Stubbs can go now

1 hour ago, billyg said:

The BOD should be blocking any  intended transfer activity by Stubbs in the next week , don't allow him  to destroy anymore of last season's set-up and don't give him a cent to try and improve the team . Then hopefully he'll get the message. GLS and TF have made a collective pigs ear of this one , time to put the wrongs right !

The BOD will quite rightly back him financially as per his agreed budget.

If the right player becomes available they will also back him there.

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The BOD will quite rightly back him financially as per his agreed budget.

He's already missed out on a player he wanted , and it wasn't down to said player's demands !

That interview from McGinn is worrying to say the least. He is openly criticising his manager’s signings, saying they haven’t played enough football and suggesting that they have underestimated the Scottish league. I’m sure most of us agree, but surprised McGinn had said so publicly. Said signings and his manager will read this. Moral must be st rock bottom now and Stubbs body language at games is not one of a leader. I really think we are in trouble and if the rumours about Smith at true, it only goes to prove that Stubbs has lost the plot. I don’t trust him to bring in players that are better than Cammy, judging from his additions so far. Any potential signings will be looking at us thinking we are a shambles at the moment and will be thinking twice now about joining. Our nosedive since the Killie game is staggering.

17 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

I really think we are in trouble and if the rumours about Smith at true, it only goes to prove that Stubbs has lost the plot.

Unfortunately its been confirmed by the man himself that he's definitely not standing in Smith's way or making any effort to say we want to keep him. He said to BT post match that whilst no movement at this moment, it's a possibility Smith will leave this week, if it is of benefit to the squad. 

http://sport.bt.com/football/stubbs-hoping-to-strengthen-at-st-mirren-before-transfer-deadline-S11364291491384

Edited by djchapsticks

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I am quoting both Gordon and Stubbs on this but hey, maybe you know better.:rolleyes:

I know better than to believe everything I'm told - classic spin from GLS and Stubbsy.   :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

With the McGinn money. :whistle

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Note the photo in the Times.

2 sat on their arse whilst Rice was probably on the touchline covering for Stubbs.

Any feedback on Rice? Dont know how good he is but at least he seems to care.

I'm not defending here as I'm as angry as the next fan. Stubbs , Jackson , Rice all had turns on the side line. In the second half Stubbs looked to have gave up. It's not just the management that's the problem. Recruitment of experienced players keep falling through. As much as I love Tony he is not the right person to negotiate deals. The club needs to stand up and address this sooner than later. 

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Glad to know that you are supportive of the manager - so am I. 

Experience has taught me that taking over management of any organisation or team has its ups and downs.

Some employees welcome the change and adopt and adapt quickly.

For others they go through a process which include denial and resistance before acceptance.  

The manager has difficult choices to make and it is hard to keep all stakeholders happy. 

Some of the very best performing individuals often experience the greatest difficulties in handling the changes. 

The manager needs to be future focussed and resolute. 

As long as the board support him fully then Alan Stubs appears to be both. 

But... As a fan and supporter,  like any other,  I am tempted to take the easy route and find fault when things don't immediately go our way. 

I am prepared to be patient and look to the board to support the manager in recruitment and in moving players on should he think it needed.

Doesn't mean that I don't have views on our performances this season or on decisions made... But I respect the right of the manager to make them. 

The board will hold him accountable.... That's part of their role. 

Meanwhile Div is entitled to his opinions as much as the rest of us surely?

A lot of common sense there Ricky. Very quickly you know you have a leader. Stubbs weakness to me seems organization and recruitment  key elements for a football manager. To have that problem so early is a real worry. The board have made a costly mistake that they can ill afford to fix due to financial constraints.  If Cammy Smith goes and replacements are not as good the house will come tumbling down. To think last seasons team has been dismantled that brought so much joy is unavailable. That team should have been tinkered with season pros. 

A lot of common sense there Ricky. Very quickly you know you have a leader. Stubbs weakness to me seems organization and recruitment  key elements for a football manager. To have that problem so early is a real worry. The board have made a costly mistake that they can ill afford to fix due to financial constraints.  If Cammy Smith goes and replacements are not as good the house will come tumbling down. To think last seasons team has been dismantled that brought so much joy is unavailable. That team should have been tinkered with season pros. 

I’ve lost count IBOS, remind me how many times is that you’ve turned? 🤪

23 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Tell that to JR - he's the one who dismantled it. 

The problems we've suffered are as follows.

1. The bulk of the players JR was going to bring in got cold feet when his future became uncertain.
  2. TF/GLS took too long to appoint a replacement and didn't seem to want chase any of the players JR had identified as targets.
  3. So far Stubbsy's recruitment as been "meh" in the extreme. 
  4. We don't have the calibre of player to play expansive football in this division - we have to adapt our tactics (shitfest) or get relegated.

Crucial week coming up - if GLS doesn't free up some of the  McGinn money then Stubbsy is a lame duck and heading towards being a dead one!

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Very sensible comments from our Captain. Pretty much what we all think. The new guys are inexperienced and represent a huge gamble. It looks like AS has either underestimated the standard of top flight Scottish football or overestimated his ability to improve untested rookies or both. I do disagree with Steven when he says it's not yet a crisis.  It is. We are a soft mess .The crisis will deepen if we offload Cammy Smith. Hopefully GLS gets AS in first thing this morning and takes over all transfer decision making - in and out.

I once worked for a large organisation. A new manager (NM) was appointed to run a successful and expanding department. The NM wanted to introduce new working practices. Existing experienced staff warned him that the changes would harm the way of working and the business. The NM's solution was to have everyone re-apply for their job. Not one of the existing staff was kept on and all were replaced by new young and  inexperienced personnel as the NM wanted to do things 'his way' with no dissenting voices. When problems arose the new staff had no idea of what to do and had no experienced people around them who could advise. Within two months clients started to leave. This trickle soon became a rush. Senior management realised that a growing department was now in decline and action was required. They paid off the NM and had to substantially downsize as more and more customers left. After another six months the department closed as clients had lost all faith and went elsewhere. This was in the IT sector.

There are several lessons to be learned from the above true life situation. The main one being managers are not infallible and should not be backed blindly.

11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I once worked for a large organisation. A new manager (NM) was appointed to run a successful and expanding department. The NM wanted to introduce new working practices. Existing experienced staff warned him that the changes would harm the way of working and the business. The NM's solution was to have everyone re-apply for their job. Not one of the existing staff was kept on and all were replaced by new young and  inexperienced personnel as the NM wanted to do things 'his way' with no dissenting voices. When problems arose the new staff had no idea of what to do and had no experienced people around them who could advise. Within two months clients started to leave. This trickle soon became a rush. Senior management realised that a growing department was now in decline and action was required. They paid off the NM and had to substantially downsize as more and more customers left. After another six months the department closed as clients had lost all faith and went elsewhere. This was in the IT sector.

There are several lessons to be learned from the above true life situation. The main one being managers are not infallible and should not be backed blindly.

Nice story...............I was once a new manager (NM) who inherited a workforce that were not up to the day to day demands. The NM slowly replaced almost all of the existing workforce with people who were up for the challenge. Despite the recession happening at the same time the company went from a loss maker to making a profit.

Just shows you.............................:wink:

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nice story...............I was once a new manager (NM) who inherited a workforce that were not up to the day to day demands. The NM slowly replaced almost all of the existing workforce with people who were up for the challenge. Despite the recession happening at the same time the company went from a loss maker to making a profit.

Just show you.............................:wink:

Key messages perhaps being "slowly" and "replaced those not up to the challenge with people who were". AS is ripping out any semblance of continuity and team spirit and is bringing in rookies.

31 minutes ago, magnus said:

Very sensible comments from our Captain. Pretty much what we all think. The new guys are inexperienced and represent a huge gamble. It looks like AS has either underestimated the standard of top flight Scottish football or overestimated his ability to improve untested rookies or both. I do disagree with Steven when he says it's not yet a crisis.  It is. We are a soft mess .The crisis will deepen if we offload Cammy Smith. Hopefully GLS gets AS in first thing this morning and takes over all transfer decision making - in and out.

what McGinn forgot to add was the lack of leadership on the pitch , what was the Captain doing to try and drive the team forward ? 

I also wonder what the captain has been doing in helping the new players integrate into the new club .

Not a criticism , just genuine questions , as for me is what is lacking most , leadership on the park , we didn,t have any leaders on Saturday , nor any team plan .

The team won,t move forward until we see players get their sleeves rolled up and start competing .

3 minutes ago, magnus said:

Key messages perhaps being "slowly" and "replaced those not up to the challenge with people who were". AS is ripping out any semblance of continuity and team spirit and is bringing in rookies.

Slowly is subjective, it took time for new people to produce the goods, during this transition it was difficult for everybody and the NM was given time. 

10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Stubbs, like any manager, should be held accountable after each and every game.
In his case, he should be held accountable for the three league games, including the win against Dundee which was really lucky.
He should also be held accountable for the league Cup performances and his recruitment.

So what are you suggesting.....................obviously everyone should be held accountable, but are you suggesting removing him after us qualifying from the league cup and playing 3 league games?

The winning goal against Dundee was lucky, 70 of the 90 minutes we were the better team. 

FFS, gie it a rest. 

Edited by faraway saint

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just shows you.............................:wink:

I think the key is you maybe move on those not performing but build your team around the ones who are. Unfortunately Stubbs appears to want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think the key is you maybe move on those not performing but build your team around the ones who are. Unfortunately Stubbs appears to want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Yeah, I think one of the flaws so far has been telling people they are free to go without a replacement lined up.

If he doesn’t find replacements and the current players remain, then he’s alienated himself somewhat.

Just now, Hendo said:

All I'm trying to suggest it's way too early for the wave of supporters suggesting he gets punted.

This has been suggested for weeks now from a section of the forum users, Saturdays result, yes, a very poor performance also, has opened the door for people who made their minds up almost as soon as Stubbs was appointed. 

What "appears" is purely subjective, and is being used as a stick to beat the manager with. 

This season was always going to be a nightmare for us, although I would have been happier if Ross hadn't jumped ship.

There's been some well thought out posts, clearly we are in transition period, and it's obvious we, along with another few teams, are already looking at 10th place as a target but this has been a target for many before the season started.

People will think what they like, irrespective of what's really happening on and off the pitch.

It's been this way for years with us, nothing really changes.