saintss said:

The mob turned against Stubbs cos he wanted to let Mac & Eck go.

We’re now almost into 2019 and neither has yet to play a game.

Stubbs was proven right!

Kyle Magennis has only played a handful of games this season due to injury. Does that make it a bad decision to have given him an extended deal?

There was no mob.

Had Stubbs made 4 decent signings in the summer and strengthened a few key areas in the team we would most likely be sitting 8th or 9th right now. Instead he cleared out what was left of last year's squad after Jack Ross' clear out in May and then signed 11 new players of which only Jones and Hodson have played regularly for Kearney and to a fairly decent standard and Cody Cooke has made 1 subs appearance for 20 minutes where he has looked like he might be alright. 3 ok signings out of 11 where the other 8 are well out of the reckoning and worse than what Jack Ross had left behind him.

It's unusual to have played almost 20 games and just broken the 10 point threshold and to have someone suggest the manager in charge in the summer transfer window "was proven right" with his recruitment decisions.