Stubbs can go now

11 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Despite appearances,  I am not an appologist for Allan Stubs. But,  come on guys be reasonable. Give the guy a break.  There is enough pressure on him to build a decent squad and build the team spirit and get players to have confidence in him.  All in the long shadow of Sir Jack of Ross.  He apparently could do no wrong.  It can't happen but it would be interesting to think what míght things be liked if he stayed?  Would we have beaten Dundee.  Would we have beaten Rangers?  Would we have beaten Libby (we didn't in the last two games against them in the Championship)?  Would we have lost as heavily to Aberdeen?  The answer to the last one is possibly not since  we didn't reach that stage in the competition last  year.  When we did play them I seem to recall that they scored 4 against us.  

In answer to the above; "When we did play them I seem to recall that they scored 4 against us.  " - at least we had shots on goal and scored some last year!

The wider issue that concerns me here is the fact that our signings seem to have been random and (on the face of it) unplanned. 

I accept that the move up from the Championship to the PL necessitated a change in personnel in certain areas, but unless you can be assured that the replacements are better than the ones that are going, then don't throw the bath water out too early!

In a perfect world you have a system where you (as Manager) presumably see a gap in the team set up and discuss that with the coach, general manager and chairman and then draw up a potential list of target replacements. You attempt to get the best but the 2nd or 3rd targets should still be a better option than what you already have.

So far I have seen maybe one possible incomer that gives me hope, otherwise I get the firm impression that the policy has been to sign up players on the back of their agent's videos / best bits (on the field) and on the strength of these clips they have moved to Paisley either on loan or signing up for at least a year and probably two. The agent's clips, by the way, don't show lack of effort, long periods on mundanity, or glaring misses in front of goal. What happened to good old scouting and checking a player out for a few weeks before you made the approach.

I would happily draw up dossiers on target players, watch them perform on the park and comprehensively report on any player that we intended signing. That of course isn't happening with AS and whilst JR could see what he needed to bring in, to achieve the escape and then the promotion,  AS hasn't got that same savvy and the recruitment policy has been all over the place.

I see a long bumpy ride ahead of us again this season.  i.e. a slow ever so painful :death

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Edit: forgot to add the compo received for Ross which is allegedly somewhere between £100-150k...

so that means out of £2million coming in, we've spent £75k, plus we have a number of loanees that we will likely not be paying all of each players wages, and the squad is smaller than last season at the moment.

But the board insist the manager has to sell before he can buy..!

simple question... where's the £2million gone..?

I would suggest its more a case of them not wanting to give Stubbs any more money to spend based on the standard of players he has brought in so far.

If we've got cash, which we probably do, i wouldn't trust him with it.

8 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I would suggest its more a case of them not wanting to give Stubbs any more money to spend based on the standard of players he has brought in so far.

The alternative of playing half a season with what we have fills me with far more dread. 

So either Jack Ross was your hero and to quote a phrase 'you think he's worth it' or you think he wasnt worth tuppence h'penny?
the thorny path of unrequited [emoji173]️ 
Maybe he thinks your talking about Ross Stewart?

Anyway noone has mentioned the outgoings on Rice (Brian not basmati).

20 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Looking at the net result of outgoings and income i dont think he's been given any transfer budget at all! 

So i ask again? Who is it really driving the signings of non-league, academy, part timers and loanees..? The board have to approve, and indeed inform the manager about any & all business he can or cant do!

Guest TPAFKATS
Edit: forgot to add the compo received for Ross which is allegedly somewhere between £100-150k...
so that means out of £2million coming in, we've spent £75k, plus we have a number of loanees that we will likely not be paying all of each players wages, and the squad is smaller than last season at the moment.
But the board insist the manager has to sell before he can buy..!
simple question... where's the £2million gone..?
I am assuming Stubbs is on a bigger wage than Ross.
Also same with Jackson compared to Fowler.
Rice is an additional wage. Did we pay some compoto ICT for him as well.
Stubbs has also brought in an additional physio who is on a higher wage than the existing physio who is still with us.

Not suggesting this accounts for £2m but these are additional staff costs.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Stubbs has also brought in an additional physio who is on a higher wage than the existing physio who is still with us.

Was Jack Ross not the highest paid manager in St Mirren history??

9 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Pretty sure Rice is Asst Manager. Jackson is first team coach or some such.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Didn't he also have a list of improvements he wanted made at Ralston as well?

Poor old stubbsy getting it tight already. Was never a fan of his appointment would have preferred the box office kluivert.  but stubbsy is hear on the merit that he knows scottish football. kluivert and guitti dont! Stubbs should have looked at the guys doing it in the championship. Halket. lamie.  oware all have bags of experience and plenty of game time.  thats the defense covered. Midfield was covered maybe have looked for someone who could supply set pieces (we miss mallan for that service). 

Up front i hear folks talk about quitongo maybe not a bad shout as back-up but our best strikers over the years have been tall guys 16 stone or more who don't get knocked of the ball easily  (lavety. Yardley. Higgdon. To name a few)

But stubbsy knows all this because he knows scottish football.! 

Hard fixtures coming up Heart's away on saturday and Celtic at home next week. Don't want to see us getting rid of another manager but also don't want to see a manager go when it's to late. 

I hope he can turn it around. 

Poor old stubbsy getting it tight already. Was never a fan of his appointment would have preferred the box office kluivert.  but stubbsy is hear on the merit that he knows scottish football. kluivert and guitti dont! Stubbs should have looked at the guys doing it in the championship. Halket. lamie.  oware all have bags of experience and plenty of game time.  thats the defense covered. Midfield was covered maybe have looked for someone who could supply set pieces (we miss mallan for that service). 
Up front i hear folks talk about quitongo maybe not a bad shout as back-up but our best strikers over the years have been tall guys 16 stone or more who don't get knocked of the ball easily  (lavety. Yardley. Higgdon. To name a few)
But stubbsy knows all this because he knows scottish football.! 
Hard fixtures coming up Heart's away on saturday and Celtic at home next week. Don't want to see us getting rid of another manager but also don't want to see a manager go when it's to late. 
I hope he can turn it around. 

Exactly my thoughts, there would have been enough quality between our squad still left over, with some decent Championship additions with points to prove such as Lamie, Halkett, Williamson, Polworth - take a few weeks to scout a decent quality poacher and Morgan replacement = a far stronger position than we’re in currently... disappointed in the recruitment process, missed opportunity.

55 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Exactly my thoughts, there would have been enough quality between our squad still left over, with some decent Championship additions with points to prove such as Lamie, Halkett, Williamson, Polworth - take a few weeks to scout a decent quality poacher and Morgan replacement = a far stronger position than we’re in currently... disappointed in the recruitment process, missed opportunity.

Polworth, weren’t we linked with him recently ? Anyone know if that’s still a possibility, if it ever was.

Guest TPAFKATS
He may well have been, however Alan Stubbs was a bigger name as a manager and has been given a longer contract to manage us at a higher level succeeding Jack Ross. So...

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

He may well have been, however Alan Stubbs was a bigger name as a manager and has been given a longer contract to manage us at a higher level succeeding Jack Ross. So...

When it comes to salaries etc I'd assume nothing, I'd wait for the facts.

Just now, TPAFKATS said:
55 minutes ago, WeeBud said:
When it comes to salaries etc I'd assume nothing, I'd wait for the facts.

I'm not sure that we will ever get facts when it comes to managers salaries.

I agree, which is why I wouldn't speculate on them and use it as basis to build an argument.

4 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I would suggest you don't know feck all and are, as usual, just having yet another, yawn, dig at Stubbs.:byebye