Jump to content

magnus

Club statement please on police activity in W7

Recommended Posts

Here's the thing. I get the club wanting to check a banner to make sure it isn't something that could be regarded as offensive or criminal in nature, but beyond that it is none of their damn business what message the fans want to project, they have absolutely NO business taking any action or confiscating a banner like this. None.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Club only want the Home support to display banners in support of the Club. Nothing else. Simple rule to follow. It is just stupid when you are told not to proceed then go ahead anyway. You end up alienating yourself from self inflicted wounds. You may not agree with the rule but that is what is in force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The Club only want the Home support to display banners in support of the Club. Nothing else. Simple rule to follow. It is just stupid when you are told not to proceed then go ahead anyway. You end up alienating yourself from self inflicted wounds. You may not agree with the rule but that is what is in force.

Given fans were tried to be recruited by Police to spy for them I can understand why the banner was shown. The Celtic banner was not taken down by stewards you have to ask why. If we had a holigan section I would understand we don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IOBS. Find myself agreeing with both Sonny and yourself on this.  In my view Posters and/ or songs should support the club and not to offer political statements or abuse the opposition.  Agree that this same approach should be applied to All supporters attending games,  whether home or away supporters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feck me! Have some really been so indoctrinated that they actually believe the club have a right to remove banners that they don't like? Banners that are not abusive but informative. The banner in question merely displayed the truth. no harm. No foul.

Only a self righteous idiot would think the powers that be should have the right to prevent free speech. This attempt at sanitising so many walks of life is crazy.

Absolute Horseshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Feck me! Have some really been so indoctrinated that they actually believe the club have a right to remove banners that they don't like? Banners that are not abusive but informative. The banner in question merely displayed the truth. no harm. No foul.

Only a self righteous idiot would think the powers that be should have the right to prevent free speech. This attempt at sanitising so many walks of life is crazy.

Absolute Horseshit.

The thing is the owners of any venue (football stadium, cinema, museum, shopping mall etc etc) have every right to set conditions for entry. Usually printed on your ticket or displayed elsewhere in the venue's policies. ( As an aside as a photographer I am well aware that I cannot photograph without permission is such venues.) . You may not agree with the conditions but the owners can set them and enforce them. St Mirren's policies are clearly stated on their website  https://www.stmirren.com/club/about-st-mirren/club-policies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the banner break SPFL rules?   NO

Did the banner break club rules?  NO 

Did the club shite it to allow us to display a non offensive football related banner? YES

Did we display it anyway as the club have done us wrong? Yes 

CXl8vss_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Did the club seek approval from the Police? Who knows they shut us out of the conversations which took place after the SLO told the club he seen no issue with the statement on the banner.

All the fans on here can put there blinkers on all yous want half of you on this don’t even go to games.

We’re not criminals and will not be treated as such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The thing is the owners of any venue (football stadium, cinema, museum, shopping mall etc etc) have every right to set conditions for entry. Usually printed on your ticket or displayed elsewhere in the venue's policies. ( As an aside as a photographer I am well aware that I cannot photograph without permission is such venues.) . You may not agree with the conditions but the owners can set them and enforce them. St Mirren's policies are clearly stated on their website  https://www.stmirren.com/club/about-st-mirren/club-policies

A few questions need to be asked then.

Why pick on this banner/flag when there are so many?  The obvious answer is the club officials didn't like the slogan. It was not political. It was about fans who are the lifeblood of the club therefore, as such, was "football related".

Were the celtic banners subject to the same scrutiny/confiscation? Did they show proof of fire safety standards? I would hazard that as No.

IF the club make rules then those rules should be  for all. Not just the easy targets.

Though the policies appear clear they are subject to the whims of those enforcing them. There are often black and white chequered flags waved within the ground. Are they removed? No. Why? Because the powers that be are not intimidated by the message. SIMPLE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Suggestion said:

Did the banner break SPFL rules?   NO

Did the banner break club rules?  NO 

Did the club shite it to allow us to display a non offensive football related banner? YES

Did we display it anyway as the club have done us wrong? Yes 

CXl8vss_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Did the club seek approval from the Police? Who knows they shut us out of the conversations which took place after the SLO told the club he seen no issue with the statement on the banner.

All the fans on here can put there blinkers on all yous want half of you on this don’t even go to games.

We’re not criminals and will not be treated as such. 

Out of interest, who are these "half don't go to games" people? 

Not sure that's really relevant, people can, and are allowed, comment on issues concerning the club.

Overall I'm disappointed that there seems to be a breakdown between the club and this group who, overall, have been an important part of the last couple of seasons.

The recent, and obvious, breakdown seems to have resulted in an attempt to see who's got the biggest balls.

No winners here IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Feck me! Have some really been so indoctrinated that they actually believe the club have a right to remove banners that they don't like? Banners that are not abusive but informative. The banner in question merely displayed the truth. no harm. No foul.

Only a self righteous idiot would think the powers that be should have the right to prevent free speech. This attempt at sanitising so many walks of life is crazy.

Absolute Horseshit.

Absolutely spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many others, I am genuinely puzzled why this banner was removed.

If it was under the heading of “offensive” Offensive to whom ? Did anyone complain and ask for it to be removed ?

As I said earlier , it wasn’t Racist, sectarian , abusive or derogatory nor illegal in any way.

I know others have commented on not getting wrapped up in what other fans are allowed to do but surely ground regulations MUST be applied fairly and equally to all fans , if the Club do not apply these rules fairly then the Club itself may well be accused of acting in a discriminatory manner.

Final point . The club still lists the Offensive behaviour at Football act as one of its guiding principles in these regulations. This act was repealed in April and has no standing in law, yet our Club do not seem to have realised this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suggestion said:

Did the banner break SPFL rules?   NO

Did the banner break club rules?  NO 

Did the club shite it to allow us to display a non offensive football related banner? YES

Did we display it anyway as the club have done us wrong? Yes 

CXl8vss_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Did the club seek approval from the Police? Who knows they shut us out of the conversations which took place after the SLO told the club he seen no issue with the statement on the banner.

All the fans on here can put there blinkers on all yous want half of you on this don’t even go to games.

We’re not criminals and will not be treated as such. 

I don't regard the fans as criminals in any way.  Again,  I love the noise and colour from W7. Keep it up guys.  My only thought is (and yes I have also said this before) keep any banners and/or songs supportive of the Team.  That's why we are there I believe.  Leave politics and religion outside the stadium.  However,  you should be and are able to question the club on its policies as are we all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't regard the fans as criminals in any way.  Again,  I love the noise and colour from W7. Keep it up guys.  My only thought is (and yes I have also said this before) keep any banners and/or songs supportive of the Team.  That's why we are there I believe.  Leave politics and religion outside the stadium.  However,  you should be and are able to question the club on its policies as are we all. 

What political or religious beliefs do W7 have St R ? To my knowledge none at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, munoz said:

What political or religious beliefs do W7 have St R ? To my knowledge none at all. 

And I like it that way. My point is simple.  Don't get sucked into these areas.  Keep the focus on supporting the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

And I like it that way. My point is simple.  Don't get sucked into these areas.  Keep the focus on supporting the team.  

That's what they have been doing , but being victimised by the police for their efforts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where in the most recent banner or the one at Ibrox if it comes to that was there mention of our team? 

I am also a fan with a season ticket but don't feel victimised.  Already said,  I agree that the police could have handled the whole thing better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, munoz said:

That's what they have been doing , but being victimised by the police for their efforts.  

Exactly. A couple of banners have sailed closed to the wind. Take the banner at Ibrox (which I absolutely f*cking loved btw). At face value it could be regarded by some as both offensive and inflammatory. Offensive for the use of a sweary word and inflammatory for pointing out that said club was dead and that their home city was indeed “shite”. However, when taken in context that the banner was an extremely clever and humorous response to the planned tifo, it takes on a whole new light. Only a humorless fud would take offense to that or by riled by it.

However, the banner on Friday night was none of these things. It was pointing a finger at the club though and that clearly won’t be tolerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Exactly. A couple of banners have sailed closed to the wind. Take the banner at Ibrox (which I absolutely f*cking loved btw). At face value it could be regarded by some as both offensive and inflammatory. Offensive for the use of a sweary word and inflammatory for pointing out that said club was dead and that their home city was indeed “shite”. However, when taken in context that the banner was an extremely clever and humorous response to the planned tifo, it takes on a whole new light. Only a humorless fud would take offense to that or by riled by it.

However, the banner on Friday night was none of these things. It was pointing a finger at the club though and that clearly won’t be tolerated.

All of us who go to games really enjoy what those in W7 do.  Noisy and colourful.  Doesn't mean they get things right every time. Neither do the club or the "authorities".  I thought the banner at Ibrox played out a now tired joke and was calculated to be offensive to our hosts.  As for Saturday's banner,  I am less clear on why this caused offence.  That is for the club to explain.  But... Simply put.. Just keep to supporting the team and leave other issues outside the stadium.  Nothing to do with humour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

All of us who go to games really enjoy what those in W7 do.  Noisy and colourful.  Doesn't mean they get things right every time. Neither do the club or the "authorities".  I thought the banner at Ibrox played out a now tired joke and was calculated to be offensive to our hosts.  As for Saturday's banner,  I am less clear on why this caused offence.  That is for the club to explain.  But... Simply put.. Just keep to supporting the team and leave other issues outside the stadium.  Nothing to do with humour. 

OK we’ll just disagree on that one then Ricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ludicrous  to be defending the board in this. We as fans have the right to protest and project our views against the board if we see fit. Surely free speech is a fundamental right? 

If they don't like whats being said against them then tough. They just need to deal with it. Are they going to throw everyone out if we start singing "Sack the board"? 

This is even more relevant in this instance where the club is part fan owned. It makes the whole situation even more farcical. 

Edited by LargsBud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

It's ludicrous  to be defending the board in this. We as fans have the right to protest and project our views against the board if we see fit. Surely free speech is a fundamental right? 

If they don't like whats being said against them then tough. They just need to deal with it. Are they going to throw everyone out if we start singing "Sack the board"? 

This is even more relevant in this instance where the club is part fan owned. It makes the whole situation even more farcical. 

Free speach in football ? Managers can't put a negative view on refs when they make mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Free speach in football ? Managers can't put a negative view on refs when they make mistakes. 

That's for another thread but, suffice to say, IF the criticism is, 1)Justified and  2) Not personally offensive, then it sullies the reputation of all party to the introduction of this rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×