Club statement please on police activity in W7

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The Club only want the Home support to display banners in support of the Club. Nothing else. Simple rule to follow. It is just stupid when you are told not to proceed then go ahead anyway. You end up alienating yourself from self inflicted wounds. You may not agree with the rule but that is what is in force.

Given fans were tried to be recruited by Police to spy for them I can understand why the banner was shown. The Celtic banner was not taken down by stewards you have to ask why. If we had a holigan section I would understand we don't. 

IOBS. Find myself agreeing with both Sonny and yourself on this.  In my view Posters and/ or songs should support the club and not to offer political statements or abuse the opposition.  Agree that this same approach should be applied to All supporters attending games,  whether home or away supporters. 

Feck me! Have some really been so indoctrinated that they actually believe the club have a right to remove banners that they don't like? Banners that are not abusive but informative. The banner in question merely displayed the truth. no harm. No foul.

Only a self righteous idiot would think the powers that be should have the right to prevent free speech. This attempt at sanitising so many walks of life is crazy.

Absolute Horseshit.

23 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Feck me! Have some really been so indoctrinated that they actually believe the club have a right to remove banners that they don't like? Banners that are not abusive but informative. The banner in question merely displayed the truth. no harm. No foul.

Only a self righteous idiot would think the powers that be should have the right to prevent free speech. This attempt at sanitising so many walks of life is crazy.

Absolute Horseshit.

The thing is the owners of any venue (football stadium, cinema, museum, shopping mall etc etc) have every right to set conditions for entry. Usually printed on your ticket or displayed elsewhere in the venue's policies. ( As an aside as a photographer I am well aware that I cannot photograph without permission is such venues.) . You may not agree with the conditions but the owners can set them and enforce them. St Mirren's policies are clearly stated on their website  https://www.stmirren.com/club/about-st-mirren/club-policies

Did the banner break SPFL rules?   NO

Did the banner break club rules?  NO 

Did the club shite it to allow us to display a non offensive football related banner? YES

Did we display it anyway as the club have done us wrong? Yes 

CXl8vss_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Did the club seek approval from the Police? Who knows they shut us out of the conversations which took place after the SLO told the club he seen no issue with the statement on the banner.

All the fans on here can put there blinkers on all yous want half of you on this don’t even go to games.

We’re not criminals and will not be treated as such. 

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The thing is the owners of any venue (football stadium, cinema, museum, shopping mall etc etc) have every right to set conditions for entry. Usually printed on your ticket or displayed elsewhere in the venue's policies. ( As an aside as a photographer I am well aware that I cannot photograph without permission is such venues.) . You may not agree with the conditions but the owners can set them and enforce them. St Mirren's policies are clearly stated on their website  https://www.stmirren.com/club/about-st-mirren/club-policies

A few questions need to be asked then.

Why pick on this banner/flag when there are so many?  The obvious answer is the club officials didn't like the slogan. It was not political. It was about fans who are the lifeblood of the club therefore, as such, was "football related".

Were the celtic banners subject to the same scrutiny/confiscation? Did they show proof of fire safety standards? I would hazard that as No.

IF the club make rules then those rules should be  for all. Not just the easy targets.

Though the policies appear clear they are subject to the whims of those enforcing them. There are often black and white chequered flags waved within the ground. Are they removed? No. Why? Because the powers that be are not intimidated by the message. SIMPLE.

2 minutes ago, Suggestion said:

Did the club shite it to allow us to display a non offensive football related banner? YES

Did the club seek approval from the Police? Who knows they shut us out of the conversations which took place after the SLO told the club he seen no issue with the statement on the banner.

All the fans on here can put there blinkers on all yous want half of you on this don’t even go to games.

Out of interest, who are these "half don't go to games" people? 

Not sure that's really relevant, people can, and are allowed, comment on issues concerning the club.

Overall I'm disappointed that there seems to be a breakdown between the club and this group who, overall, have been an important part of the last couple of seasons.

The recent, and obvious, breakdown seems to have resulted in an attempt to see who's got the biggest balls.

No winners here IMO. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Absolute Horseshit.

Absolutely spot on. 

Like many others, I am genuinely puzzled why this banner was removed.

If it was under the heading of “offensive” Offensive to whom ? Did anyone complain and ask for it to be removed ?

As I said earlier , it wasn’t Racist, sectarian , abusive or derogatory nor illegal in any way.

I know others have commented on not getting wrapped up in what other fans are allowed to do but surely ground regulations MUST be applied fairly and equally to all fans , if the Club do not apply these rules fairly then the Club itself may well be accused of acting in a discriminatory manner.

Final point . The club still lists the Offensive behaviour at Football act as one of its guiding principles in these regulations. This act was repealed in April and has no standing in law, yet our Club do not seem to have realised this.

1 hour ago, Suggestion said:

I don't regard the fans as criminals in any way.  Again,  I love the noise and colour from W7. Keep it up guys.  My only thought is (and yes I have also said this before) keep any banners and/or songs supportive of the Team.  That's why we are there I believe.  Leave politics and religion outside the stadium.  However,  you should be and are able to question the club on its policies as are we all. 

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't regard the fans as criminals in any way.  Again,  I love the noise and colour from W7. Keep it up guys.  My only thought is (and yes I have also said this before) keep any banners and/or songs supportive of the Team.  That's why we are there I believe.  Leave politics and religion outside the stadium.  However,  you should be and are able to question the club on its policies as are we all. 

What political or religious beliefs do W7 have St R ? To my knowledge none at all. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

And I like it that way. My point is simple.  Don't get sucked into these areas.  Keep the focus on supporting the team.  

That's what they have been doing , but being victimised by the police for their efforts.  

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

That's what they have been doing , but being victimised by the police for their efforts.  

Exactly. A couple of banners have sailed closed to the wind. Take the banner at Ibrox (which I absolutely f*cking loved btw). At face value it could be regarded by some as both offensive and inflammatory. Offensive for the use of a sweary word and inflammatory for pointing out that said club was dead and that their home city was indeed “shite”. However, when taken in context that the banner was an extremely clever and humorous response to the planned tifo, it takes on a whole new light. Only a humorless fud would take offense to that or by riled by it.

However, the banner on Friday night was none of these things. It was pointing a finger at the club though and that clearly won’t be tolerated.

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Exactly. A couple of banners have sailed closed to the wind. Take the banner at Ibrox (which I absolutely f*cking loved btw). At face value it could be regarded by some as both offensive and inflammatory. Offensive for the use of a sweary word and inflammatory for pointing out that said club was dead and that their home city was indeed “shite”. However, when taken in context that the banner was an extremely clever and humorous response to the planned tifo, it takes on a whole new light. Only a humorless fud would take offense to that or by riled by it.

However, the banner on Friday night was none of these things. It was pointing a finger at the club though and that clearly won’t be tolerated.

All of us who go to games really enjoy what those in W7 do.  Noisy and colourful.  Doesn't mean they get things right every time. Neither do the club or the "authorities".  I thought the banner at Ibrox played out a now tired joke and was calculated to be offensive to our hosts.  As for Saturday's banner,  I am less clear on why this caused offence.  That is for the club to explain.  But... Simply put.. Just keep to supporting the team and leave other issues outside the stadium.  Nothing to do with humour. 

22 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

All of us who go to games really enjoy what those in W7 do.  Noisy and colourful.  Doesn't mean they get things right every time. Neither do the club or the "authorities".  I thought the banner at Ibrox played out a now tired joke and was calculated to be offensive to our hosts.  As for Saturday's banner,  I am less clear on why this caused offence.  That is for the club to explain.  But... Simply put.. Just keep to supporting the team and leave other issues outside the stadium.  Nothing to do with humour. 

OK we’ll just disagree on that one then Ricky.

It's ludicrous  to be defending the board in this. We as fans have the right to protest and project our views against the board if we see fit. Surely free speech is a fundamental right? 

If they don't like whats being said against them then tough. They just need to deal with it. Are they going to throw everyone out if we start singing "Sack the board"? 

This is even more relevant in this instance where the club is part fan owned. It makes the whole situation even more farcical. 

Edited by LargsBud

10 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

It's ludicrous  to be defending the board in this. We as fans have the right to protest and project our views against the board if we see fit. Surely free speech is a fundamental right? 

If they don't like whats being said against them then tough. They just need to deal with it. Are they going to throw everyone out if we start singing "Sack the board"? 

This is even more relevant in this instance where the club is part fan owned. It makes the whole situation even more farcical. 

Free speach in football ? Managers can't put a negative view on refs when they make mistakes. 

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Free speach in football ? Managers can't put a negative view on refs when they make mistakes. 

That's for another thread but, suffice to say, IF the criticism is, 1)Justified and  2) Not personally offensive, then it sullies the reputation of all party to the introduction of this rule.

17 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Disgarceful behaviour by jobsworth stewards.

The club owe a grovelling apology to the fans for this embarassing amatuerish display of utter nonsense.

Some clarity should be offered on

1)  What power were the stewards relying on when seizing the private property of someone else?

2) If such a power relies on "offence" then what exacly is offensive about this banner?

3) Identify the individual who made this moronic decison

Furthermore

If the lads in w7 were to make some t-shirts stating "fans not criminals" please let me know as I would happily buy one and wear it at the ground.  If a jumped up stward wishes to rip my t-shirt from me he/she will have a walking stick firmly lodged in the rectum.

In conclusion, this is a crock of excrement.  We do not need such small minded idiots in the employ of our great club.

Stewards would have been directed to do that from the Watch Commanders box , unlikely it would have come from the Police more likely from St Mirren end.

It’s easy to say banners should be all about football, if you haven’t been in your house with your family at 9am, received a chap at the door from police, trying to get you to become an informant - just because you sing and make flags for fitba matches.

The police seem to be acting on the assumption that any group that go to matches are a potential threat. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? It’s wrong and needs to be pointed out, as a matter of principle.

The fact that the stewards were given instructions to get rid of the banner,  pretty much proves the point that the authorities are desperate to clamp down on any defiance to these tactics - despite the fact that the message didn’t break any of our stadiums policies. 

Find it hilarious that people on here seem to think the NB boys are playing the victim. If the shoe  was on the other foot and they had there doors getting rattled early in the morning for supporting their club, I’d guarantee they’re attitude towards this would be different. 

Open forum I know but don’t start blasting the boys when you know little to non of the story.

Paisley is swarming with crime yet the police actually have 2 police officers tasked to watch a supporters group sing songs. Absolute waste of money!

also celtics “shagger” banner, why was that not removed ? Surely if scum is so offensive so should shagger ?