Gary Mac & Adam Eck

On 12/20/2018 at 6:34 AM, Wendy Saintss said:

The mob turned against Stubbs cos he wanted to let Mac & Eck go.

We’re now almost into 2019 and neither has yet to play a game.

Stubbs was proven right!

Lets see where Stubbs manages again to see what the football community think of him.

If he manages again ?

Stubbs for me was the worst appointment SMFC have ever made in over 50 years of watching the team.

I have a hunch that Oran Kearney is going to turn out to be a quality appointment. 

Edited by lenziebud

34 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Kyle Magennis has only played a handful of games this season due to injury. Does that make it a bad decision to have given him an extended deal?

There was no mob.

Had Stubbs made 4 decent signings in the summer and strengthened a few key areas in the team we would most likely be sitting 8th or 9th right now. Instead he cleared out what was left of last year's squad after Jack Ross' clear out in May and then signed 11 new players of which only Jones and Hodson have played regularly for Kearney and to a fairly decent standard and Cody Cooke has made 1 subs appearance for 20 minutes where he has looked like he might be alright. 3 ok signings out of 11 where the other 8 are well out of the reckoning and worse than what Jack Ross had left behind him.

It's unusual to have played almost 20 games and just broken the 10 point threshold and to have someone suggest the manager in charge in the summer transfer window "was proven right" with his recruitment decisions.

Exactly who did 'Stubbs' clearout from last seasons regular starters? Name just ONE!

people need to move on, support St Mirren players like Jones, Cooke, Hodson, Edwards regardless who signed them as they might just help keep us up!

Jack Ross isnt the manager anymore, and i get people feeling they have to protesth too loud because they thought Stubbs would be good, but got their fingers burned... but he ain't the manager either ffs.

if we want to keep endlessly blaming past managers for mistakes/errors of judgement then two names stand out like sore thumbs.. Shankland & Hardie... see, just as painful, but still solves nothing.

support this St Mirren team, each and everyone of them until they arent saints anymore 

57 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Kyle Magennis has only played a handful of games this season due to injury. Does that make it a bad decision to have given him an extended deal?

There was no mob.

Had Stubbs made 4 decent signings in the summer and strengthened a few key areas in the team we would most likely be sitting 8th or 9th right now. Instead he cleared out what was left of last year's squad after Jack Ross' clear out in May and then signed 11 new players of which only Jones and Hodson have played regularly for Kearney and to a fairly decent standard and Cody Cooke has made 1 subs appearance for 20 minutes where he has looked like he might be alright. 3 ok signings out of 11 where the other 8 are well out of the reckoning and worse than what Jack Ross had left behind him.

It's unusual to have played almost 20 games and just broken the 10 point threshold and to have someone suggest the manager in charge in the summer transfer window "was proven right" with his recruitment decisions.

I agree that Stubb's signings were shite, but it is absolute nonsense to say he cleared out last year's squad.

Who left?????

Gavin Reilly............ Was never going to sign a new contract.

Gary Irvine............. Never good enough for the Premier.

Harry Davis............ Wanted to go back south.

Morgan, L. Smith.......... Loan ended.

Hippolyte........... Not good enough

As far Gary Mac & Adam Eck...........................He has been proved right. Haven't played a single game and I would bet my life on it that they won't get another contract from OK.

I would say that the only players we are missing from last season who could play at this level are Davis, Morgan & Reilly. Stubbs could have done very little to keep any of them.

His signings were shocking though.

Edited by Prague Buddie

4 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Lets see where Stubbs manages again to see what the football community think of him.

If he manages again ?

Stubbs for me was the worst appointment SMFC have ever made in over 50 years of watching the team.

I have a hunch that Oran Kearney is going to turn out to be a quality appointment. 

2nd worse - Only Murray beats him and by quite a way..

3 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I agree that Stubb's signings were shite, but it is absolute nonsense to say he cleared out last year's squad.

Who left?????

As far Gary Mac & Adam Eck...........................He has been proved right. Haven't played a single game and I would bet my life on it that they won't get another contract from OK.

I would say that the only players we are missing from last season who could play at this level are Davis, Morgan & Reilly. Stubbs could have done very little to keep any of them.

Pretty much the long and short of it.

My issue with Alan Stubbs was never the players who left...whether they were of his doing or not. Most who did leave were outwith his control and the only departure I'd outwardly be critical of is Ross Stewart, who I felt had the potential to do a decent job given time, possibly as a 3rd choice centre forward.

My issue was with the number and overarching quality of the players who came in. I don't mind part time players coming in and making the step up but you MUST supplement them with quality additions and as level a balanced squad as possible and neither of these two things happened. We were left with a woefully unbalanced and inexperienced mess.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Tommy Craig is easily the worst recently.

Definitely agree with that.

Most people on here saw Stubbs as a good appointment at the time and were absolutely shocked at how quickly and dramatically it all went south.

Everyone and their dug knew that Craig was a disaster waiting to happen from minute one and everyone knew of the shady circumstances in which he ascended to the role which meant there was little to no goodwill from the outset.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Tommy Craig is easily the worst recently.

As a rule,  I'm not keen on going down the negative route but have to agree with this. 

On Gary Mac... I will be very surprised if he plays for us again.  Injury and restricted pace. 

On Adam Elk.. I will also be surprised if he plays for us again.  Injury being the main reason. 

Both were Heroes for us in the Championship. They always will be but this is a tough game. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Wendy Saintss said:

Iain Munro was an extremely talented midfielder in his youth who won moves to Hibs and Rangers.

Fergie converted him to left back and he became the best left back in the country. Certainly, the best left back ever to play for St Mirren.

Did he , aye ?

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197204080

eta , almost half season 71-72 under Bryceland at Left Back.

Edited by billyg

10 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Who left?????

I made the point that after Jack Ross had already cleared out the squad in May, Stubbs inherited 16 players and told half of them they were free to move on.  Stubbs didn't invite Reilly to La Manga and told him the deal on the table was withdrawn (for lo, he had Anthony Stokes, Adam Rooney, Kenny Miller, Jeff King, Cody Cooke, Nicolai Brock Madsen all lined up to replace Reilly).

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

Gavin Reilly. 35 starts, that regular enough. emoji57.png

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=55372&season_id=150

Don't know how that goes with your moving on, seeing as you've just got to mention your old pal Jack Ross. You just can't let it go. emoji23.png

Gavin refused to sign the contract sitting in front of him for months.

Not sure anyone can blame Stubbs for that.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Gavin refused to sign the contract sitting in front of him for months.

Not sure anyone can blame Stubbs for that.

Oh Oaky...! How could you?

you surely know Stubbs four league games in charge will be used as the stick to beat him with for ever and a day. Even if Oran relegates us with 34 league games, signing three ex EPL/Championship players, New Technical Director and additional first team coach both ex managers, one a national coach, and a January transfer window at his disposal. With board bankrolling him to shift up to 16 players in/out.

it will still be poor Oran never got a chance, and "its Stubbs I tell ya!"...

its a simmering hatred born out of at first backing his (Stubbs) appointment because Gordon said "He'll Make St Mirren Great Again", and then Gordon & co having collectively to eat their own shit and admit they blew a fortune on a gamble, rather than a carefully researched choice.

look back and try and find these posters rallying against Stubbs appointment! I have, there's not a peep out of any of them!

On 12/20/2018 at 6:34 AM, Wendy Saintss said:

The mob turned against Stubbs cos he wanted to let Mac & Eck go.

We’re now almost into 2019 and neither has yet to play a game.

Stubbs was proven right!

Stubbs did not want to get rid of them because they were injured, he wanted to get rid of them because he didn't think they were good enough. He recanted it towards the end of the window and actually stated 'I'd love to play them but they're injured'  

Oh Oaky...! How could you?
you surely know Stubbs four league games in charge will be used as the stick to beat him with for ever and a day. Even if Oran relegates us with 34 league games, signing three ex EPL/Championship players, New Technical Director and additional first team coach both ex managers, one a national coach, and a January transfer window at his disposal. With board bankrolling him to shift up to 16 players in/out.
it will still be poor Oran never got a chance, and "its Stubbs I tell ya!"...
its a simmering hatred born out of at first backing his (Stubbs) appointment because Gordon said "He'll Make St Mirren Great Again", and then Gordon & co having collectively to eat their own shit and admit they blew a fortune on a gamble, rather than a carefully researched choice.
look back and try and find these posters rallying against Stubbs appointment! I have, there's not a peep out of any of them!

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Surely with Heaton and Kpekawa told they can go, and facing the probable loss of Ferdinand, that gives Mack a decent chance to remain for the season?

Has he even started training yet?

Will take him months to get up to match fitness.

The season may well be over by then.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Surely with Heaton and Kpekawa told they can go, and facing the probable loss of Ferdinand, that gives Mack a decent chance to remain for the season?

I like the idea of big Mac getting a chance but have my doubts. Alloa on loan for the big man.