Stubbs can go now

Jack Ross struggled to turn the pig's ear that was Alex Rae’s squad into a silk purse, and I imagine anyone brought in to replace Stubbs just now - or before January - would have a similar issue with the current group of players.

In that respect, it could be argued that there might be little to gain from bagging Stubbs just now. He might as well be given until the end of the year to try and put together a competitive team. If he plays our better players in their most effective positions, and starts to coach some of the glaring weaknesses out of the defence, we might not be adrift at the turn of the year.

If he can somehow strengthen the squad before Saturday, we might even be able to match up with the other teams in the bottom 6.

Is either scenario likely? Well, I said earlier that I was going to lay off the negativity for a few days, so....

Just now, WeeBud said:

I don't disagree but if we don't back him and expect him to fail then failure is almost assured.

There is no point in running for another four games and then bagging the manager without supporting him, that's just crazy-talk!!

Agreed - like I said earlier if we don't back him then he, & to a lesser extent the team are lame ducks, and after the "Spend, Spend, Spend." interview earlier in the week it would almost seem like GLS is daring him to quit.

6 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I don't disagree but if we don't back him and expect him to fail then failure is almost assured.

There is no point in running for another four games and then bagging the manager without supporting him, that's just crazy-talk!!

According to Stubbs the BOD did back him and went the extra yard to land Miller

But the sunbed fud decided to go the land of comics and jam

It's not looking good to get the required players in

Just now, windae cleaner said:

According to Stubbs the BOD did back him and went the extra yard to land Miller

But the sunbed fud decided to go the land of comics and jam

It's not looking good to get the required players in

I'm not suggesting they haven't, or aren't going to back him.....I was replying to posters posting that he should be starved of any further funds

Captain Halfwit trying to make a joke out of mental health again, classy... but not unexpected!

Oh dear. You make a joke about mental health then moan about me making a joke about about mental health... whilst you make another joke about mental health! [emoji1]

.... not unexpected

Your village will be wondering you are! [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I'm not suggesting they haven't, or aren't going to back him.....I was replying to posters posting that he should be starved of any further funds

If ex players like Broadfoot or McGregor were available then getting them signed and in the team would be a no-brainer , that's the standard of defender we need to find in the next 48 hours , because Stubbs has failed to identify anyone in their class since he took the job. Farting about , signing unknowns and wee boys was doomed to fail from the outset , even bringing in League 2 players , like other clubs up here have done over the years , may have worked , especially when you consider that Stephen McGinn and Harry Davis plied their trade at that level.

1 minute ago, billyg said:

If ex players like Broadfoot or McGregor were available then getting them signed and in the team would be a no-brainer , that's the standard of defender we need to find in the next 48 hours , because Stubbs has failed to identify anyone in their class since he took the job. Farting about , signing unknowns and wee boys was doomed to fail from the outset , even bringing in League 2 players , like other clubs up here have done over the years , may have worked , especially when you consider that Stephen McGinn and Harry Davis plied their trade at that level.

Without knowing our budget Billy I'd doubt we'd be able to seriously go for players, who I agree would be ideal, like you have mentioned.

It's easy to criticise but not so easy to come up with players that we can afford and would be interested.

As things stand I'm concerned about not just the players we've signed more the lack of formation which can make average players into t a decent team unit.

If we don't sign anybody in the next day or two we will probably struggle, I hope we can turn it around. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Without knowing our budget Billy I'd doubt we'd be able to seriously go for players, who I agree would be ideal, like you have mentioned.

It's easy to criticise but not so easy to come up with players that we can afford and would be interested.

As things stand I'm concerned about not just the players we've signed more the lack of formation which can make average players into t a decent team unit.

If we don't sign anybody in the next day or two we will probably struggle, I hope we can turn it around. 

Another thing I don't understand , Brian Rice worked with John Hughes at Inverness when they had a constant stream of lower division English players coming into the club , why has he not been instrumental in helping Stubbs do the same , is it all down to cash restrictions ?

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Another thing I don't understand , Brian Rice worked with John Hughes at Inverness when they had a constant stream of lower division English players coming into the club , why has he not been instrumental in helping Stubbs do the same , is it all down to cash restrictions ?

I could just make up an answer but, the truth is, who really knows. :wink:

10 minutes ago, billyg said:

BillyG.  How do you know that he didn't identify any?  It's up to Tony and the Board to Do the Deals.. Or not. 

24 minutes ago, billyg said:

I don't disagree with any of what you've said but is absolutely irrelevant to my post. My point was either back him and keep building or sack him before going on any further. To do nothing and trundle into the season for another few games and then change the manager with no opportunity to build on what we currently have is nonsense.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

We have sold a record number of season tickets.  Very happy about that. 

We had lots of coverage in social media,  newspapers and TV... Great

I've covered the challenges elsewhere on the forum. 

It's not a surprise that this season is going to test everyone involved with the club. 

Embrace the challenge - don't fear it. 

I wasn't ever afraid of being promoted or the challenges it would bring. After 10 Stubbs signings my sense of anticipation and enthusiasm for the campaign ahead has been somewhat dimmed however.

I say it again we need to sign experienced guys right now who know what it is like to play in our top league and those guys are available NOW.Starting with Darren O’Dea aged 31 solid Centre Back with over 250 games.Dom Thomas good winger with over 70 games for Well and Killie still only 22 and Scot Under 21 player.Also Ryan Dow former Utd now County yet young and experienced go get them Stubbsy.

Can we just absolutely clarify that at NO TIME until 2pm on Saturday when the team was announced did I tweet anything about Cammy Smith being dropped.

All I said on Friday night was that there was some interesting team news ahead.

I could tell you right now that the team news on Saturday is going to be interesting too as we get the latest edition of #TeamTombola

I don't think anyone has accused you of leaking information or tweeting anything about Cammy Smith.

I misread the point Sonny was making about your tweet as he said something along the lines of him being told the same news by 3 people.

I put 2 + 2 together and came up with 5 it seems because his pals can't have heard through as not on twitter.

One of the advantages of following our great club is that when the good times are good we get to share them with our heroes (the players). Mainly because they are friends, family, neighbours, friends of friends etc and we are a good community club.

The disadvantage is that at times like this we all hear too much about what is going on and are told by certain people what they want us to be told.

#teamtombola is right enough, all you can predict of a Stubbs team is it won't be the same as the last game, half the team will be out of their favoured position, and they'll be chasing a lost cause after about 20 minutes.

28 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I don't think anyone has accused you of leaking information or tweeting anything about Cammy Smith.

I misread the point Sonny was making about your tweet as he said something along the lines of him being told the same news by 3 people.

I put 2 + 2 together and came up with 5 it seems because his pals can't have heard through as not on twitter.

One of the advantages of following our great club is that when the good times are good we get to share them with our heroes (the players). Mainly because they are friends, family, neighbours, friends of friends etc and we are a good community club.

The disadvantage is that at times like this we all hear too much about what is going on and are told by certain people what they want us to be told.

I have.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I wasn't ever afraid of being promoted or the challenges it would bring. After 10 Stubbs signings my sense of anticipation and enthusiasm for the campaign ahead has been somewhat dimmed however.

I would say you have captured the mood of the vast majority of Saints Fans with that post. 

Well done. :notworthy

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't know about you Dibbles but I am still looking 3 years ahead.  I don't think anybody would disagree that we have had a less than satisfactory close season. Not at all what had been anticipated.  We can't turn the clock back.  We are where we are and need to keep looking forward.  However,  the current transfer window is still open.  Much can still happen. 

Stubbs isn't up to it though so the transfer window still being open mean little.

Are you posting from a room where all the walls are white, the view is small, high up and obscured by thick metal bars and people randomly scream throughout the night for no obvious reason?

Yes, it’s called the St. Mirren Boardroom.
In all seriousness, you can give it up Captain, we know its you.

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I say it again we need to sign experienced guys right now who know what it is like to play in our top league and those guys are available NOW.Starting with Darren O’Dea aged 31 solid Centre Back with over 250 games.Dom Thomas good winger with over 70 games for Well and Killie still only 22 and Scot Under 21 player.Also Ryan Dow former Utd now County yet young and experienced go get them Stubbsy.

At least you have possible solutions to put forward Mid-Calder rather than joining in gloom and doom. 

Your village will be wondering you are! [emoji23]

Should that be ‘Your village will be wondering where you are’? Sorry, I don’t talk moron.

Still, you should use an emoji now and then. It really emphasises your condescending side and doesn’t make you look like an unintelligent 17 year old at all... promise!